sabre 28 speed under power

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31, 2006
      How fast should I be going on average with the RPM's at 2000?

      At 3000?

      What engine speed is optimal in terms of engine wear and fuel consumption?

      Tom
      Message 2 of 26 , May 31, 2006
        The general rule of thumb for diesels is 75-80% of max RPM for cruising.  If max RPM gives you hull speed, figure about 80% of that in flat water, or a little over 5 kt.   All theoretical, general and subject to a go-zillion variables.
        Pete

        On 5/31/06, Tom <tjw@...> wrote:
        How fast should I be going on average with the RPM's at 2000?

        At 3000?

        What engine speed is optimal in terms of engine wear and fuel consumption?

        Tom

        Boating sailing Sailing Sabre
        Boating

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • gmuller22
        Message 3 of 26 , May 31, 2006
          Tom, if you've got the Volvo MD7a the max RPM is 2600 and not 3000. At
          2600, with the standard prop, I recall getting somewhere around 5.5-
          5.8 kts. when the boat was first launched. We used to cruise at
          somewhere between 1800 and 2000 RPM where we would get close to 5 kts.
          in calm water. That engine speed range is pretty much optimal for the
          Volvo.

          Gerard

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tjw@...> wrote:

          > How fast should I be going on average with the RPM's at 2000?
          >
          > At 3000?
          >
          > What engine speed is optimal in terms of engine wear and fuel
          consumption?

          > Tom

        • Mike McKinney
          Message 4 of 26 , May 31, 2006
            Mine tachs out at 2,000 rpm, even though the manual says 2,600 rpm.  I run it at 1,500 rpm all day long and it never goes above 120F. Run it at 1,800 rpm and I'm at 160F in minutes, and it stays there. Not much speed difference, so I run it between 14-16 hundred rpm.

            Mike
            S-28, Hull 365
            Tom, if you've got the Volvo MD7a the max RPM is 2600 and not 3000. At
            2600, with the standard prop, I recall getting somewhere around 5.5-
            5.8 kts. when the boat was first launched. We used to cruise at
            somewhere between 1800 and 2000 RPM where we would get close to 5 kts.
            in calm water. That engine speed range is pretty much optimal for the
            Volvo.

            Gerard

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tjw@...> wrote:

            > How fast should I be going on average with the RPM's at 2000?
            >
            > At 3000?
            >
            > What engine speed is optimal in terms of engine wear and fuel
            consumption?

            > Tom

          • gmuller22
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
              Mike, assuming that the governor is operating OK (does it go above
              2000 RPM when in neutral?), it sounds like your prop has too much
              pitch. Then again, maybe your tachometer is no longer accurate. If
              it's the former you should consider re-propping since a prop should
              be sized so that the engine can max out its RPM (you never know when
              you might need that extra power and speed). Another thing, a water
              temperature of 120F is not necessarily a good thing. The engine
              operates best when at design temperature, which is around 160 -
              180F. You should check your thermostat (assuming you have one in
              there).

              Gerard

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Mike McKinney <195162@...>
              wrote:

              > Mine tachs out at 2,000 rpm, even though the manual says 2,600
              rpm. I run it at 1,500 rpm all day long and it never goes above
              120F. Run it at 1,800 rpm and I'm at 160F in minutes, and it stays
              there. Not much speed difference, so I run it between 14-16 hundred
              rpm.

              > Mike
              > S-28, Hull 365

            • Bob Burns
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006

                Just to confirm Mike’s performance #’s. I get the same from my ’77 MD7A. I can cruise at 5- 5 ½ knots all day at 1500 rpm per my tach.

                Bob

                S28 #305

              • 195162@optonline.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006

                  I never tried opening it up all the way in neutral for fear of damaging something. Is that safe?

                  I've wondered why she does not heat up and suspected something wrong, but never pursued it.

                  Are there any tests that will tell if it is the tachometer?

                  • 195162@optonline.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006

                      We have a photo tachometer in the lab at work. Thanks!

