Re: Considering Sabre 362

  • rayjanine2002
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2012
      Hi:

      I have a 1993 Sabre 362 with approx. 1300 hrs on my Westerbeke 32hp. The Yanmars are good engines but not sure how long they will last vs the Westerbeke. Best to review Diesel.com or another diesel engine forum to compare engines. Jules did some engine maintenance recently but that was on a Westerbeke. I have had no problems with my engine. The 362 handles heavy seas (13 plus waveheights) very well and is a very stable boat. The interior storage space is pretty good and the newer boats have even more storage under the berths (starboard berth is a water tank on my boat but later Sabres moved the watertank to under the forward V berth). The hull really cuts thru the chop and just glides thru the water at around 7 knots with 15 knots of wind. I really love my boat and cannot think of a better boat for the money. They really hold their value over time also. This is a great site for Sabre owners and they all are really helpful if you have any questions. Best of luck on your survey for the boat and hope you enjoy the 362 as much as I do.

      Kind Regards,

      Ray
      362 Second Wind
    • offshore_eddy
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
        Thanks Ray for your insight. This site is really fantastic and the feedback from you and other group members has been very, very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "rayjanine2002" <rayjanine@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I have a 1993 Sabre 362 with approx. 1300 hrs on my Westerbeke 32hp. The Yanmars are good engines but not sure how long they will last vs the Westerbeke. Best to review Diesel.com or another diesel engine forum to compare engines. Jules did some engine maintenance recently but that was on a Westerbeke. I have had no problems with my engine. The 362 handles heavy seas (13 plus waveheights) very well and is a very stable boat. The interior storage space is pretty good and the newer boats have even more storage under the berths (starboard berth is a water tank on my boat but later Sabres moved the watertank to under the forward V berth). The hull really cuts thru the chop and just glides thru the water at around 7 knots with 15 knots of wind. I really love my boat and cannot think of a better boat for the money. They really hold their value over time also. This is a great site for Sabre owners and they all are really helpful if you have any questions. Best of luck on your survey for the boat and hope you enjoy the 362 as much as I do.
        >
        > Kind Regards,
        >
        > Ray
        > 362 Second Wind

      • Neil Russell
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
          Hi,

          If you are on the north shore any time soon and want to touch base, contact me off list.
          We have a 2003, hull 266, wing keel based out of Salem MA.

          You didn't mention your intended usage - live-aboard or Caribbean cruising would be majorly different
          than the sailing we usually do and storage might be a little bit of an issue for you. Never been
          a problem for just the 2 of us on two-week trips. I know others who do 4 - 5 weeks with seemingly
          no storage problems (altho of course you can always use more).

          We mostly do day sailing and weekend overnights, but with 4 longer cruises to LI and Maine, and several week trips to "the islands"
          and Buzzard's Bay. Engine is the W35, we've got around 900 hours as a reference point.

          Engine hours are probably less of an indicator of wear and tear, than the maintenance schedule
          and usage pattern on a diesel, from my understanding.
          Our prior (non-Sabre) boat was about 19 years old with original Yanmar, no major issues in the years we owned it,
          but I don't recall the engine hours. Also the usage pattern - running it long hours at 2/3 is a lot different than
          running full throttle for those same hours.

          We put hooks on the backsides of the two little locker doors in the shower and the aft compartment.
          Wet stuff goes in shower, damp stuff can hang in aft cabin (towels, etc) if no one is occupying that cabin.
          We love that the shower is tucked away aft of the head for this exact reason. We looked at other boats
          with the reverse layout - you stepped thru the shower to reach the head...made no sense to me...

          Our Maine cruises have been with 5 or 6 crew along for 2 - 3 days. We really should have a lee cloth or two in the main salon
          but we've made do by rotating thru the forward and aft bunks on overnight legs.

          Handling in smaller chop off Boston or in Buzzards Bay (2 - 4 ft) is no problem at all if you have decent breeze
          to power you.The boat mostly wants to go straight. Motoring flat through the waves isn't quite as nice.
          Downwind in big waves - the boat tends to slide a bit and needs a little tweak as you come down a wave,
          but this is probably typical of a relatively narrow hull designed to sail well in moderate breeze.

