barrier coat

  • mc1001@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
      A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too?
      Any thoughts?

      Thanks, JM
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
        Yes.  Put a barrier coat on, compared to repairing blisters later on it is very cheap.

        Dave

        On Dec 5, 2012, at 2:38 PM, mc1001@... wrote:

        A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too?
        Any thoughts?

        Thanks, JM

      • GRAHAM BROADHURST
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
          Absolutely - put on the barrier coat if you have to the trouble and expense of getting it cleaned down
          Graham S34

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
            If you have the boat soda blasted and you refair (or have refaired) the strut and through hulls, a DIY barrier coat is literally just mixing & rolling on 6 coats, assuming your yard allows it.  Even though your 36 probably has a vinylester layer (86 & later), an epoxy barrier coat is a really good idea if you've gone to the time and expense of soda blasting.
            Pete

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
              Interesting "value" question. Many folks the world over have spent fortunes repairing blisters (or just plain scrapped bad cases). I'm sure every one of them wishes someone earlier in line had barrier coated their boat.

              But here's the question. Many of our boats are 20-30 years old. While we may have caked on bottom paint that warrants a blasting job, one has to wonder if there is any value to the barrier coat. Will a boat decide after 20 years to start blistering? Or have the boats that haven't blistered yet been tested by time and are immune?

              If I had a freshly blasted hull, I sure would be tempted to do it though!

              Harry

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                The big selling point for barrier coats has been blister prevention and repair. A second reason is to provide a really hard smooth surface. Some of the gelcoat is likely to be damaged when the old paint is removed and the surface sanded in preparation for bottom paint. Applying 4-6 coats of IP 2000e will give you a hard surface that can be sanded smooth yielding a good surface for bottom paint. While I've read about and struggled with removing, some bottom paints can be hot coated on the barrier coat yielding a very smooth bottom.  Check out the Interlux site for more information. Their tech reps will usually respond quickly to any questions.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                  Dave is right on the money.

                  If you have the hull blasted, the bottom is a mess as they are going to cut though gelcoat no matter how hard they try not to and they need to where you have real osmossis.

                  4-6 coats done properly will leave a surface similiar to what it felt like coming out of the mold in Maine.

                  I am now a believer in hot coating the bottom with your bottom paint.  I did this last year and the boat was faster because it was so smooth.

                • mc1001@rocketmail.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
                    Thanks, everyone! JM

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

                    > Dave is right on the money.
                    >
                    > If you have the hull blasted, the bottom is a mess as they are going to cut though gelcoat no matter how hard they try not to and they need to where you have real osmossis.
                    >
                    > 4-6 coats done properly will leave a surface similiar to what it felt like coming out of the mold in Maine.
                    >
                    > I am now a believer in hot coating the bottom with your bottom paint.  I did this last year and the boat was faster because it was so smooth.

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                      I soda blasted the bottom of my Sabre 402 and then put on 6 coats of interprotect followed by two coats of antifouling. Its now 5 years old and except for one repeat antifouling it has been great. It is worth alternating colours of the paints so that when sanding you can see the thin spots. The hardest work was sanding the interprotect after to make a smooth bottom as it "orange peeled" on application. I think it well worth the cost an effort. Your bottom should be fine for years. Mike S 402 #37

                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@..." <mc1001@...> wrote:

                      > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too?
                      > Any thoughts?
                      >
                      > Thanks, JM

                    • GRAHAM BROADHURST
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                        That is exactly what I did to my 34. Orange peel only appeared on the last coat of the day.  Then I sanded back and put on two more coats and antifoul
                        It has been 8 years now and each year it gets smoother and smoother
                        Graham S34 Fearless

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                          The first thing to do is to evaluate the condition of the hull's veil layer. If it's dry and there's no sign of hydrolysis or inadequate wet-out then a barrier coat would be redundant. The best barrier to water intrusion into a hull is a resin-rich veil layer. This principle is behind Sabre's DuraLam system.

                          If the laminate is either wet and/or there are signs of hydrolysis or inadequate wet-out the failed laminate should be removed. Then a new laminate should be applied by molding chopped-strand mat and a high quality resin together using a serrated resin roller. The primary purpose of the new laminate is to form a new resin-rich veil layer. Vinylester or polyester resin should be finished with polyester gelcoat (NPG ISO). Epoxy resin should be left unfinished.

                          Bob Hunt
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                            Two Interprotect tricks:
                            Use a short nap rollller to minimize orange peel
                            Alternate white and gray coats so you can see where you've painted

                            Pete

                            On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Mike <mikecnewbury76@...> wrote:

                            I soda blasted the bottom of my Sabre 402 and then put on 6 coats of interprotect followed by two coats of antifouling. Its now 5 years old and except for one repeat antifouling it has been great. It is worth alternating colours of the paints so that when sanding you can see the thin spots. The hardest work was sanding the interprotect after to make a smooth bottom as it "orange peeled" on application. I think it well worth the cost an effort. Your bottom should be fine for years. Mike S 402 #37

                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@..." <mc1001@...> wrote:

                            > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too?
                            > Any thoughts?
                            >
                            > Thanks, JM

                          • Bob Jenning
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                              General question regarding a barrier coat.

                              How does one deal with the stands?  Do you put wax paper on the stands & move them around or go around them, then go back to attack those areas?

                              Bob

                              Use a short nap rollller to minimize orange peel
                              Alternate white and gray coats so you can see where you've painted

                              Pete
                              On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Mike <mikecnewbury76@...> wrote:

                              I soda blasted the bottom of my Sabre 402 and then put on 6 coats of interprotect followed by two coats of antifouling. Its now 5 years old and except for one repeat antifouling it has been great. It is worth alternating colours of the paints so that when sanding you can see the thin spots. The hardest work was sanding the interprotect after to make a smooth bottom as it "orange peeled" on application. I think it well worth the cost an effort. Your bottom should be fine for years. Mike S 402 #37
                              --- In mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@..." <mc1001@...> wrote: > > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too? > Any thoughts? > > Thanks, JM >
                            • Richard Coerse
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                                Bob.

                                The boatyard where I have Early Light hauled will not let the boat owner move the stands, their personnel must move them (they say it is a liability issue) so be sure you check with your yard first.  I have not done a barrier coat but when I bottom paint, I paint around the stands, then the next day have the yard move them (they use wax paper when they reposition them) then I prep and paint where the stands were originally.

                                Dick Coerse
                                "Early Light"
                                1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
                                Solomons, MD

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                                  If your yard will not let you move stands, then paint around the stands with each coat about 1" further out. When you've gotten all barrier coats on, do your bottom paint.  Do the first coat "hot" while the last barrier coat is tacky, but firm enough the show a fingerprint.
                                  Subsequent coats usually need 24 hrs drying time, but check the label. When done, have the yard move the stands, sand the eges of the barrier around the bare spots, and do your barrier coats and bottom paint.
                                  The good news is you can do a coat of Interprotect every 3-4 hours at 70 degrees.
                                  Pete