Raymarine ST 80 instruments

  • tributesails
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 5:18 AM
      I looked at a boat yesterday that had 1998 ST 80 instruments. I know that these instruments have been discontinued and that parts are hard to come by and am trying to assess the risk (and potential replacement cost)of them as well as how much consideration should be given by the seller relative to the sale price of the boat.

      Does anyone here have experience with these instruments or replaced them with the newer versions and what were the issues?

      Thanks,

      Barry
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 1:48 PM
        I have the same issue and have been slowly changing to ST60 from the old ST80 and the maxiview. The new seem to link in with no problem as I have put in the wind and speed/depth as well as the Graphic. My biggest issue was that the maxiview screen was much larger and easier to read than any replacement you have to have a Masterview to change the Maxiview presentation. I found that the Graphic to be the most versatile instrument so if you can get one of those in the deal its good. If you do trade up I'm still looking for Maxiview and masterview screens. Regards, Mike S 402 #37

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "tributesails" <bdwyer@...> wrote:

        > I looked at a boat yesterday that had 1998 ST 80 instruments. I know that these instruments have been discontinued and that parts are hard to come by and am trying to assess the risk (and potential replacement cost)of them as well as how much consideration should be given by the seller relative to the sale price of the boat.
        >
        > Does anyone here have experience with these instruments or replaced them with the newer versions and what were the issues?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Barry

      • Barry Dwyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012

          Mike,

          Are these direct swaps of the displays or do you need to update wiring and transducers as well?

          Thanks,

          Barry

          I have the same issue and have been slowly changing to ST60 from the old ST80 and the maxiview. The new seem to link in with no problem as I have put in the wind and speed/depth as well as the Graphic. My biggest issue was that the maxiview screen was much larger and easier to read than any replacement you have to have a Masterview to change the Maxiview presentation. I found that the Graphic to be the most versatile instrument so if you can get one of those in the deal its good. If you do trade up I'm still looking for Maxiview and masterview screens. Regards, Mike S 402 #37

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "tributesails" <bdwyer@...> wrote:

          > I looked at a boat yesterday that had 1998 ST 80 instruments. I know that these instruments have been discontinued and that parts are hard to come by and am trying to assess the risk (and potential replacement cost)of them as well as how much consideration should be given by the seller relative to the sale price of the boat.
          >
          > Does anyone here have experience with these instruments or replaced them with the newer versions and what were the issues?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Barry

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
            It was a direct swap. The Raymarine cables seem to carry all the data I have not changed the speedo or depth transducers nor did I change the masthead instrument. They seem to link in well and with my chartplotter/radar unit. Mike