Re: barrier coat

  • mc1001@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
      Thanks, everyone! JM

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

      > Dave is right on the money.
      >
      > If you have the hull blasted, the bottom is a mess as they are going to cut though gelcoat no matter how hard they try not to and they need to where you have real osmossis.
      >
      > 4-6 coats done properly will leave a surface similiar to what it felt like coming out of the mold in Maine.
      >
      > I am now a believer in hot coating the bottom with your bottom paint.  I did this last year and the boat was faster because it was so smooth.

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
        I soda blasted the bottom of my Sabre 402 and then put on 6 coats of interprotect followed by two coats of antifouling. Its now 5 years old and except for one repeat antifouling it has been great. It is worth alternating colours of the paints so that when sanding you can see the thin spots. The hardest work was sanding the interprotect after to make a smooth bottom as it "orange peeled" on application. I think it well worth the cost an effort. Your bottom should be fine for years. Mike S 402 #37

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@..." <mc1001@...> wrote:

        > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too?
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks, JM

      • GRAHAM BROADHURST
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
          That is exactly what I did to my 34. Orange peel only appeared on the last coat of the day.  Then I sanded back and put on two more coats and antifoul
          It has been 8 years now and each year it gets smoother and smoother
          Graham S34 Fearless

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
            The first thing to do is to evaluate the condition of the hull's veil layer. If it's dry and there's no sign of hydrolysis or inadequate wet-out then a barrier coat would be redundant. The best barrier to water intrusion into a hull is a resin-rich veil layer. This principle is behind Sabre's DuraLam system.

            If the laminate is either wet and/or there are signs of hydrolysis or inadequate wet-out the failed laminate should be removed. Then a new laminate should be applied by molding chopped-strand mat and a high quality resin together using a serrated resin roller. The primary purpose of the new laminate is to form a new resin-rich veil layer. Vinylester or polyester resin should be finished with polyester gelcoat (NPG ISO). Epoxy resin should be left unfinished.

            Bob Hunt
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
              Two Interprotect tricks:
              Use a short nap rollller to minimize orange peel
              Alternate white and gray coats so you can see where you've painted

              Pete

              On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Mike <mikecnewbury76@...> wrote:

              I soda blasted the bottom of my Sabre 402 and then put on 6 coats of interprotect followed by two coats of antifouling. Its now 5 years old and except for one repeat antifouling it has been great. It is worth alternating colours of the paints so that when sanding you can see the thin spots. The hardest work was sanding the interprotect after to make a smooth bottom as it "orange peeled" on application. I think it well worth the cost an effort. Your bottom should be fine for years. Mike S 402 #37

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@..." <mc1001@...> wrote:

              > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too?
              > Any thoughts?
              >
              > Thanks, JM

            • Bob Jenning
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                General question regarding a barrier coat.

                How does one deal with the stands?  Do you put wax paper on the stands & move them around or go around them, then go back to attack those areas?

                Bob

                Use a short nap rollller to minimize orange peel
                Alternate white and gray coats so you can see where you've painted

                Pete
                On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Mike <mikecnewbury76@...> wrote:

                I soda blasted the bottom of my Sabre 402 and then put on 6 coats of interprotect followed by two coats of antifouling. Its now 5 years old and except for one repeat antifouling it has been great. It is worth alternating colours of the paints so that when sanding you can see the thin spots. The hardest work was sanding the interprotect after to make a smooth bottom as it "orange peeled" on application. I think it well worth the cost an effort. Your bottom should be fine for years. Mike S 402 #37
                --- In mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@..." <mc1001@...> wrote: > > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too? > Any thoughts? > > Thanks, JM >
              • Richard Coerse
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                  Bob.

                  The boatyard where I have Early Light hauled will not let the boat owner move the stands, their personnel must move them (they say it is a liability issue) so be sure you check with your yard first.  I have not done a barrier coat but when I bottom paint, I paint around the stands, then the next day have the yard move them (they use wax paper when they reposition them) then I prep and paint where the stands were originally.

                  Dick Coerse
                  "Early Light"
                  1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
                  Solomons, MD

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                    If your yard will not let you move stands, then paint around the stands with each coat about 1" further out. When you've gotten all barrier coats on, do your bottom paint.  Do the first coat "hot" while the last barrier coat is tacky, but firm enough the show a fingerprint.
                    Subsequent coats usually need 24 hrs drying time, but check the label. When done, have the yard move the stands, sand the eges of the barrier around the bare spots, and do your barrier coats and bottom paint.
                    The good news is you can do a coat of Interprotect every 3-4 hours at 70 degrees.
                    Pete