Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Anyone use zinc spray paint on their prop?

  • Richard Coerse
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2 3:10 PM
      I have been using the treatment in the Interlux Painting guide for about 8 years now in mid Chesapeake Bay.  My boat is usually in the water for 7 to 7 and 1/2 months and when hauled usually has a barnacle fre prob but a few (8-12 or so) on the shaft.  This photo was taken after 7 and 1/2 months in the water.
      Only drawback is expense and timing the application of all the layers of primers and paints.

      Dick Coerse
      "Early Light"
      1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
      Solomons, MD

      Godwin Jones wrote:

      Yes it's all about perspective.  To perform for me, it needs to protect against barnacles for 24 months in the water because I pull and paint only every other year.  Remainder of time is in the water.  The Interlux process came close.  I do not have much hope for Barnacle Buster.  "Buster" in the name probably means friend!

      Godwin
      Bojangles

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 1, 2012, at 8:31 PM, Alan <altherrien@...> wrote:

      Gowdin,

      I'm wondering the same thing.  From my perspective here in the NE, 6 mos would be a full sailing season,  If the zinc paint wore off in that time frame, I'd be happy.

      Alan

      On 05/01/12, Godwin Jones<sailbojangles@...> wrote:

         In previous years, I have twice used Interlux system - primer, 3 coats 2000E and bottom paint.  This year based on boatyard recommendation, I decided to go with Pettit Barnacle Buster.  Sure is much l! ess expensive and easier to do.  Posts here seem to be mixed and based on expectations.

        In reading on Pettit website, I see it dries to 93 per cent zinc.  Since my shaft zincs only last six months, i wonder if i will lose most of the zinc from the prop by galvanic corrosion in six months?

      Godwin
      Bojangles Sabre 34 II

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 30, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Ira Baline <darwindad2@...> wrote:

      The guy next to me in the yard let me use the last of his can of the Pettit product last year and it did a good job here in Salem. Not perfect but a 80-90% improvement. The year before I did nothing and it was a horror show - a merry-go-round for barnacles! This year I'm trying sp! ray on Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound. Contains "93% Zinc". Looks like and goes on like the more expensive spread but only costs $5 and change. We'll see how effective it is.

      Ira

      Morning Star S-28 #104
      =

    • Carter Brey

        Message 3 of 17 , May 2 5:20 PM
          Carter,

          I have not, but several friends have used it on Martec folding props as well as various feathering props.  The only problem on the folding props that I saw was that with all the coats of primer and paint the area on the blades right at the pivot pin can be too much for easy opening and closing..  They make sure they don't get so much build-up in that area so that the blades still open easily.

          Dick Coerse
          "Early Light"
          1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160

          Solomons, MD