Achilles for 4 paired with what motor? >> Re: High Pressure Floor Inflatables

  • bcoh_usa
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 4, 2012
      Thanks folks for weighing in with your input, experience, and advice---for a first time inflatable purchase, it really helps me clarify some of my thinking/assumptions around size of boat and motor, especially looking at some of the finer points of negligability (spelling?) of weight trade offs vs size and power for both boat and motor.

      I think I've got my plan now! Thanks again.

      Best...Brennan

      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 30, 2012
        Jan,

        Thanks for your comments. As will things boating, everything is compromise. The Achilles I bought seemed to be the best compromise, would have liked a bigger boat and larger outboard, but cost and weight were a concern. At $2K for a new (2011) RIB, it was hard to pass up.

        WM and Achilles make a folding transom RIB. I liked the concept, especially for storing the boat, however, the cost factor ruled the Achilles out and the WM is a PVC boat.

        Dave

        On Sep 29, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Jan wrote:

        Dave,

        Sorry I'm late to the discussion but I have not had time to keep up with this board lately. I'm sure you have done a good job with your research of inflatables, but seeing the problems with the Mercury boats experienced by other cruisers on the West coast of Mexico, I would never buy one. The seams do not hold up in the semi-tropical sun and the whole boat deteriorates, such that, one cannot just repair one seam. You are correct about the hypalon. I would not buy anything else. Again, it is the sun damage that causes me to say that. We're cruising with an Avon RIB with folding transome which is a great boat (8'-6") but unfortunately is no longer made. It maxes out with an 8 hp motor which we use. I realise you have made your purchase, but for others I can only say, when cruising, your dinghy becomes your car. Don't get too cheap when picking one out.

        Jan S-38 MkI "Capriccio"- Mazatlan, Mex.