Re: Sandy's Devastation in Raritan Bay, NJ

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2012
      Sad, indeed.

      One curious observation. The general consensus, one heavily endorsed by BoatUS with their 50% cost share, is that boats are better on the hard than in the water. But, on moorings off the RYC, there are several small boats that look very well off. The one right in front of the club looks low in the water (or maybe just a low freeboard boat), but she is floating regardless. Every general rule has exceptions, and in this case it looks like a mooring was the place to be.

      Then, of course, there's the exception to that! We in Maryland had rather light winds and minimal surge. In the very protected creek I am on, there is one moored boat, a mid-30's yawl (looks like a Carl Alberg design). She survived the storm OK -- but her owner may be a bit confused -- she's about 200 yards down wind from where she used to be!

      Harry

      --- In Sabresailboat@..., "adamturinas" <adam@...> wrote:

      > We had it especially bad on Monday. Storm was at its highest at high lunar tide, blowing right down Raritan Bay.
      >
      > My club, Raritan Yacht Club was devastated. 30+ boats in the yard, smashed to pieces including Sinn Fein, multiple times winner of Newport-Bermuda. Buildings and stairs in the yard wiped out. But most importantly nobody hurt.
      >
      > My Sabre 38 MkII Cadence was on the hard in marina, up a creek, half a mile up from the Bay. The docks were were destroyed, dozens of yachts on the hard washed off their stands. Boats from neighbouring yards washed into ours.
      >
      > I was extremely lucky. Cadence was pinned in place by two other boats. A motor boat had washed up out of the creek held her starboard. To port, the next boat toppled over and pinned her from the other side. Cadence had two stands left by the morning but stayed in place. Some cosmetic damage and bashed up stanchions but I believe otherwsie intact.
      >
      > You can see phtos of my yacht, the yard and RYC on my blog:
      >
      > http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.com/sailing/
      >
      > I hope others escaped both personal and boat harm
      >
      > Adam
      > Cadence, S38 MkII 109

    • John Kalinowski
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2012
        We had all 200 of our boats on the hard with a minimum of 7 jackstands
        No issue

        The one boat in the water was found on the rocks

        If properly set up stands are good.
        Done wrong , I would rather be on my mooring

        Sent from my iPhone

      • mc1001@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2012
          I heard today that Lockwood got hit hard -- very hard, in fact. This is one of the problems that we face in the area. The folks who would usually fix our boats are otherwise occupied. I did in fact see my boat today -- and took some pictures. The surge moved it 90 degrees to the right and dropped it (I think - I would not get close) off the boat stands. The (new) bimini looks broken and the rigging looks very odd. What happened to the hull is still a guess. One thing is clear: there are millions of dollars of damage at Atlantic Highlands alone. Add Richmond and RYC and you have a boating disaster of monumental proportions. And that's just the start. Driving on the Garden State to the yard, I saw Morgan Marina. Many boats there looked like they have been thrown in piles by a huge angry child.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2012
            According to the description, it wasn't an issue with insufficient or poorly set jack stands -- the boats did what boats do, and floated! Down in Florida, some yards include screwed in ti-downs (like airports) with heavy strapping over the boat, but I'm not sure they could take more than a few inches over the water line -- a boat gets a LOT of lift when the water rises over the water line!

            I'll agree, good stand setup can help a lot to fight wind in the rigging, or waves pounding on the keel, but once the water rises to (or close to) the water line, all bets are off.

