Re: [SabreSailboat] Cleaning up from holding tank leak

  • Blair Bunting
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 5, 2012
      Thanks, Pete, I appreciate your thoughts.  I'll search for earlier threads as well; I sometimes hesitate to ask a question because I assume I've just missed out on what's been discussed previously, but I thought maybe on this one it's a bit different.  I'll look into Peggy's book as well.
      Best,
      Blair

      On Mar 4, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Peter Tollini wrote:

      Blair -
      There's been a lot of discussion on this list about replacing hoses.  The best test is to take a rag, soak it in hot water then tie it around the suspect hose. After about 15 minutes remove the rag, go topside and smell it. If it stinks, you need to replace your hoses.
      When I replaced my hoses, I couldn't get the tank completely empty, so there was a little spillage.  I used good old Lysol in a sprayer, then rinsed it all down.  It worked fine.
      Peggie Hall's book, "Get Rid of Boat Odors" is worth it's weight in gold.
      Good luck,
      Pete

      On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Blair Bunting <bbmd@...> wrote:

      I have a 402 that I acquired last September that has had a sour waste tank sort of smell even after emptying and flushing the tank late in the season last year. I know that I may need to fill and flush and otherwise clean out the venting lines, and I have one or two segments of hose that are old, the others having been replaced a year or so ago. And I know that going over the hoses with clorox solution is needed occasionally.

      What I am now worried about is, after inspecting the top of the holding tank, it seems pretty clear that at some point in the past it leaked due to overfilling, seeping I suppose through the cap that was not tight enough to seal. Advice in general is welcome, but what I particularly wonder about it is how best to go about cleaning out leaked sewage that would have been on top of and down the back side of the holding tank, in very tight quarters, and maybe into the bilge? I imagine such things as rags tied to coat hangers and a dilute bleach solution or maybe baking soda solution and repeatedly and blindly washing out whatever might be there.

      Does anyone have any similar problem or experience?

      Thanks much;
      Blair Bunting
      RIchmond, VA
      S/V Whim, 402 #29

    • Peggie Hall
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 13, 2012
        > I'm going to cut a bigger hole where the gauge was and install a 4"
        > beckson port...

        Make sure that a 4" port is big enough...holes for fittings can
        sometimes be a lot bigger than the nominal size of the threaded opening
        where the cap goes.

        > Should I use silicone to bed the ring on the port as
        > beckson indicates?

        If the tank were fiberglass or polypropylene or any other material
        except polyethylene, I'd say "follow the instructions." But because the
        tank is PE and nothing bonds permanently to PE, I'd deviate from the
        instructions this time and make a rubber gasket instead. It'll last a
        LOT longer. You can buy rubber gasket materials at any hardware store
        or "box"...there are several kinds, so ask a helpful hardware person
        which to use for this application.

        > I've got #8 bolts to secure it to the tank.

        Self tapping screws are usually included--or at least specified...I'd
        use those instead.

        --
        Peggie