Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: MFD/chartplotter advice

  • Godwin Jones
    Message 1 of 54 , Jun 1, 2012
      So now on Saturday morning, you can recline in your Lazy Boy and send your boat out sailing controlling everything from there.  Pretty soon now the guys out on the mooring will arrive at the marina, pull out the pc and have the boat release it's mooring line and come to the dock to pick them up.  Or maybe they just relax and send the boat out for a few hours.

      Godwin
      Bojangles

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 1, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Jim Starkey <jstarkey@...> wrote:

      Here's what I have on my boat:

      • ST60 speed, depth, wind all connected into Seatalk network
      • Autopilot connected to Seatalk with NMEA-183 fast header reference to chart plotter
      • A wireless remote tied into Seatalk (an a backup wired remote)
      • E120W chart plotter connected to all of the above plus Ethernet to radar and a wireless access point
      • A Seatalk/NMEA-183 gateway to connect PC to Seatalk data
      • A Camino AIS transceiver to be connected E120W w/ 38.4k NMEA 183 and PC over RS-232
      • A PC connected to Seatalk gateway, E120W, AIS, and a Garmin portable on the binnacle
      • An iPad that autosyncs Navionics to the E120W

      OK, everything talks to everything.  I can take the remote to the bow when I drop the anchor to watch the depth without yelling back to my wife.  And I can take the remote to the bow in a dense Maine fog and dodge pot buoys.  The windspeed can show true or apparent, the chart plotter can overlay radar and chart, and the chart plotter tells when a nut with AIS is going to run into me and the name of the boat.  I can sprawl on a bunk in the morning laying out a route on the iPad, sync it E120W, download to the PC, and download again to the Garmin at the helm.  Then everything runs autonomously.

      No, we don't have a wireless Rockna or a networked anchor windlass.

      We once sailed from the Monhegan steamer mooring to Boothbay Harbor Yacht club float without seeing land with a compass and flasher depth sounder.  I can do that.  The problem is that with all this neat stuff, the profoundly clueless are now out in the fog when they used to cower safely in harbors.  And, yeah, I'm a geek.  What can I say?

      On 6/1/2012 4:10 PM, sailor11767 wrote:

      Jim,

      Slight hijack of the thread here, but it's close. I am preparing to upgrade my Kenyon instruments (is upgrade the right word when my depth doesn't work, my speed barely works, and it's all 30 years old??). Anyway, I'm wanting to go to new depth, speed, and wind, and I'd like to use it to control my old autopilot as well.

      My take on "interoperability" is perhaps different from yours.

      Everyone uses the same Airmar DST800 transducer for depth, speed, and temp, and it speaks N2K.

      Most use N2K for wind (although Ray seems to need a translator to get to N2K -- but however it is made, it hits the backbone as N2K).

      Since all use N2K for wind, you can skip their wind instruments and buy Airmar's PB200 for N2K and 0183 (both) wind, gps, barometer, compass, pitch, and roll (and maybe stock market ticker, but I'm not sure about that).

      I believe all AIS receivers output on NMEA.

      None "speak" to PC's, although Actisense makes a variety of translators in the $100-200 range to feed the entire backbone to a PC.

      None output 0183 for my old autopilot, but again Actisense will do that.

      The data sharing with a chart plotter is almost trivial -- 0183 or N2K are both suitable.

      What am I missing? Or, what questions should I be asking? What interoperability questions should I be concerned about? Short of getting radar (not very likely!), I'm not sure what other instruments would be on the horizon. Since most systems (even Garmin) have begun to use N2K as their primary backbone, how can they be incompatible?

      Harry

      --
      Jim Starkey
      Founder and CTO

      =
    • Jan
      Message 54 of 54 , Jun 4, 2012
        OFF TOPIC- but an interesting aside for touch screens

        Eveytime I hear about touch screens the following comes to mind.

        The City of San Diego built a new sludge plant a few years back for handling sewage solids. At the end of the line the processed material was pumped into very large bins under which semi-trucks would be placed for loading from gates operated by, you guessed it, TOUCH SCREENS. When leaks developed in the system, sludge would sometimes be released way up high which would drip down on the screens. One day when this happened, one of the maintainence guys assigned to cleaning up the building (that should tell you something about how high up the management ladder he had climbed) noticed the slop on the screens and promply wiped it off. This immediately caused several truck loads of what used to be "crap" to fill up the empty truck bay below. Now the rest of the staff was called and they spent the day using an end-loader to clean up the mess!

        Oh, and I believe a Change Order was given to the contractor to build a roof over the control screens. It seems the engineers were not too bright either when it came to anticipating what is possible with a city maintainence worker!

        Jan (former construction manager- retired) S38 MkI