Mast work over winter

  • tributesails
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
      The boat was hauled this morning alas, but I did have a nice sail yesterday getting her to the yard. Now the task of getting my winter project organized begins.

      I suspect that the conduit in my mast that the wires run in is loose. I tried to figure a way to reattach it from the outside but could not. My plan now is to take it out all together and rewire the mast. I will use the "big wire tie every 18 inches" method to prevent the wire slapping around in the future.

      So my question is; if you had your mast down and money was no object (ha!) what projects would you contemplate for your mast?

      Here are mine:

      1. rewire
      2. replace VHF antenna (does it make sense to add a FM/XM antenna?)
      3. replace masthead light (original) or at least get an led fixture in there.
      4. Add a spinn halyard (there is not one) or at least the bracket for one.
      5. inspect/replace sheaves

      Welcome all your responses and any opinions on wiring the mast.

      Cheers,

      Barry
      Tribute
      S34 MK1 #33
      Annapolis
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
        Barry,

        My mast is out for my cabin sole project, and so I'm doing the same thoughts you are. Some more:

        * Run a conduit up the mast for the wires (my wires are wire tied in place). Rig-Rite sells wire ties with a slug that run in that internal slot. I figure I'll wire tie around the conduit, and then run the mess up the slot. A conduit potentially allows wires to be replaced when the mast is up.
        * Wind instruments.
        * TV antenna?
        * Light for Windex?
        * New standing rigging (check out SECOSOUTH.COM)
        * New Lazy Jacks (I hate how mine came from the PO)
        * Spreader Boots
        * Deck light? The combo fixture I have is nearly worthless.
        * Second jib halyard?
        * Repaint? (ha! You did say money was no object!)

        I have the rather unique Schaefer mast, but we are sufficiently close in number that you may have the same. If you want to compare your mast to a '79 S34-I, I'm near the Red Hot and Blue on RT 50. I do have a spin halyard on mine.

        Harry
        Analysis
        '79 S34-I #063
        Mill Creek, Annapolis

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
          Definitely repaint the mast.

          I have painted two Sabre masts, and the results were excellent.  The first mast I repainted was on my former S28.  I used Interlux brightside, and the appropriate primer.  My second paint job was on my current S34 MKII.  This time I used Interlux Perfection.  If I remember correctly I used two coats of Interlux 2000e epoxy paint, sanding between coats, then one coat of two part primer, and then two coats of perfection.

          The most difficult part of the job was prepping the mast.  Ideally you could strip the mast completely of paint and then use an etching primer, but you will quickly realize that it will be almost impossible to strip it completely, and if there is any paint left on the mast the etching primer will react with it.

          Interlux advised me that the etching primer is used because aluminum oxidizes very quickly, and it is not necessary to use etching primer if the metal can be primed within 20-30 minutes of being sanded.  So my plan was to get my paint ready, and prep small enough areas of the mast so that no more than 20 minutes would elapse between sanding and painting.  I was able to use an orbital sander and quickly prepare about 10 feet of mast at a time.  I did not remove all of the paint, but were ever there was a chip or deep scratch, I made sure the metal was sanded to a bright finish, and the paint around the area was faired.  I then quickly painted the section.

          That first coat of epoxy primer was the worst part of the job, but after that  I was able to relax.

          It probably cost me $200 in materials.

          The mast has been through two seasons, and the couple of nicks that I put in it only went as deep as the primer.  It is beautiful, and it was well worth the effort.

          John
          S34 MKII

          ___________________________________

          Message 5 of 14 , Nov 18, 2012
            I like the mast painting technique.  It would save a ton of hours!

            [Attachment(s) from JOHN CALLIS included below]

            Message 6 of 14 , Nov 18, 2012
              John

              Nice photos.
              Nothing like letting the neighborhood know know who has the biggest stick in the neighborhood..  :<)

              Your 1st paragraph confuses me:
              This time I used Interlux Perfection.  If I remember correctly I used two coats of Interlux 2000e epoxy paint, sanding between coats, then one coat of two part primer, and then two coats of perfection.

              2000e is a epoxy barrier coat.  Did you put that on your mast?  And then you primered over it?

              Your next paragraph sound more like you sanded, and etch primered, sanded some more, and etch primered.  Am I correct?     Did you then use the perfection on top of the primer?

              How did you sand the sail track?

              Thanks.  Like others, I am about to drop my mast and do a complete rebuild as the wiring is 27 years old, I only want to do this one time.

