anchor well hatch

  • John Horr
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
      Is the anchor well hatch on a Sabre 30-III  cored? The under side of mine has a few slight small blisters on it. I took it off before covering my boat and put it next to my furnace and let it really dry out. Most of the blisters disappeared but the few remaining oozed a bit of blackish water when I popped them. The hatch doesn't feel heavy so I don't think it is saturated. I can see how water could get in around the latch and hinge screws. Any thoughts?
    • DAVID LOCHNER
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
        John,

        Drill a hole from the underside to see if it is cored.  My guess is that it is. If it is cored and your core sample is wet drill a series of holes into the core, but not through the cover and let it dry out over the winter. Next spring fill the holes with thickened West System epoxy and paint the underside of the cover. More detailed instructions are on the West System website.  Look for repairing cored deck.

        Dave

        Sent from my iPad

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
          Dave,
          Thanks for the info. Where can I get the red bilge paint that Sabre uses? John

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
            John,

            If it is that maroon color, then it is probably gelcoat.  The color is probably mahogany and is available from minicraft.com in Florida.  They make a spray can that works like ordinary spray paint and it should work well in this application.  If is not mahogany, then I'm not sure. Check the minicraft website, if I recall correctly you send them a chip and they can color match.

            Dave

            Sent from my iPad