34 Mk II Hull thickness for transducer

  • penbaydw
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      Time to replace my Datamarine depth sounder. Raytheon has an ST-40 at a reasonable price but says the transducer is limited to a hull thickness of 1 inch. Does anyone have any idea what the thickness is on a 34 Mk II where the transducer normally penetrates (under the head floorboard)?

      Dave
      'Pathfinder' - 34 Mk II, #328
    • MATT
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
        Dave,

        On my 34 Targa, the hull was 3/4" where I mounted the transducer.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "penbaydw" <penbaydw@...> wrote:

        > Time to replace my Datamarine depth sounder. Raytheon has an ST-40 at a reasonable price but says the transducer is limited to a hull thickness of 1 inch. Does anyone have any idea what the thickness is on a 34 Mk II where the transducer normally penetrates (under the head floorboard)?
        >
        > Dave
        > 'Pathfinder' - 34 Mk II, #328

      • Godwin Jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
          On my 34-II, I simply "glue" the Datamarine depth transducer to the floor on the centerline just aft of the holding tank with clear silicone.  Holds for several years.  I just had to reset this spring.  Initially it did not work well after reset.  I moved it exactly to the centerline and it works great.  Just smear silicone on the transducer and on the inside hull.  Put it in and wiggle it down firmly.  No problem.

          Godwin
          Bojangles

          Sent from my iPad

          =
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
            My boat is a '79 MK I, so your mileage will most certainly differ. But, I currently have a gaping hole in my hull where my new transducer will be going, so I'll share what I know.

            I'm installing it exactly on the centerline, a few inches forward of the forepeak bulkhead. This area has no factory access, but that's a collateral benefit of a cabin sole replacement...

            To put it on the centerline, I had to fill in the "groove" of the hull on the interior, and fit a mounting pad on the outside. Counting those two areas of additional glass, the total hole through the hull is 1 15/16" thick. My new Airmar DST800 will have about 1.5 spare threads when installed -- talk about close!

            The hull itself, not counting my work, was probably 1.5" thick.

            Harry

          • sabre32sailor@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
              I installed the raymarine tridata (speed,depth,temp) 2months ago.
              Easy install.
              Unscrew data marine cap, run a razor knife around outside, and hammer from inside out.
              If stubborn use a hacksaw to section mount.

              When done, light sand, then put a bead of underwater bedding compound on new mount.
              Push in and screw in cap.
              Touch up bottom paint.
               Done.
              Use bedding compound and not silicone.
              I have had a failure using silicone sealant so heed my warning.

              The unit is an exact match in size so it drops in.
              You do need to swap the housing
              It also has a shield so only a trickle of water enters when you pull the unit instead of the busier of water.
              Also has ability to caliber at 5 speed levels so the is no gap at low or high end.
              Depth sounder matches readings on data marine exactly.

              -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

              On Jul 1, 2012 6:56 PM, penbaydw <penbaydw@...> wrote:

              Time to replace my Datamarine depth sounder. Raytheon has an ST-40 at a reasonable price but says the transducer is limited to a hull thickness of 1 inch. Does anyone have any idea what the thickness is on a 34 Mk II where the transducer normally penetrates (under the head floorboard)?

              Dave
              'Pathfinder' - 34 Mk II, #328

              TODAY(Beta)
            • penbaydw
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
                Thanks Matt. I know the Targa is a different layout, but the hull is suppose to be the same. What area of the hull is your transducer located?

                Dave