Re: Recommendation sought for awlgripping the hull - greater Boston area

  • marblehead2011
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 1, 2012
      Thanks for the recommendation. I'm guessing that the $150/ft doesn't include prep work. Do you recall how much that cost in addition to the painting cost?

      thanks, Bob

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jay Heihsel <heihjay@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Custom Fiberglass out hingham repainted our s34 about six years ago and still looks great! We went with dark green - it was a new color at the time.
      >
      > Cost - it was about $150 a foot
      >
      > Best
      > Jay
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:31 PM, "marblehead2011" <rryan14@...> wrote:
      >
      > > We are thinking about painting our hull dark blue/black on our 85 Sabre 36. The gelcoat isn't bad, but there are a couple of deep scratches that I don't think will come out without re-gelcoating a large section of the portside hull (the hull color is gray rather than white).
      > >
      > > My questions to this forum:
      > >
      > > 1. In the greater Boston area (the boat is in Marblehead), can any recommend a reputable company for painting?
      > >
      > > 2. If you have done this in the past, approximately how much did it cost you?
      > >
      > > 3. From your experience, would you recommend Awlgrip or other paints like Imron?
      > >
      > > There's a guy in Rockland, ME (Peter Johanson) that has an excellent reputation and facility - just far away. Maybe that is the route to go for the following winter season?
      > >
      > > Thanks as always,
      > >
      > > Bob

    • marblehead2011
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 5, 2012
        I appreciate all the input that this post has generated. Here's where I am so far:

        Intellectually, I agree that gelcoating makes more sense than an awlgripped paint job - but I co-own my boat with a guy who absolutely lusts after any boat that is awlgripped navy/black (flag blue, I surmise). So, we might as well do that.

        We had a bunch of work done at Johanson's in Rockland Maine when we first bought the boat - a great yard with a painting shed. But, the added cost of getting the boat up there plus their hauling costs (they aren't on the water), makes this more expensive than the Boston area places (a surprise to me).

        So, I'll see about getting some ballpark estimates at:

        Dennis Doucette - Ipswich
        Custom Fiberglass - Hingham
        Dions - Salem
        Marblehead Trading - Marblehead
        Shaw's - Deighton
        Simms Bros. - Marshfield

        I'll avoid Onset and maybe Marblehead Trading from past experience. This is a great list to start with and a testament to value of this list group.

        I am wondering if the time to get the boat painting is in the summer versus the offseason?

        Again, thank you to all who responded.

        Bob