                      > The only way I know to check/calibrate a tach is with a hand held
                      > opticaltach.   Surveyors and diesel mechanics have them, but at
                      > $200+, they are a
                      > little steep for the home toolbox.  You may be able to get a yard
                      > mechanicto swing by and do a quick check for a lot less.
                      > Pete
                      >

                      > On 6/1/06, 195162@... <195162@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >  I never tried opening it up all the way in neutral for fear of
                      > damaging> something. Is that safe?
                      > > I've wondered why she does not heat up and suspected something
                      > wrong, but
                      > > never pursued it.
                      > > Are there any tests that will tell if it is the tachometer?

                      > >   Boating
                      > sailing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>

                      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      > >

                      > >    -  Visit your group
                      > "Sabresailboat<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sabresailboat>">
                      > on the web.
                      > >
                      > >    -  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                      > >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                      > >

                      > >  ------------------------------
                      > >
                      > >  I never tried opening it up all the way in neutral for fear of
                      > damaging> something. Is that safe?
                      > >
                      > > I've wondered why she does not heat up and suspected something
                      > wrong, but
                      > > never pursued it.
                      > >
                      > > Are there any tests that will tell if it is the tachometer?

                    • Bob Burns
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006

                        There’s a governor on the engine that prevents it from revving too high. You can open it up to full throttle after its run for a few minutes without doing any harm but I would not recommend running at full throttle in neutral for more than a few seconds. This will tell you your max rpm’s and help you determine the right running range when under power, usually 70 to 80% of the max rpm. Mine maxes at 20K and I run at 14k to 16K ( K or C ?) anyway, I think you know what I mean. As for warming up, it won’t do that until the engine is under a load, like pushing the boat. As long as it gets into the normal temp range after 5 or 10 minutes under way, you’re ok.

                        There are testing tools you can get for the tach but I’ll leave that for someone more knowledgeable to cover. BTW, if Lucas, the god of darkness designed the electrical  systems on British cars, then whoever the god of horrendous plumbing is designed the Volvo cooling system. So, be patient and start to figure it out because you will have some issues.

                        Bob

                        S28 #305

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                          A digital tack will tell you if it telling the truth.
                           About $60 from harbor freight.
                          You put a piece of white 3m reflective tape on the crank pully and fire up the motor.The tool counts the flashes and gives you a digital readout of what it is counting.

                          Real Alphageek status at the yacht club/marina  if you got one of these to loan out.  Can also recalibrate you turntable if you actually still have one.

                          john

                          Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:47:10 +0000
                          From: gmuller22 <gmuller22@...>
                          To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                              And before anyone asks, Of course I own one  :<)

                              Currently going for $80, but you need to check each week's flyer.
                              I know they were on sale about a month ago.

                              And this is the same unit most companies charge $200-350 for (I guess boats are not the ony place with killer mark-ups). Puttng that label with their name on it is pretty labor intensive...

                              Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:47:10 +0000
                              From: gmuller22 <gmuller22@...>
                              To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                                Peter

                                Most tachs have an adjustment screw in the back,usually behind a tiny rubber plug.  And turn very slowly, as the adjustments happen fast.

                                This is a 2 person job. One to run the motor and call out what the boat tach says. The other runs the digital tach and resets the boat tach.
                                Only takes about 5 minutes on a warmed up motor.

                                Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:
[...]

                                Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

                              • gmuller22
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                                  A quick burst in neutral to see if she'll go above 2000RPM won't hurt
                                  anything. As to why she doesn't heat up, my guesss is that there is no
                                  thermostat installed. As to testing the tachometer, the use of an
                                  optical tach as Pete suggested is the way to go.

                                  Gerard

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                                    Here's the procedure for calibrating a Westerbeke tach.  Should work for any other diesel tach.
                                    You gotta love the warning.
                                    Pete

                                    WARNING:

                                    ALL TACHOMETER CALIBRATION ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE IN NEUTRAL!

                                    Theory:

                                    The Westerbeke tachometer reads the AC frequency from the AC tap on the alternator prior to it going through the voltage regulator.   Because of the different alternators used (8 - 10 - 12 pole) and different diameter pulleys used both on the crankshaft and alternator there is no "one size fits all".   To set or calibrate the tachometer to your engine requires the use of a hand strobe tachometer to reference actual engine crankshaft R.P.M. to the new tachometer.  Use the selector switch on the back of the tach (marked 4 - 6 - 8 - A - B) or (alternative markings 1 - 2 - 3 – 4 – A - B) for gross adjustment until the reading is within a range + 300 - 400 R.P.M., then use the calibrating "pot" for fine adjustment.  The cal "pot" (marked CAL or adj) is some times covered with a black rubber plug that needs to be removed.   The cal "pot" takes a 5/64" allen wrench.

