Re: [SabreSailboat] Diesel rollback

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2 7:09 AM
      If the filters and hose are fine, expect to replace the pump real soon.
      Had the same issue for 60 minutes of motoring before it died completely on a delivery.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2 8:19 AM
        Bill -
        I would vote for fuel supply - most likely the filter(s), then an air leak, then the pump.  When mine did that, it was a neglected filter.  (not my fault! I had a new Racor filter without the spacer and the lift pump filter clogged) The cha-cha usually ends with a dead diesel pretty quickly.
        If you haven't been out for a while, it could have been accelerated by stirring up the crud in the tank bottom.
        Pete

        On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

        Yesterday, on the way in from sailing, the diesel rolled back uncommanded from the selected speed to idle.  It stayed there for about a minute, and then came back up to the selected speed.  After another minute, it rolled back again for another minute.  We continued to do the one minute Cha-Cha the rest of the way in.

        What is causing this?  Is it the fuel filter?  I have had diesels speed up and die due to filter and fuel issues, but this changing up and down from speed to idle at one minute intervals is new to me.

        Any ideas?

        Thanks,

        Bill B

      • Jules Bender

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2 11:27 AM
            My vote is for a bad fuel pump. I experienced the same symptoms on my previous catalina 30 with a universal 25xp. Prior to starting, do you hear a steady clicking sound? If the rhythm is sporadic,that could be a sign of a bad pump. When I had my pump replaced, the mechanic also installed a bulb primer in the line. He said that should the pump fail, I could use the bulb periodically to keep the engine fed. Claimed it was a common practice among lobsterman. Never had to use it.

            Dave B.
            Magic
            S34T #369
            Salem, MA
          • stebenb9567
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2 2:28 PM
              Has the infamous fine filter sleeve in the tank's pick up tube been removed? It'd be one less possibility.

              Steve
              Wind Rush II
              S38-I

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

              > Yesterday, on the way in from sailing, the diesel rolled back uncommanded
              > from the selected speed to idle. It stayed there for about a minute, and
              > then came back up to the selected speed. After another minute, it rolled
              > back again for another minute. We continued to do the one minute Cha-Cha
              > the rest of the way in.
              >
              > What is causing this? Is it the fuel filter? I have had diesels speed up
              > and die due to filter and fuel issues, but this changing up and down from
              > speed to idle at one minute intervals is new to me.
              >
              > Any ideas?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Bill B

            • Bill Blalock
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2 4:06 PM

                Hmmm, thank you for the list of excellent possibilities. I think I will start at the tank pickup and work through everything all the way to the fuel pump. The standard is flexible instead of solid fuel lines so I will take care of that too, and it's time for new filters anyway.  I have a primer bulb already, and it works like a charm for bleeding the system, fwiw. Might as well change the oil while I'm in there.

                If it all that fails and it is the fuel pump, which for some reason rings true, what's the prognosis? Do you buy new or rebuild? Is a rebuild an owner endeavor? What's a fuel pump cost?

                Thanks,

                Bill B

                On Apr 2, 2012 5:28 PM, "stebenb9567" <stebenb9567@...> wrote:

                Has the infamous fine filter sleeve in the tank's pick up tube been removed? It'd be one less possibility.

                Steve
                Wind Rush II
                S38-I

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

                > Yesterday, on the way in from sailing, the diesel rolled back uncommanded
                > from the selected speed to idle. It stayed there for about a minute, and
                > then came back up to the selected speed. After another minute, it rolled
                > back again for another minute. We continued to do the one minute Cha-Cha
                > the rest of the way in.
                >
                > What is causing this? Is it the fuel filter? I have had diesels speed up
                > and die due to filter and fuel issues, but this changing up and down from
                > speed to idle at one minute intervals is new to me.
                >
                > Any ideas?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Bill B

              • Ed Flanagan
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2 4:55 PM
                  Bill I bought a new fuellifter for my W27 from JC whitney, the exact same as the Westerbeke for around $100.00, it just wasn't the pretty red color, but it is the exact same part.

                  --
                  Edward Flanagan
                  585-330-6154

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 2 7:06 PM
                    Bill,

                    Do you know what model your primary filter is? If it is a Racor 200 series, I have an entertaining (and helpful) story to tell. If it isn't a 200 series, the story loses its punch.

