storing a cb boat on the hard

  • fs3873
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2011
      Next week I will haul my new to me S34 centerboard boat for the first time. I have never owned a boat with a centerboard, and I am wondering if there is anything special that should be done while setting it down for the winter.

      I am figuring that it is best to not set the keel on the ground, and that it may be best to block the keel so that the centerboard is unobstructed.

      Any advice would be appreciated.

      Thanks
      John
    • Dave Evans
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 2011
        John,
        The boat will be supported by jack stands? If you go to the Brownell Systems website, you can read their recommendations. You do want blocks, two pyramids of three 8" x 8" blocks. For our 34-II K/CB there is a slot routed in the aft edge of the top front block. It's a bit tight, but the keel can just be supported such that the CB can be lowered into a hole in the ground. You don't need to do it every year, so other times the front stack can be further aft. I can take a photo or two.
        dge

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 12, 2011, at 9:42 PM, "fs3873" <jsts@...> wrote:

        Next week I will haul my new to me S34 centerboard boat for the first time. I have never owned a boat with a centerboard, and I am wondering if there is anything special that should be done while setting it down for the winter.

        I am figuring that it is best to not set the keel on the ground, and that it may be best to block the keel so that the centerboard is unobstructed.

        Any advice would be appreciated.

        Thanks
        John

      • JOHN CALLIS
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2011

          The boat will be on 5 jack stands, but I have seen other sailboats in my yard with there keels in the dirt, on blocks of wood or on cinder blocks.

          My Marina is run by a guy that dislikes sailboats so I am always a bit uncomfortable with his suggestions on how to do almost anything.

          Since you have the same boat I would greatly appreciate a couple pictures, and any other advice you can offer.  He will be more likely to believe my suggestions for storage if I can back it up with a photo of how it should be done.

          Thanks
          John
          S 34 MKII #333

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2011
            Two comments:

            * The keel on a CB boat is HUGE. Can damn near stand up without jack stands (not that I would!). Seriously, it is wide and flat, and makes a wonderful surface to sit on. Just some blocks under it to lift it up a bit. As pointed out by another poster, getting to the board for service is an issue.

            * I learned this the hard way. Take advantage of the fact you are on the hard to remove and inspect your lifting block (the one on top of the keel). Loosen the cable, loosen the cable clamps, remove 6 small nuts (1/4" or so), and lift it up. Look at the sheave. Mine is toast, and my board is stuck up. I *hope* I can get it apart when I pull out.

            Harry
            Rantum Scoot
            '79 S34-i #063
            Mill Creek, Annapolis

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2011
              John,

              On a 34 foot boat you will need 7 jackstands, one for the bow and three on each side.  The keel needs to be blocked fore and aft, wood will be kinder to the keel. The jackstands need to be chained together and the ground needs to be capable of supporting the jackstands without them sinking into the mud or if on asphalt the base needs to be well drained so that frost heaves don't move the jackstands.

              It cost me $600 to learn this which was a bargain compared to the $14.5 K that the insurance company paid.

              Dave

              Dave

            • sabre32sailor@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 13, 2011
                Should use 7 jackstands and if the ground is not paved or packed gravel, there should be 1x1 pieces of plywood under each leg.  Cinder blocks do not belong in a yard.  They are dangerous for autos. You want to stack a couple tons of boat on them?

                Best is 12x12 or 14x14 timber under the keel.

                With a clown running your yard, I'd make sure my insurance was up to date.

                -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

                On Nov 13, 2011 10:25 AM, JOHN CALLIS <jsts@...> wrote:

                Dave

[...]

              • Jay Heihsel

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 2011
                    John,

                    Here are shots of the blocking and the CB block in the front of the keel:

                    http://images.sailonset.com/IMG_6483x900.jpg
                    http://images.sailonset.com/IMG_6484x900.jpg

                    We just have five stands which seem fine; if I had a full keel, I might want seven!

                    Sometimes we get by with just the two at the stern: http://images.sailonset.com/DSCN2584x750.jpg
                    Well, for a few moments, anyway, while the transporter pulls away! It's pretty stable.

                    I'll try the HTML img src one of these days.

                    dge

                    Dave

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 16, 2011
                        Yes on the notch. Without it, and depending where the block is in relation to the cb opening, you can drop it to clean it off but not reach the pendant.
                        dge

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Dave