                                     Procedure:

                                    1.     Using a hand tach set engine to your "normal" cursing R.P.M. (Re: Its more accurate to set at higher RPM where you normally operate the boat.) 2500 - 2800.

                                    2.     Turn the selector switch on the back until its close  + 300 - 400.

                                    3.     Then using a 5/64" allen wrench turn it slowly until its right.

                                    4.     Then decrease engine speed to idle and using the new tach return to "normal" cursing speed and check engine with hand tack and fine tune if needed.   If you made any additional adjustments recheck again

                                    On 6/1/06, gmuller22 <gmuller22@...> wrote:
                                    A quick burst in neutral to see if she'll go above 2000RPM won't hurt
                                    anything. As to why she doesn't heat up, my guesss is that there is no
                                    thermostat installed. As to testing the tachometer, the use of an
                                    optical tach as Pete suggested is the way to go.

                                    Gerard

                                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, 195162@... wrote:

                                    > I never tried opening it up all the way in neutral for fear of
                                    damaging something. Is that safe?
                                    > I've wondered why she does not heat up and suspected something
                                    wrong, but never pursued it.
                                    > Are there any tests that will tell if it is the tachometer?

                                    Boating sailing Sailing Sabre
                                    Boating

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  • Don Teagno
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                                      You can buy an inexpensive mechanical tach that you push against the center
                                      of the crankshaft pulley. It works well and is pretty foolproof. I think it
                                      was under 50 bucks. If you're near my neighborhood in Buzzards bay, you're
                                      welcomed to borrow it.
                                      Don Teagno

                                    • David Felsenthal
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                                        I never operate at normal cursing RPM, as it says in step 1.

                                        David

                                        Atlantea, Sabre 38 MKII
                                      • whbayles
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                                          Regarding the MD7A operating temp........have sailed our #506 28-II
                                          for past 15 years. In early years was concerned with low temp, cool
                                          exhaust water (Long Island Sound ambient water temp 70 degrees).
                                          Changed thermostat twice, put in a new temp guage, counseled with my
                                          father who built his own heat exchanger for a Gray Marine gas in
                                          the '50s. In about year 6 I learned engines without heat exchangers
                                          are designed to normally operate at cooler temps because of the
                                          increased corrosiveness of salt water at higher temps. Sorry for
                                          not offering a more scientific response or source, but that's all I
                                          know on the subject.

                                          Related, assuming we all sail rather than power our S28s most of the
                                          time, how long do the MD7As keep operating? Ours is in year 25,
                                          Exhaust riser corroded through, but that's high temp salt water.
                                          What major item often fails on an older MD7A?
                                          Bill

                                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gmuller22"
                                          <gmuller22@...> wrote:

                                          > Mike, assuming that the governor is operating OK (does it go above
                                          > 2000 RPM when in neutral?), it sounds like your prop has too much
                                          > pitch. Then again, maybe your tachometer is no longer accurate. If
                                          > it's the former you should consider re-propping since a prop
                                          should
                                          > be sized so that the engine can max out its RPM (you never know
                                          when
                                          > you might need that extra power and speed). Another thing, a water
                                          > temperature of 120F is not necessarily a good thing. The engine
                                          > operates best when at design temperature, which is around 160 -
                                          > 180F. You should check your thermostat (assuming you have one in
                                          > there).
                                          >
                                          > Gerard
                                          >

                                          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Mike McKinney <195162@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Mine tachs out at 2,000 rpm, even though the manual says 2,600
                                          > rpm. I run it at 1,500 rpm all day long and it never goes above
                                          > 120F. Run it at 1,800 rpm and I'm at 160F in minutes, and it stays
                                          > there. Not much speed difference, so I run it between 14-16
                                          hundred
                                          > rpm.
                                          > >
                                          > > Mike
                                          > > S-28, Hull 365

                                          Terms
                                          > of Service.

