Re: Jib Sheets

  • avatar30hawaii
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 6, 2012
      Aloha,
      At this site:http://sailing.about.com/od/equipmentgear/ss/softshacklehowto.htmyou can learn how to put a soft schackle on your jib sheets. It works great.

      Duke

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Chas" <chodgmanjr@...> wrote:

      > I use the single line and cowhitch method, and far from sllipping, it takes several minutes with a marlinspike each fall to undo the lin! Charlie 1979 S34MkI #62 Pajama Girl.
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Laino <djlaino@> wrote:
      > >
      > > All good advice, Dave and Sid.  Like all things, it is a trade-off.  The splice seems best to solve "KITS" but presents the most time-consuming means of attaching and detaching the sheets.  I like Dave's suggestion of seizing the line.  It seems a fair trade-off between reduced "KITS" and additional work in attaching and detaching sheets.  I'll consider it next time jibsheets need replacing.
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • Charles Sidwa
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 2012
        If both the port and starboard jib sheets get loaded won't the whipping just get torn out?  If that is not an issue I really like it.

        Charlie

        > I use the single line and cowhitch method, and far from sllipping, it takes several minutes with a marlinspike each fall to undo the lin! Charlie 1979 S34MkI #62 Pajama Girl.
        >
        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Laino <djlaino@> wrote:
        > >
        > > All good advice, Dave and Sid.  Like all things, it is a trade-off.  The splice seems best to solve "KITS" but presents the most time-consuming means of attaching and detaching the sheets.  I like Dave's suggestion of seizing the line.  It seems a fair trade-off between reduced "KITS" and additional work in attaching and detaching sheets.  I'll consider it next time jibsheets need replacing.
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • Richard Coerse
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 6, 2012
          I have used the "soft shackle" to attach jib sheets for several years now and it really works well.

          Dick Coerse
          "Early Light"
          1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
          Solomons, MD

          avatar30hawaii wrote:

          Aloha,
          At this site:http://sailing.about.com/od/equipmentgear/ss/softshacklehowto.htmyou can learn how to put a soft schackle on your jib sheets. It works great.

          Duke

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Chas" <chodgmanjr@...> wrote:

          > I use the single line and cowhitch method, and far from sllipping, it takes several minutes with a marlinspike each fall to undo the lin! Charlie 1979 S34MkI #62 Pajama Girl.
          >
          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Laino <djlaino@> wrote:
          > >
          > > All good advice, Dave and Sid.  Like all things, it is a trade-off.  The splice seems best to solve "KITS" but presents the most time-consuming means of attaching and detaching the sheets.  I like Dave's suggestion of seizing the line.  It seems a fair trade-off between reduced "KITS" and additional work in attaching and detaching sheets.  I'll consider it next time jibsheets need replacing.
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • Dan Trainor
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 6, 2012
            I use the single line cow hitch method also.  Once it is tighten, i have found it doesn't slip.  A Marlin spike required to undo.

            --
            Dan

          • Sid
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 8, 2012
              That looks cool, but I'm a bit confused. Dick. It seems that with two sheets attached, you would have 4 lines running thru the clew (two doubled loops), which either means a huge clew grommet, or very light sheets.

              Also, it is not clear how this method avoids KITS.

              Sid

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Richard Coerse <rcoerse@...> wrote:

              > I have used the "soft shackle" to attach jib sheets for several years
              > now and it really works well.
              >

              > Dick Coerse
              > "Early Light"
              > 1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
              > Solomons, MD
              >

              > avatar30hawaii wrote:
              > >

              > > Aloha,
              > > At this
              > > site:http://sailing.about.com/od/equipmentgear/ss/softshacklehowto.htmyou
              > > can learn how to put a soft schackle on your jib sheets. It works great.
              > >
              > > Duke
              > >
              > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>, "Chas" <chodgmanjr@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I use the single line and cowhitch method, and far from sllipping,
              > > it takes several minutes with a marlinspike each fall to undo the lin!
              > > Charlie 1979 S34MkI #62 Pajama Girl.
              > > >
              > > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

              > > trade-off. The splice seems best to solve "KITS" but presents the
              > > most time-consuming means of attaching and detaching the sheets. I
              > > like Dave's suggestion of seizing the line. It seems a fair
              > > trade-off between reduced "KITS" and additional work in attaching and
              > > detaching sheets. I'll consider it next time jibsheets need replacing.

            • Richard Coerse
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 8, 2012
                Sid,

                The port and starboard sheets are all one piece if line.

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
                  Thanks Dave. Yes, it is fun trying to figure this out. I have an MC Scow. That's easy!

                  Appreciate the response!

                  Jack

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 29 5:40 AM
                    On a whim, I stopped at Bacon's in Annapolis on my way home yesterday.  I left with 100' of 7/16 Regatta braid at a 10% lower price than APS or Defender,
                    Plus, it's a local merchant and a generally cool place to visit. Their selection of new gear is increasing and the prices are exceptionally competitive.
                    The only drawback is allowing enough extra time to wander the shelves of used gear for sale.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 29 5:23 PM
                      Heads up on Regatta braid.  Whip the ends.