Winter covers

  • Richard Coerse
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
      Has anyone on this forum had any experience with winter covers from shipshapecovers.com in Deluth, Minnesota?  Their prices seem quite reasonable.  I worry about the fit since the do not come to the boat to measure.  Any and all comments etc. are appreciated.

      Thx,

      Dick Coerse
      "Early Light"
      1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
      Solomons, MD

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
        Dick,

        When I bought my Fairclough cover the fit was perfect and they never measured the boat. If you have a pretty standard boat and they have built one for a 34 before, they can probably make one that fits without measuring.

        Dave

        On Dec 5, 2012, at 6:11 PM, Richard Coerse wrote:

        Has anyone on this forum had any experience with winter covers from shipshapecovers.com in Deluth, Minnesota?  Their prices seem quite reasonable.  I worry about the fit since the do not come to the boat to measure.  Any and all comments etc. are appreciated.

        Thx,

        <74.gif>
        Dick Coerse
        "Early Light"
        1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
        Solomons, MD

      • Alan
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
          Dick,

          I bought a frame and canvass cover from Miller Marine Canvass, Milford, CT (http://www.millermarinecanvas.com/) three years ago. We ordered in March or April to get the "early order discount".  They came out to measure our S 34 MkI  #162 because they weren't certain the previous S34 cover they made was for a Mk I or II.  We are very pleased with the cover.  It's very sturdy, easy to assemble and disassemble, and pays for itself after three years here in NE (yard charges about $875 to shrink wrap with the mast up).  Since we got our cover from them, they have sold several others in our storage yard.  Everyone so far seems to be very pleased.

          If I recall correctly, your boat was made a couple of hulls before or after ours.  They could use the same basic measurements.  You would just need to supply them with any adjustments you might need/want regarding appendages (I have no bow roller, I have a rail mounted GPS antenna they made a special "pocket" for, etc.

          Judd Miller used to work for Fairclough, so the designs are very similar.  Miller is usually a couple hundred cheaper than Fairclough.  It might be worth a call.

          Best of luck with your search.

          Alan T.

          On 12/05/12, Richard Coerse<rcoerse@...> wrote:

[...]

        • vanbeckump
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
            Ditto on all of Alan T's comments. My Miller Canvas cover is five years old and going strong. They came and measured then installed the first year. I am completely satisfied.

            Peter Van Beckum
            S-30 mk3 "DUET"
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2012
              Dick -
              One of their covers was on a Cheoy Lee ketch at Herrington North.  I was so impressed I brought a ladder over to read the logo.  When I called Shipshape, the owner, said that he had a local guy (owner of the Cheoy Lee it turns out) who would measure if he did not have a pattern. I figure that if his covers can hold up to one even Duluth winter, Maryland is a piece of cake.
              He gave me a great price, but a friend with a sister ship sold his boat, sans winter cover, and I got an even better deal.
              Pete

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2012
                Thanks to all of you for your inputs on winter covers!  As usual, lots of good info from the forum members.

                Dick Coerse
                "Early Light"
                1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
                Solomons, MD