                                          > -----------

                                        • gmuller22
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 1, 2006
                                            These Volvos don't seem to fail anything major as long as they are
                                            properly maintained. They seem to rust out before things go boom. As
                                            to salt water cooled engines operating cooler than fresh water
                                            cooled. I recall the thermostat being rated around 170F which is
                                            pretty warm. The metal thickness in the cylinder block is specified
                                            with the anticipated corrosion rate arising from the heated salt
                                            water.

                                            Gerard

                                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "whbayles" <whbayles@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Regarding the MD7A operating temp........have sailed our #506 28-
                                            II
                                            > for past 15 years. In early years was concerned with low temp,
                                            cool
                                            > exhaust water (Long Island Sound ambient water temp 70 degrees).
                                            > Changed thermostat twice, put in a new temp guage, counseled with
                                            my
                                            > father who built his own heat exchanger for a Gray Marine gas in
                                            > the '50s. In about year 6 I learned engines without heat
                                            exchangers
                                            > are designed to normally operate at cooler temps because of the
                                            > increased corrosiveness of salt water at higher temps. Sorry for
                                            > not offering a more scientific response or source, but that's all
                                            > know on the subject.
                                            >
                                            > Related, assuming we all sail rather than power our S28s most of
                                            the
                                            > time, how long do the MD7As keep operating? Ours is in year 25,
                                            > Exhaust riser corroded through, but that's high temp salt water.
                                            > What major item often fails on an older MD7A?
                                            > Bill
                                            >
                                            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gmuller22"
                                            > <gmuller22@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Mike, assuming that the governor is operating OK (does it go
                                            above
                                            > > 2000 RPM when in neutral?), it sounds like your prop has too
                                            much
                                            > > pitch. Then again, maybe your tachometer is no longer accurate.
                                            If
                                            > > it's the former you should consider re-propping since a prop
                                            > should
                                            > > be sized so that the engine can max out its RPM (you never know
                                            > when
                                            > > you might need that extra power and speed). Another thing, a
                                            water
                                            > > temperature of 120F is not necessarily a good thing. The engine
                                            > > operates best when at design temperature, which is around 160 -
                                            > > 180F. You should check your thermostat (assuming you have one in
                                            > > there).
                                            > >
                                            > > Gerard
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Mike McKinney <195162@>
                                            > > wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Mine tachs out at 2,000 rpm, even though the manual says 2,600
                                            > > rpm. I run it at 1,500 rpm all day long and it never goes above
                                            > > 120F. Run it at 1,800 rpm and I'm at 160F in minutes, and it
                                            stays
                                            > > there. Not much speed difference, so I run it between 14-16
                                            > hundred
                                            > > rpm.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Mike
                                            > > > S-28, Hull 365

                                          • workshoe99
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                                              I just recently bought a handheld tach for under $100 at WW Grainger.
                                              Figured it would be good backup for regular tach.

                                              Shoe

                                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

                                              > The only way I know to check/calibrate a tach is with a hand held
                                              optical
                                              > tach. Surveyors and diesel mechanics have them, but at $200+, they
                                              are a
                                              > little steep for the home toolbox. You may be able to get a yard
                                              mechanic
                                              > to swing by and do a quick check for a lot less.
                                              > Pete
                                              >

                                              > On 6/1/06, 195162@... <195162@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > I never tried opening it up all the way in neutral for fear of
                                              damaging
                                              > > something. Is that safe?
                                              > > I've wondered why she does not heat up and suspected something
                                              wrong, but
                                              > > never pursued it.
                                              > > Are there any tests that will tell if it is the tachometer?

                                              > > Boating
                                              sailing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>

                                              > > ------------------------------
                                              > >
                                              > > I never tried opening it up all the way in neutral for fear of
                                              damaging
                                              > > something. Is that safe?
                                              > >
                                              > > I've wondered why she does not heat up and suspected something
                                              wrong, but
                                              > > never pursued it.
                                              > >
                                              > > Are there any tests that will tell if it is the tachometer?

                                            • workshoe99
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                                                Pete:

                                                You wrote "to your "normal" cursing R.P.M.". Did you, by chance, mix
                                                up the thread here with using the "bent wrenches" under the headliner
                                                for the stanchions or perhaps chasing the nuts, washers, or whatever
                                                gets loose and drops down into the unpenetrateable, dark recesses
                                                known as "Now where the he-- did that go" world?

