Re: [SabreSailboat] Buying S-28... Questions - cabin top

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Sid, I have a sabre 28 1981 vintage in FLA. cabin top
      curve not really an issue. but a good pair of top
      siders help in taking down the main.
      In projects I did split my back stay to free up the
      area around the wheel and cut the stern rail, top
      horizontal middle behind the wheel for better access
      to the ladder. We do a lot of swimming cause its HOT
      here. Any way I can help just ask Jack/Fla

      --- sid wax <sid_w@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks. New member here, in Newport, RI/ Looks
      > like a great site.
      >
      > Anyway, I am in the process of buying an S-28 II
      > (1977). It is pretty
      > much basic, except for a Harken traveler, wheel,
      > knot and depth. I
      > expect I will adding various mods over the next few
      > years. I will be
      > doing mostly daysailing, and going around the buoys
      > on Wednesday
      > afternoons.
      >
      > I will have questions, especially, I am sure, about
      > making it go fast,
      > but my current greates concern is the high curve of
      > the cabintop.
      > Looks pretty easy to slide off. Does anyone else
      > share this concern,
      > or am I worrying over nothing? I have been thinking
      > of adding some
      > kind og slats on the cabin top to improve traction,
      > but am concerned
      > about making holes in the top, especially since the
      > slats will tend to
      > dam up water. Has anyone ever tackled this issue?
      >
      > Sid

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • gmuller22
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Sid, we sailed a 28 for 15 years and never had a slipping issue with
        the cabin top. Actually, under heel, the weather side of the cabin
        top provides a flatter surface to work from than if it had been made
        flatter. There's also another aspect to that curved top, the optimum
        heel can be gauged by comparing the surface of the cabin top where
        it meets the vertical section with the horizon. If that small
        portion of the cabin top, which is fairly straight, is parallel with
        the horizon you're pretty much at the optimum heel. Is that neat or
        what?

        Gerard

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sid wax" <sid_w@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks. New member here, in Newport, RI/ Looks like a great
        site.

        > Anyway, I am in the process of buying an S-28 II (1977). It is
        pretty
        > much basic, except for a Harken traveler, wheel, knot and depth.
        > expect I will adding various mods over the next few years. I will
        be
        > doing mostly daysailing, and going around the buoys on Wednesday
        > afternoons.
        >
        > I will have questions, especially, I am sure, about making it go
        fast,
        > but my current greates concern is the high curve of the cabintop.
        > Looks pretty easy to slide off. Does anyone else share this
        concern,
        > or am I worrying over nothing? I have been thinking of adding
        some
        > kind og slats on the cabin top to improve traction, but am
        concerned
        > about making holes in the top, especially since the slats will
        tend to
        > dam up water. Has anyone ever tackled this issue?
        >
        > Sid

      • whbayles
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Sid.
          Suggest holding off on drilling cabin top until you sail to windward
          in 15 knots of apparent air speed. You will find that the windward
          deck that was flat/horizontal at the mooring is now in 15 knots of
          air on an anle of almost 20 degrees and that you cabin top to
          windward is much easier to walk on. Bill