                    Let me know!

                    Harry

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

                    > Yesterday, on the way in from sailing, the diesel rolled back uncommanded
                    > from the selected speed to idle. It stayed there for about a minute, and
                    > then came back up to the selected speed. After another minute, it rolled
                    > back again for another minute. We continued to do the one minute Cha-Cha
                    > the rest of the way in.
                    >
                    > What is causing this? Is it the fuel filter? I have had diesels speed up
                    > and die due to filter and fuel issues, but this changing up and down from
                    > speed to idle at one minute intervals is new to me.
                    >
                    > Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Bill B

                  • Bill Blalock
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 3 6:12 AM
                      I will let you know as soon as I check, Harry.  A little humor goes a long way when the iron jib is on the fritz.
                      Bill B

                      On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM, sailor11767 <sailor11767@...> wrote:

                      Bill,

                      Do you know what model your primary filter is? If it is a Racor 200 series, I have an entertaining (and helpful) story to tell. If it isn't a 200 series, the story loses its punch.

                      Let me know!

                      Harry

                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

                      > Yesterday, on the way in from sailing, the diesel rolled back uncommanded
                      > from the selected speed to idle. It stayed there for about a minute, and
                      > then came back up to the selected speed. After another minute, it rolled
                      > back again for another minute. We continued to do the one minute Cha-Cha
                      > the rest of the way in.
                      >
                      > What is causing this? Is it the fuel filter? I have had diesels speed up
                      > and die due to filter and fuel issues, but this changing up and down from
                      > speed to idle at one minute intervals is new to me.
                      >
                      > Any ideas?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Bill B

                    • stebenb9567
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5 6:17 PM
                        Here's a previous email I sent on finding the pick up tube's sleeve:

                        I got the screen out on my S38-I without removing the tank. Access was only needed to top of the pick up tube. Although very hard to see (I only saw mine after I gave up looking & started shoving a heavy gauge wire down the pickup tube to rupture the sleeve), if the elbow is removed from the top of the pick up tube, the sleeve sits right there on and within the tube top. Think of a washer sitting on the tube top and a sleeve attached to the washer & extending
                        down into the tube. I used a vise grip to grip & ensure the tube didn't drop into the tank.

                        Steve Butkus
                        Wind Rush II
                        S38-1

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

                        > Hmmm, thank you for the list of excellent possibilities. I think I will
                        > start at the tank pickup and work through everything all the way to the
                        > fuel pump. The standard is flexible instead of solid fuel lines so I will
                        > take care of that too, and it's time for new filters anyway. I have a
                        > primer bulb already, and it works like a charm for bleeding the system,
                        > fwiw. Might as well change the oil while I'm in there.
                        >
                        > If it all that fails and it is the fuel pump, which for some reason rings
                        > true, what's the prognosis? Do you buy new or rebuild? Is a rebuild an
                        > owner endeavor? What's a fuel pump cost?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Bill B
                        > On Apr 2, 2012 5:28 PM, "stebenb9567" <stebenb9567@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Has the infamous fine filter sleeve in the tank's pick up tube been
                        > > removed? It'd be one less possibility.
                        > >
                        > > Steve
                        > > Wind Rush II
                        > > S38-I
                        > >
                        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Yesterday, on the way in from sailing, the diesel rolled back uncommanded
                        > > > from the selected speed to idle. It stayed there for about a minute, and
                        > > > then came back up to the selected speed. After another minute, it rolled
                        > > > back again for another minute. We continued to do the one minute Cha-Cha
                        > > > the rest of the way in.
                        > > >
                        > > > What is causing this? Is it the fuel filter? I have had diesels speed up
                        > > > and die due to filter and fuel issues, but this changing up and down from
                        > > > speed to idle at one minute intervals is new to me.
                        > > >
                        > > > Any ideas?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > >
                        > > > Bill B

                      • Bill Blalock
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 10 10:36 AM

                        Uhg, how embarrassing. Here's the Racor filter. Bill B

                        Message 12 of 21 , Apr 10 10:39 AM
                          Bill,

                          Looks like a timing problem.   Should have changed that filter a long time ago.