                                                Jan

                                              • Tom
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                                                  now I am concerned... I don't have a Volvo but the physics should be
                                                  the same. On my westerbeke the tach goes to 4000 and at 2000 the boat
                                                  goes maybe 3 kts and close to 3000 we get 5 kts in calm water. The
                                                  engine sounds fine at this engine speed so I am not too concerned that
                                                  I am overtaxing it(should I be?) but anyway you volvo owners seem to
                                                  be getting a lot more speed at much lower RPMs so could I have a
                                                  mis-sized prop? My feathering prop fell off soon after I bought her
                                                  and I didn't have enough experience with it to know how it performed
                                                  with it. The boat yard gave me the current one and I was wondering
                                                  how to tell if the prop was correctly sized.

                                                  Thanks you guys are really helpful

                                                  Tom

                                                  at 2000--- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gmuller22"

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                                                    Tom

                                                    what is the pitch and diameter of your current prop ?
                                                    With that we can tell you if you are in the ball park.

                                                    Another way to tell if you are overloading the motor is to look at the exhaust. when you push it too hard and the hull is providing resistance, you will see a lot more soot in the exhaust.

                                                    Besides, who needs a prop?
                                                    You had more than enough wind in your sails coming past the finish line last night  :>)  :>)

                                                    At least you kept all your canvas up.  A lot of those rac'n boats were down to their main only, but your Sabre was doing fine to weather.

                                                    john

                                                    <gmuller22@...> wrote:

                                                    > Mike, assuming that the governor is operating OK (does it go above
                                                    > 2000 RPM when in neutral?), it sounds like your prop has too much
                                                    > pitch. Then again, maybe your tachometer is no longer accurate. If
                                                    > it's the former you should consider re-propping since a prop should
                                                    > be sized so that the engine can max out its RPM (you never know when
                                                    > you might need that extra power and speed). Another thing, a water
                                                    > temperature of 120F is not necessarily a good thing. The engine
                                                    > operates best when at design temperature, which is around 160 -
                                                    > 180F. You should check your thermostat (assuming you have one in
                                                    > there).
                                                    >
                                                    > Gerard
                                                    >

                                                    > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Mike McKinney <195162@>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Mine tachs out at 2,000 rpm, even though the manual says 2,600
                                                    > rpm.  I run it at 1,500 rpm all day long and it never goes above
                                                    > 120F. Run it at 1,800 rpm and I'm at 160F in minutes, and it stays
                                                    > there. Not much speed difference, so I run it between 14-16 hundred
                                                    > rpm.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Mike
                                                    > > S-28, Hull 365

                                                  • ralphjb
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                                                      I just replaced the two seals on the water pump impeller shaft on my '81
                                                      MD-7A. I was getting water in the engine oil.
                                                      I sail in fresh water. Two years ago, I had my alternator rebuilt.

                                                      Ralph
                                                      S-28 # 513 Windwrider

                                                      > Regarding the MD7A operating temp........have sailed our #506 28-II
                                                      > for past 15 years. In early years was concerned with low temp, cool
                                                      > exhaust water (Long Island Sound ambient water temp 70 degrees).
                                                      > Changed thermostat twice, put in a new temp guage, counseled with my
                                                      > father who built his own heat exchanger for a Gray Marine gas in
                                                      > the '50s. In about year 6 I learned engines without heat exchangers
                                                      > are designed to normally operate at cooler temps because of the
                                                      > increased corrosiveness of salt water at higher temps. Sorry for
                                                      > not offering a more scientific response or source, but that's all I
                                                      > know on the subject.
                                                      >
                                                      > Related, assuming we all sail rather than power our S28s most of the
                                                      > time, how long do the MD7As keep operating? Ours is in year 25,
                                                      > Exhaust riser corroded through, but that's high temp salt water.
                                                      > What major item often fails on an older MD7A?
                                                      > Bill
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gmuller22"
                                                      > <gmuller22@...> wrote:
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Mike, assuming that the governor is operating OK (does it go above
                                                      >> 2000 RPM when in neutral?), it sounds like your prop has too much
                                                      >> pitch. Then again, maybe your tachometer is no longer accurate. If
                                                      >> it's the former you should consider re-propping since a prop
                                                      > should
                                                      >> be sized so that the engine can max out its RPM (you never know
                                                      > when
                                                      >> you might need that extra power and speed). Another thing, a water
                                                      >> temperature of 120F is not necessarily a good thing. The engine
                                                      >> operates best when at design temperature, which is around 160 -
                                                      >> 180F. You should check your thermostat (assuming you have one in
                                                      >> there).
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Gerard
                                                      >>