              Regards

              john

              Message 7 of 14 , Nov 18, 2012
                I did use use epoxy barrier coat as my first coat of primer.  This was a rough coat and not that smooth.  I sanded that and recoated. Then sanded that and used the epoxy primecoat, then two coats of perfection, sanding in between coats.  I seem to remember two coats of interprotect, but it may have been one.

                Etching primer can only be used if all the paint is removed, as it will react with it.  Complete removal is almost impossible when you consider the sail track.   The inside of my sail track was not so bad so I only used a scotch bright pad in there.

                Below are the notes I took while discussing the project with an Interlux rep.  I would highly recommend speaking with them as they were very helpful.

                1. Wash with soap and water
                2. Sand to bright
                3. Vacuum clean.  No solvents or rags
                4. Prime with interprotect 2000E thinned 15% with 2316 or 2333n
                5. Sand smooth then epoxy primecoat.
                6. Sand smooth then Perfection
                7. Second coat of perfection can go on without sanding if it is within the re coat time

                John
                S34 MKII

                      Message 11 of 14 , Nov 18, 2012
                        Sorry, my bad typing, thanks for clarifying.

                        Allison

                        Message 12 of 14 , Nov 19, 2012
                          Barry

                          If you can find someone who can spray Awlgrip, the finish will be outstanding. The original color match is Matterhorn White. I did my S38 mast last spring. I did the bulk of the prep, but the guy spraying was more demanding. Cost me $800 for a professional spray finish, including two coats of Awlgrip primer. By the way, don't forget your boom while you're at it. I did mine the prior year and the results were so good I did the mast the next year.

                          Len Bertaux
                          Walkabout S38mkii

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "tributesails" <bdwyer@...> wrote:

                          > The boat was hauled this morning alas, but I did have a nice sail yesterday getting her to the yard. Now the task of getting my winter project organized begins.
                          >
                          > I suspect that the conduit in my mast that the wires run in is loose. I tried to figure a way to reattach it from the outside but could not. My plan now is to take it out all together and rewire the mast. I will use the "big wire tie every 18 inches" method to prevent the wire slapping around in the future.
                          >
                          > So my question is; if you had your mast down and money was no object (ha!) what projects would you contemplate for your mast?
                          >
                          > Here are mine:
                          >
                          > 1. rewire
                          > 2. replace VHF antenna (does it make sense to add a FM/XM antenna?)
                          > 3. replace masthead light (original) or at least get an led fixture in there.
                          > 4. Add a spinn halyard (there is not one) or at least the bracket for one.
                          > 5. inspect/replace sheaves
                          >
                          > Welcome all your responses and any opinions on wiring the mast.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Barry
                          > Tribute
                          > S34 MK1 #33
                          > Annapolis

                        • sabre32sailor
                          Message 13 of 14 , May 1 5:09 AM
                            Harry

                            Did you go through with pulling the wires and attaching to the track?

                            I have my factory wires attached with those Keyton cable ties that attach to the internal slide groove, but the groove looks pretty grotty. I am trying to determine how one gets the old wiring harness to come out. I am sure enough pressure will snap the nylon, but that will make the track useless for reuse.

                            Did you need to flush the groove out with anything like CLR to dissolve the corrosion, or just hose it out, or use a lube?

                            Inquiring minds want to know. I rather reuse the original setup with new ties than have to mar the mast with pop rivets every couple of feet to secure conduit.

                            Thanks

                            Message 14 of 14 , May 1 7:47 AM
                              Umm ... No. My cabin sole project has gotten so overwhelming that I have had to take a break -- I haven't worked on the boat at all since November. I'm also realizing that if I do all the "must do" items on my list, it will be a long time before the boat sails again (as in "years"). I've been looking real hard at the list, and scrubbing off important items that can't be done later, with the thought that there is no point in having the boat if I will be paying storage for another 2 years or more on top of the 2 years I've already wasted. Mast work has a lot on the scrub list. I'm not doing any rewiring, or fixing the anchor light, or putting up instruments, or replacing the VHF wire/antenna, or inspecting/replacing halyard sheaves, or replacing the standing rigging -- I'm not even going to have an operational jib furler when it goes back. I know that the cost and effort of a mast removal (close to $700, plus all the manpower to get it off the boat when I get home -- and back on afterwards) means I'll probably never get the chance again, but I need to set my objective at "nice 30 year old boat" and not "as good as new."

                              So, short answer, I don't have anything helpful to report.

                              Harry