          Needs about 7 - 8 knots breeze upwind to make 4  knots in small waves, more like 10 - 12 off the wind for similar speed
          or in bigger chop.

          "Whisper"
          S362-266
          Salem MA

          On Nov 30, 2012, at 12:26 PM, J Barry <offshore_eddy@...> wrote:

          Hi:
          I am considering making an offer on a Sabre 362 and I would like to get some input regarding the following:
          1) Engine:  The boat has nearly 2,000 hrs on a Yanmar 38HP.  I know that it is difficult to guess, but does anyone have any thoughts on how soon I would need to re-power?  What are the chances that I can get another 500 hours out of the engine?   A survey has not been done yet, but the boat has been very well maintained and the engine is very clean.
          2) Stowage:  Storage space seems very limited; no true wet locker.  Space for supplies is limited.  Are there any 362 owners in the group who can comment if this has been an issue for them?
          3) Sailing in Chop: We sail in a lot of chop (Buzzards Bay) and wanted to get some feedback on how well 362s sail in heavy seas.

          Thanks!

        • mookiesurfs@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
            That engine should last years more. I am far from a diesel expert, but word is between 5,000 and 10,000 hours on a Yanmar depending on maintenance and frequency of use.
            Bill B

            Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling

[...]

          • Jan
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
              Further to the discussion on Yanmars, we have friends who have been cruising in Mexico for five years on a 45' Hunter who have way over
              10,000 hours on their Yanmar. True, when he fires it up cold, it smokes like the start of a California forest fire leaving the anchorage under the cloud. Once he's a quarter mile out, it clears up just fine. We always tease him that it is an honest move to get under way and that he doesn't have to retire behind a smoke screen!

              Bye the way, I took out my W33 and replaced it with a Yanmar and am very happy with the switch.

              Jan S38 Mk I "Capriccio" Mazatlan, Mexico

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, mookiesurfs@... wrote:

              > That engine should last years more. I am far from a diesel expert, but word is between 5,000 and 10,000 hours on a Yanmar depending on maintenance and frequency of use.
              > Bill B
              >
              > Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling
              >
              > On Nov 30, 2012, at 12:26 PM, J Barry <offshore_eddy@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi:
              > > I am considering making an offer on a Sabre 362 and I would like to get some input regarding the following:
              > > 1) Engine: The boat has nearly 2,000 hrs on a Yanmar 38HP. I know that it is difficult to guess, but does anyone have any thoughts on how soon I would need to re-power? What are the chances that I can get another 500 hours out of the engine? A survey has not been done yet, but the boat has been very well maintained and the engine is very clean.
              > > 2) Stowage: Storage space seems very limited; no true wet locker. Space for supplies is limited. Are there any 362 owners in the group who can comment if this has been an issue for them?
              > > 3) Sailing in Chop: We sail in a lot of chop (Buzzards Bay) and wanted to get some feedback on how well 362s sail in heavy seas.
              > >
              > > Thanks!

            • offshore_eddy
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
                Thanks Bill. That seems to be the consensus.

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, mookiesurfs@... wrote:

                > That engine should last years more. I am far from a diesel expert, but word is between 5,000 and 10,000 hours on a Yanmar depending on maintenance and frequency of use.
                > Bill B
                >
                > Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling
                >
                > On Nov 30, 2012, at 12:26 PM, J Barry <offshore_eddy@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi:
                > > I am considering making an offer on a Sabre 362 and I would like to get some input regarding the following:
                > > 1) Engine: The boat has nearly 2,000 hrs on a Yanmar 38HP. I know that it is difficult to guess, but does anyone have any thoughts on how soon I would need to re-power? What are the chances that I can get another 500 hours out of the engine? A survey has not been done yet, but the boat has been very well maintained and the engine is very clean.
                > > 2) Stowage: Storage space seems very limited; no true wet locker. Space for supplies is limited. Are there any 362 owners in the group who can comment if this has been an issue for them?
                > > 3) Sailing in Chop: We sail in a lot of chop (Buzzards Bay) and wanted to get some feedback on how well 362s sail in heavy seas.
                > >
                > > Thanks!

              • offshore_eddy
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Muchas gracias Jan. A smoking engine is also a good way to rid an anchorage of mosquitoes!