                          At least it is simple and cheap fix to your diesel problem.

                          Dave

                          Message 13 of 21 , Apr 10 11:01 AM
                            Bill -
                            Hard to tell from the photo, but if it's tarry, that stuff is asphaltines that settle out from the diesel.  You can pull a couple of gallons from the bottom and get the worst of it.  If the crud was shiny, black and stringy, it's dead algae/bugs and a treatment with BioBor followed by a fuel polishing would be a good plan.  Also, it wouldn't be in the tank if there wasn't some water in there, too.
                            Here's hoping it's normal diesel fuel tar.
                            Pete

                            On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

                            [Attachment(s) from Bill Blalock included below]

                            Uhg, how embarrassing. Here's the Racor filter. Bill B

                          • Mike Merriman

                              Message 15 of 21 , Apr 10 5:51 PM
                                I could tell you that story. But you have a different filter and wouldn't understand it (it's unique to the 200 series). So instead I'll tell you you aren't the first person to realize you aren't superhuman.

                                Harry

                                Message 16 of 21 , Apr 12 7:23 AM
                                  It turns out that the filters were not the issue.  After replacing the fuel filters in both the Racor 500 and the engine, she started right up. But, as I ran the engine to warm up the oil for an oil change, it rolled back from medium power to idle all on its own. After a minute, it came back up.  That's the same issue as before. Darn (Disclaimer: Not my exact words. Your words may vary).

                                  Following the suggestions from this list, I began at the beginning. I pulled the fuel pipe from the tank hoping for a blocked screen, but there was no screen and the pipe was clear. Next was the elbow on top of the tank, and sure enough it was blocked with all manner of crud, mainly some unidentifiable solid that stuck and served as an accretion point for hair and everything else (Yes, hair. Don't ask me).

                                  I had previously watched the fuel lines for collapse and knew they were good, the Racor was now spotless inside and out, and there is no electric fuel pump, so back together it all went.  She runs like a top now.

                                  Thanks for the help.

                                  Bill B, 1998 Yanmar 3JH2E

                                  On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM, sailor11767 <sailor11767@...> wrote:

                                  I could tell you that story. But you have a different filter and wouldn't understand it (it's unique to the 200 series). So instead I'll tell you you aren't the first person to realize you aren't superhuman.

                                  Harry

                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

                                  > Uhg, how embarrassing. Here's the Racor filter. Bill B

                                • Charles Sidwa
                                  Message 17 of 21 , Apr 12 7:57 AM
                                    Nothing like a good cheap fix!

                                    Charlie

                                    Message 18 of 21 , Apr 12 6:03 PM
                                      After fighting my fuel issue for nearly a year, and finally solving it, I decided that I would invest in a vacuum gauge. It tells a world of information. Racor sells a really nice kit, but they apparently hold it in high regard. My kit is easy and cheap ($20 delivered).

                                      I put the kit in the discharge of the filter. I can easily read it when the engine is running (I have to lift off the counter -- no big deal) and know a lot. The engine will pull something like 20 inches before dying, and runs normally at like 2 inches. I forget the exact numbers, but it is a BIG difference. Tells you a lot!

                                      My kit is this:

                                      http://www.drillspot.com/products/381933/Approved_Vendor_82400N-04_Female_Tee

                                      http://www.drillspot.com/products/401631/Approved_Vendor_82200N-04_Hex_Nipple

                                      The gauge is open to discussion.

                                      I used this one:
                                      http://www.drillspot.com/products/1319568/Vacuum_Gauge_4FMC1_Vacuum_Gauge
                                      which wasn't what I meant to order. It is cheaper, and does seem to do the job.

                                      I meant to get:
                                      http://www.drillspot.com/products/1319432/Vacuum_Gauge_4FLG9_Vacuum_Gauge
                                      which is liquid filled, which reduces vibration in the needle. Not a big deal, and it is is $15 instead of $10, but still I wish I had ordered it.

                                      These gauges both have the pipe on the BACK of the unit, which works for my installation. They also make the same gauge, same price, on the BOTTOM of the unit, which may work better for some installations.