Re: Slab Reefing Maine

  • walkabout193
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
      Reminder: When you tie on the reefing line, it should be doubled back under the boom and a bowline loop made around the reefing line descending from the reef cringle.....

      Len Bertaux
      Walkabout S38 MKII

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Kelley" <rbkelley@...> wrote:

      > Yes it does and I pass the luff reef line through the cringle and then tie
      > off on the boom with a loose knot to allow the loop to slide on the boom if
      > needed.

    • Blake Kelley
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012

        Thank you

        Reminder: When you tie on the reefing line, it should be doubled back under the boom and a bowline loop made around the reefing line descending from the reef cringle.....

        Len Bertaux
        Walkabout S38 MKII

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Kelley" <rbkelley@...> wrote:

        > Yes it does and I pass the luff reef line through the cringle and then tie
        > off on the boom with a loose knot to allow the loop to slide on the boom if
        > needed.

      • David Laino
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
          Hmmm, my main has slits in it immediately above the boom and directly vertically below each reefing cringle.  I assume these are for passing the line through to tie the bowline around the boom.  It seems a bowline around the reef line itself could bind when pulled (but perhaps I am misunderstanding your instruction).  Which is the right practice (as if there is ever only one right way)?

          David

          Reminder: When you tie on the reefing line, it should be doubled back under the boom and a bowline loop made around the reefing line descending from the reef cringle.....

          Len Bertaux
          Walkabout S38 MKII

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Kelley" <rbkelley@...> wrote:

          > Yes it does and I pass the luff reef line through the cringle and then tie
          > off on the boom with a loose knot to allow the loop to slide on the boom if
          > needed.

        • walkabout193
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
            David

            According to Hall Spars the bowline should loop around the reef line, not the boom.....So with a mainsail with a restrained foot with the slits you describe, the reef line will come down from the cringe, would pass under the boom, come back up, go through the slit and a bowline tied around the descending reef line.....

            Len Bertaux
            Walkabout S38MKII

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Laino <djlaino@...> wrote:

            > Hmmm, my main has slits in it immediately above the boom and directly vertically below each reefing cringle.  I assume these are for passing the line through to tie the bowline around the boom.  It seems a bowline around the reef line itself could bind when pulled (but perhaps I am misunderstanding your instruction).  Which is the right practice (as if there is ever only one right way)?
            >
            > David
            >

            > ________________________________

          • David Laino
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
              Thanks Len.  That seems to make sense since the bowline will now be tied around a part of the reef line that is not moving relative to the boom or said bowline.  I would still worry about the reef line being pulled through the bowline if there is no slit in the sail (in which case one couldn't tie around the boom either), but that could work if the setup allows with fair leads.

            • rabrown10
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                A small correction. Actually according to the Hall 402 manual pg. 15 the line should first go through the slot and then around the boom.

                Roger

              • Bennett Kaufman
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                  I gotta ask:

                  Is "Slab Reefing, Maine" a THING or a PLACE? If the former, I don't know what slab reefing has to do particularly with Maine, and if the latter, I can't find it on the map.

                  ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)
                • Carter Brey
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                  • 1 Attachment
                  • 68 KB
                  Or you can simply drill and tap for a sturdy padeye on the boom and
                  terminate the reef line there with a nice, compact buntline hitch.

                  In the attached photo you see a single-line system for two reefs. On the
                  opposite side of the boom from the padeye (the first reef) is a cheek
                  block which leads the line forward; on the opposite side of the boom
                  from the visible cheek block (the second reef) is the second reef
                  terminal padeye.

                  Carter Brey
                  S28-II Delphine
                  City Island, NY

                  On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 21:33 +0000, walkabout193 wrote:

                  > David
                  >
                  > According to Hall Spars the bowline should loop around the reef line,
                  > not the boom.....So with a mainsail with a restrained foot with the
                  > slits you describe, the reef line will come down from the cringe,
                  > would pass under the boom, come back up, go through the slit and a
                  > bowline tied around the descending reef line.....
                  >
                  > Len Bertaux
                  > Walkabout S38MKII
                • Martin
                  Message 9 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                    Ben,
                    Slab Reefing is a very small fishing village way down east in Maine that is inhabited soley by inhabitants who can't type.

                    Cheers,
                    Martin

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bennett Kaufman <kaufmanb@...> wrote:

                    > I gotta ask:
                    >
                    > Is "Slab Reefing, Maine" a THING or a PLACE? If the former, I don't know what slab reefing has to do particularly with Maine, and if the latter, I can't find it on the map.
                    >
                    > ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

                  • Scott
                    Message 10 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                      I've been there! Pretty village, but reading the menu at the local diner was difficult.

                      Scott

                      Sent from my iPad

                      =