Spartite job worth $500?

  • John Coffey
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
      I'm getting my mast tuned next week for $150 and they mentioned how great Spartite was for keeping water out. But this still wont keep water from running down the interior of the mast so I told him I'd pass for now. Plus my drip hole thru the mast step is nice and clean.
      Is it worth $500? He kit is $104 on Defender.

      And thanks for that Ivar Dedekam Sail and Rig Tuning suggestion!
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
        hmmmm...... $500, that would be 10-12 bottles of very expensive rum, or 2 high end mustang inflatable vests, or 25 yards of Sunbrella to make a mast boot and a lot of other projects, or, well you get the point.

        Dave

        On Apr 30, 2012, at 10:35 AM, John Coffey wrote:

        I'm getting my mast tuned next week for $150 and they mentioned how great Spartite was for keeping water out. But this still wont keep water from running down the interior of the mast so I told him I'd pass for now. Plus my drip hole thru the mast step is nice and clean.
        Is it worth $500? He kit is $104 on Defender.

        And thanks for that Ivar Dedekam Sail and Rig Tuning suggestion!

      • Allison Lehman
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
          Doing the partite job is a huge hassle and a little bit of artwork to do it right.  I think I would pay that much if they would guarantee that the rig will come out of the boat later.

          Allison

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
            Around here, that's an easy guarantee to make. Masts get pulled every decade or so, and by then nobody remembers nothin'.

            I was lucky. My boat came with Spar Tite, of unknown vintage and installer, and it popped right out. Phew!

            Harry
            Rantum Scoot
            '79 S34-I #063
            Mill Creek, Annapolis

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Allison Lehman <allison@...> wrote:

            > Doing the partite job is a huge hassle and a little bit of artwork to do it right. I think I would pay that much if they would guarantee that the rig will come out of the boat later.
            >
            > Allison
            >

            > On Apr 30, 2012, at 7:35 AM, John Coffey wrote:
            >

            > > I'm getting my mast tuned next week for $150 and they mentioned how great Spartite was for keeping water out. But this still wont keep water from running down the interior of the mast so I told him I'd pass for now. Plus my drip hole thru the mast step is nice and clean.
            > > Is it worth $500? He kit is $104 on Defender.
            > >
            > > And thanks for that Ivar Dedekam Sail and Rig Tuning suggestion!

          • Chas
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
              It's a 3 hr. DIY project. But you MUST follw the instructions. Charlie S34 MkI #62 Pajama Girl

              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2012
                Or maybe  a new iPad with GPS. I don't plan on taking mast out again for several years so not gonna do. Thanks for the suggestions.

                John Coffey