            Harry

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

            > We had all 200 of our boats on the hard with a minimum of 7 jackstands
            > No issue
            >
            > The one boat in the water was found on the rocks
            >
            > If properly set up stands are good.
            > Done wrong , I would rather be on my mooring
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Nov 1, 2012, at 5:36 PM, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Sad, indeed.
            > >
            > > One curious observation. The general consensus, one heavily endorsed by BoatUS with their 50% cost share, is that boats are better on the hard than in the water. But, on moorings off the RYC, there are several small boats that look very well off. The one right in front of the club looks low in the water (or maybe just a low freeboard boat), but she is floating regardless. Every general rule has exceptions, and in this case it looks like a mooring was the place to be.
            > >
            > > Then, of course, there's the exception to that! We in Maryland had rather light winds and minimal surge. In the very protected creek I am on, there is one moored boat, a mid-30's yawl (looks like a Carl Alberg design). She survived the storm OK -- but her owner may be a bit confused -- she's about 200 yards down wind from where she used to be!
            > >
            > > Harry
            > >
            > > --- In Sabresailboat@..., "adamturinas" <adam@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > We had it especially bad on Monday. Storm was at its highest at high lunar tide, blowing right down Raritan Bay.
            > > >
            > > > My club, Raritan Yacht Club was devastated. 30+ boats in the yard, smashed to pieces including Sinn Fein, multiple times winner of Newport-Bermuda. Buildings and stairs in the yard wiped out. But most importantly nobody hurt.
            > > >
            > > > My Sabre 38 MkII Cadence was on the hard in marina, up a creek, half a mile up from the Bay. The docks were were destroyed, dozens of yachts on the hard washed off their stands. Boats from neighbouring yards washed into ours.
            > > >
            > > > I was extremely lucky. Cadence was pinned in place by two other boats. A motor boat had washed up out of the creek held her starboard. To port, the next boat toppled over and pinned her from the other side. Cadence had two stands left by the morning but stayed in place. Some cosmetic damage and bashed up stanchions but I believe otherwsie intact.
            > > >
            > > > You can see phtos of my yacht, the yard and RYC on my blog:
            > > >
            > > > http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.com/sailing/
            > > >
            > > > I hope others escaped both personal and boat harm
            > > >
            > > > Adam
            > > > Cadence, S38 MkII 109

          • adamturinas
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2012

              You are correct. All the boats were correctly on jackstands and have withstood previous storms without issue.

              There are three marinas in a row along the Cheesequake creek off Raritan Bay. The storm surges lifted boats off their jackstands and turned them in to floating bowling balls. Boats from Lockwoods, the first marina were spread for a 1/4 mile. Many washed through Browns and took outmany boats on stands there. Several were washed down to Morgan where my yacht is.

              I was lucky in that my yacht was pinned in lace by two other yachts

              Adam

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@...> wrote:

              > According to the description, it wasn't an issue with insufficient or poorly set jack stands -- the boats did what boats do, and floated! Down in Florida, some yards include screwed in ti-downs (like airports) with heavy strapping over the boat, but I'm not sure they could take more than a few inches over the water line -- a boat gets a LOT of lift when the water rises over the water line!
              >
              > I'll agree, good stand setup can help a lot to fight wind in the rigging, or waves pounding on the keel, but once the water rises to (or close to) the water line, all bets are off.
              >
              > Harry
              >
              > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Kalinowski <sabre32sailor@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We had all 200 of our boats on the hard with a minimum of 7 jackstands
              > > No issue
              > >
              > > The one boat in the water was found on the rocks
              > >
              > > If properly set up stands are good.
              > > Done wrong , I would rather be on my mooring
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Nov 1, 2012, at 5:36 PM, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Sad, indeed.
              > > >
              > > > One curious observation. The general consensus, one heavily endorsed by BoatUS with their 50% cost share, is that boats are better on the hard than in the water. But, on moorings off the RYC, there are several small boats that look very well off. The one right in front of the club looks low in the water (or maybe just a low freeboard boat), but she is floating regardless. Every general rule has exceptions, and in this case it looks like a mooring was the place to be.
              > > >
              > > > Then, of course, there's the exception to that! We in Maryland had rather light winds and minimal surge. In the very protected creek I am on, there is one moored boat, a mid-30's yawl (looks like a Carl Alberg design). She survived the storm OK -- but her owner may be a bit confused -- she's about 200 yards down wind from where she used to be!
              > > >
              > > > Harry

            • Blake Kelley
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012

                I also am an RYC member and my Sabre 36 is also at Morgan Marina on land but was lifted by water surge and moved across a roadway before crashing into a parked car but appears to have sustained little damage.  The problem is that no one knows what mat have happened to the vessel before it came to rest, albeit precariously leaning against the car.  Need to check/survey to determine extent of damage.  We have all been reading this Sabre blog long enough to know that gouged toe rails could result in leaks that are difficult to fix.  My engine exhaust pipe was cracked off and I wonder what damage may have been caused to the engine.  Keel damage?  Stem damage? Damage to rigging.  Many questions possible.  But, as far as I know, people were not hurt at either RYC or Morgan.  It is a tragedy.

                Blake Kelley

                S/V “Twin Lights”

                1986 Sabre 36

                Perth Amboy, NJ

> [...]

