Re: Cleaning up from holding tank leak

  • Peggie Hall
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 5, 2012
      > how best to go about cleaning out leaked sewage that would have been
      > on top of and down the back side of the holding tank, in very tight
      > quarters, and maybe into the bilge?

      Soap, water and bleach will not eliminate the odor in your bilge...for
      that, I recommend a product called PureAyre PureAyre I found it at the
      Seattle Boat Show about 6 years ago, took some home to test and it
      knocked my socks off...the only product I've ever found that can not
      only permanently eliminate "organic" (sewage, mold, swamp etc) odors,
      but ALL odors including diesel and smoke.

      So buy a gallon of PureAyre (the "household" version is the least
      expensive and works just as well as the "marine" version) and a 1 gallon
      garden pump sprayer jug (you COULD use a trigger sprayer, but your hand
      will get very tired)...clean up the site very thoroughly with plenty of
      detergent and water...remove all the excess water with a shop vac,
      sponge and bucket, whatever...when everything is pretty much dry, no
      more than just damp, coat every surface, nook and cranny in the affected
      area with the PureAyre. DO NOT RINSE!! Just let it dry, leaving all
      hatches open--even turn a fan on if you can--for at least 24 hours. If
      you still have any odor, you missed a spot.

      Btw...PureAyre is safe for use around children and pets...and food.

      Also replace the o-ring on the inspection port cap. That should be done
      every 5-6 years just as maintenance. Kracor uses 3" Beckson inspection
      ports...they sell replacement caps and o-rings, but you can find 'em for
      a LOT less elsewhere. Start by going directly to Beckson.

      --
      Peggie
      ----------
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 13, 2012
        > I'm going to cut a bigger hole where the gauge was and install a 4"
        > beckson port...

        Make sure that a 4" port is big enough...holes for fittings can
        sometimes be a lot bigger than the nominal size of the threaded opening
        where the cap goes.

        > Should I use silicone to bed the ring on the port as
        > beckson indicates?

        If the tank were fiberglass or polypropylene or any other material
        except polyethylene, I'd say "follow the instructions." But because the
        tank is PE and nothing bonds permanently to PE, I'd deviate from the
        instructions this time and make a rubber gasket instead. It'll last a
        LOT longer. You can buy rubber gasket materials at any hardware store
        or "box"...there are several kinds, so ask a helpful hardware person
        which to use for this application.

        > I've got #8 bolts to secure it to the tank.

        Self tapping screws are usually included--or at least specified...I'd
        use those instead.

        --
        Peggie