Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Teak and Holly Sole and interior wall re-finishing

  • Allison Lehman
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 31, 2011
      Ray,
      Glad to hear it all workout so well.  Are you going to finish in high-gloss or satin?

      Yes, we have had experience with sanding T&H soles before, and know the perils of sanding too heavily!  Our sole is pretty good with one small exception.  I think it is not very high on the list right now given we just discovered a leak in the injector pump:-(  It seems the newer sulfured diesel is eating the o-rings  up.  Well if it isn't one thing, it's another.

      HAppy new year,
      Allsion

      Allison Lehman
      Yachtfinders/Windseakers
      510 912-5800 cell
      510 860-4640 fax

      P Please consider the environment before printing this email

      On Dec 31, 2011, at 2:36 PM, rayjanine2002 wrote:

      Hi Allison:

      Thanks for the advice. I just took some pictures of my companionway and also my salon floor. The companionway is starting to lighten to match the surrounding area but there is still little areas that are a deeper cherry color. Over time those should lighten too due to the bleaching affect of the sun. I used the guidance that Save Your Sole recommended and they were right on with everything. The only thing I can add is that the holly portion of the teak and holly on our boats is thinner than the teak. Be very careful scrapping and then sanding the holly or you will wind up with the holly disappearing and teak showing underneath. This happended to me on a very small area (0.5 inches). I then used a oil based stain to match the holly and it came out great. The scrapper I used was from Lowes and it had a razor edge that was 2.25" wide and you drag it towards you to remove the old finish after heating it with a heat gun. The heat gun I used was Dewalt D26950 which has variable heatness from 120 deg F to 1100 deg F. You regulate the heat by turning a knob on the back of the heat gun to the setting you want. It worked fantastic. The pictures you see are my sole with one coat of the Interlux Sealer 1026. I plan on putting one coat of the Interlux Goldspar Satin 60 Varnish on my sole tomorrow and then since the weather is getting colder may not be putting the last three to four coats on until the spring.

      Have a Happy New Year and talk to you in 2012.

      Kind Regards,

      Ray
      Second Wind
      1993 Sabre 362