Re: [SabreSailboat] MFD/chartplotter advice

  • Bennett Kaufman
    Message 1 of 54 , Jun 1, 2012
      Thanx Allison, that's the kind of user information that I was looking for. I think that the touchscreen plotters also allow the use of buttons/joystick for controls...but I'd have to double-check that capability.

      ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

      Message 54 of 54 , Jun 4, 2012
        OFF TOPIC- but an interesting aside for touch screens

        Eveytime I hear about touch screens the following comes to mind.

        The City of San Diego built a new sludge plant a few years back for handling sewage solids. At the end of the line the processed material was pumped into very large bins under which semi-trucks would be placed for loading from gates operated by, you guessed it, TOUCH SCREENS. When leaks developed in the system, sludge would sometimes be released way up high which would drip down on the screens. One day when this happened, one of the maintainence guys assigned to cleaning up the building (that should tell you something about how high up the management ladder he had climbed) noticed the slop on the screens and promply wiped it off. This immediately caused several truck loads of what used to be "crap" to fill up the empty truck bay below. Now the rest of the staff was called and they spent the day using an end-loader to clean up the mess!

        Oh, and I believe a Change Order was given to the contractor to build a roof over the control screens. It seems the engineers were not too bright either when it came to anticipating what is possible with a city maintainence worker!

        Jan (former construction manager- retired) S38 MkI