                                                      >> --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Mike McKinney <195162@>
                                                      >> wrote:
                                                      >> >
                                                      >> > Mine tachs out at 2,000 rpm, even though the manual says 2,600
                                                      >> rpm. I run it at 1,500 rpm all day long and it never goes above
                                                      >> 120F. Run it at 1,800 rpm and I'm at 160F in minutes, and it stays
                                                      >> there. Not much speed difference, so I run it between 14-16
                                                      > hundred
                                                      >> rpm.
                                                      >> >
                                                      >> > Mike
                                                      >> > S-28, Hull 365

                                                    • gmuller22
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                                                        Tom, the physics is the same but the application of the physics is
                                                        different. The Volvo engine (actually Volvo-Penta) is based on an
                                                        older Penta design which which used a different stroke/bore
                                                        relationship than the Westerbeke resulting in the development of its
                                                        max power at 2600 RPM. You didn't say which model Westerbeke you
                                                        have, but mine, a 35b, develops its max HP at 3600 RPM and I cruise
                                                        at around 3000 RPM. If you don't know the max power/RPM of your W
                                                        model, I suggest you check their web site. If you find that the max
                                                        RPM is 3600 then your 3000 RPM cruising is just fine, but if you
                                                        find the max RPM are less than 3600 RPM, reduce your max cruising
                                                        speed to around 80% of the max RPM.

                                                        Gerard

                                                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tjw@...> wrote:

                                                        > now I am concerned... I don't have a Volvo but the physics should
                                                        be
                                                        > the same. On my westerbeke the tach goes to 4000 and at 2000 the
                                                        boat
                                                        > goes maybe 3 kts and close to 3000 we get 5 kts in calm water. The
                                                        > engine sounds fine at this engine speed so I am not too concerned
                                                        that
                                                        > I am overtaxing it(should I be?) but anyway you volvo owners seem
                                                        > be getting a lot more speed at much lower RPMs so could I have a
                                                        > mis-sized prop? My feathering prop fell off soon after I bought
                                                        her
                                                        > and I didn't have enough experience with it to know how it
                                                        performed
                                                        > with it. The boat yard gave me the current one and I was
                                                        wondering
                                                        > how to tell if the prop was correctly sized.
                                                        >

                                                        > Thanks you guys are really helpful
                                                        >
                                                        > Tom
                                                        >

                                                        > at 2000--- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gmuller22"
                                                        > <gmuller22@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Mike, assuming that the governor is operating OK (does it go
                                                        above
                                                        > > 2000 RPM when in neutral?), it sounds like your prop has too
                                                        much
                                                        > > pitch. Then again, maybe your tachometer is no longer accurate.
                                                        If
                                                        > > it's the former you should consider re-propping since a prop
                                                        should
                                                        > > be sized so that the engine can max out its RPM (you never know
                                                        when
                                                        > > you might need that extra power and speed). Another thing, a
                                                        water
                                                        > > temperature of 120F is not necessarily a good thing. The engine
                                                        > > operates best when at design temperature, which is around 160 -
                                                        > > 180F. You should check your thermostat (assuming you have one in
                                                        > > there).
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Gerard
                                                        > >

                                                        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Mike McKinney <195162@>
                                                        > > wrote:
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Mine tachs out at 2,000 rpm, even though the manual says 2,600
                                                        > > rpm. I run it at 1,500 rpm all day long and it never goes above
                                                        > > 120F. Run it at 1,800 rpm and I'm at 160F in minutes, and it
                                                        stays
                                                        > > there. Not much speed difference, so I run it between 14-16
                                                        hundred
                                                        > > rpm.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Mike
                                                        > > > S-28, Hull 365