                  > > Newport-Bermuda. Buildings and stairs in the yard wiped out. But most
                  > > importantly nobody hurt.
                  > >
                  > > My Sabre 38 MkII Cadence was on the hard in marina, up a creek, half a
                  > > mile up from the Bay. The docks were were destroyed, dozens of yachts
                  > > on the hard washed off their stands. Boats from neighbouring yards
                  > > washed into ours.
                  > >
                  > > I was extremely lucky. Cadence was pinned in place by two other boats.
                  > > A motor boat had washed up out of the creek held her starboard. To
                  > > port, the next boat toppled over and pinned her from the other side.
                  > > Cadence had two stands left by the morning but stayed in place. Some
                  > > cosmetic damage and bashed up stanchions but I believe otherwsie intact.
                  > >
                  > > You can see phtos of my yacht, the yard and RYC on my blog:
                  > >
                  > > http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.com/sailing/
                  > >
                  > > I hope others escaped both personal and boat harm

                • Blake Kelley
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012

                    Yes, but it’s a good question.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012

                      With all the hurricane damaged boats coming on the market next spring, is it time to form a support group for those of us who sometimes indulge if the fantasy of a Sabre restoration so that we can maintain our sanity and relationships with significant others?

                      Dave

                      On Nov 8, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Blake Kelley wrote:

                      Yes, but it’s a good question.

                      I heard a little about RYC. (I am in New Brunswick, NJ without power.) I am really sorry to hear this. Serenity Now, my Sabre 36, is on the hard at Atlantic Highlands Marina. I have no idea what condition the boat is in. I have heard that the marina is in terrible shape and
                      some boats are seriously damaged, but no one is allowed in. (In fact a phone message
                      from the marina said that boat owners would be arrested if they came in to check
                      on they before the marina is officially reopened!) No one could imagine that the
                      surge would reach up to the yard -- I think we are talking at least 20 ft not 10! It
                      might have been better to stay on the mooring. (A friend did, and came through
                      fine.) In any case, if anyone on this list has any info about Atlantic Highlands, please send me a note: mcglewj@.... Thanks, Jim

                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

                      > Adam,
                      > Sorry to see this. We bought a boat from a member of the RYC last
                      > century and I thought of the club and all the boats in the yard during
                      > the storm. Cadence did quite well!
                      > dge
                      >
                      > On 10/31/2012 10:11 AM, adamturinas wrote:
                      > >
                      > > We had it especially bad on Monday. Storm was at its highest at high
                      > > lunar tide, blowing right down Raritan Bay.
                      > >
                      > > My club, Raritan Yacht Club was devastated. 30+ boats in the yard,
                      > > smashed to pieces including Sinn Fein, multiple times winner of
                      > > Newport-Bermuda. Buildings and stairs in the yard wiped out. But most
                      > > importantly nobody hurt.
                      > >
                      > > My Sabre 38 MkII Cadence was on the hard in marina, up a creek, half a
                      > > mile up from the Bay. The docks were were destroyed, dozens of yachts
                      > > on the hard washed off their stands. Boats from neighbouring yards
                      > > washed into ours.
                      > >
                      > > I was extremely lucky. Cadence was pinned in place by two other boats.
                      > > A motor boat had washed up out of the creek held her starboard. To
                      > > port, the next boat toppled over and pinned her from the other side.
                      > > Cadence had two stands left by the morning but stayed in place. Some
                      > > cosmetic damage and bashed up stanchions but I believe otherwsie intact.
                      > >
                      > > You can see phtos of my yacht, the yard and RYC on my blog:
                      > >
                      > > http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.com/sailing/
                      > >
                      > > I hope others escaped both personal and boat harm
                      > >
                      > > Adam
                      > > Cadence, S38 MkII 109

                    • Dan Trainor

                        --
                        Dan

                      • Mike1
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 8, 2012
                          Hey Guys,

                          I saw my Sabre 28 from a distance still floating tied to a broken dock I can't acess in Morgan Marina.There is a large hole through topside and one on the bow portside. The grab rails are smashed as are a lot of sections of the toe rails. The pulpit is mangled, my furler is broken away from the forestay and the bowsprit is gone. The dodger frame is also gone. Windows are broken, all stanchions are tore off and all sections of the stern rails are mangled. The boat is sitting on a slight tilt. I wonder what happened to the keel, shaft/prop and hull? Time to retire sailing or get another??

                          Mike

                          --
                          Dan

                        • sabre32sailor@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012
                            Sorry to hear of your loss Mike

                            Think of it as nature's way of telling you to move up to a larger Sabre.

                            Good luck

                            -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

                            --
                            Dan

                          • Mike1
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 9, 2012

                              I sent out some requests for advertisements to yachtworld.com to see if the listing is still available and they weren't. The storm did them in. There may be a shortage of used boats available resulting from Sandy. The good news for those of you whose boat survived is that they are more valuable now.

                              --
                              Dan