Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: sabre 30 handrails

  • JOHN CALLIS
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2011
      I am going to be refinishing all of my exterior teak this winter/Spring.  Would it be advisable to remove the handrail for refinishing?  The removing, and refinishing would be easy, but I wonder if the reinstallation, would make me wish that I had left them on the boat.

      As a added benefit to removing them for the ease of sanding and refinishing, I would have the ability to rebed them.  They don't leak, but it might be a wise preventative measure.

      What do you think?

      John
      S34 MKII

      On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM, michael braisted wrote:

         Thanks for all the replies

    • Barry Dwyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2011

        John, there are pros and cons.

        With them off, you can also epoxy the bottom to prevent water from wicking up and spoiling your new varnish job. If you do this, make sure you use caulk that is compatible with varnish.

        If you leave them on, you will not have to deal with replacing the bungs and doing all that varnish work over again.

        I removed mine to refinish and am not sure what I would do next time.  Maybe write a check…

        Barry

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2011
          I've removed them too, but I did it to rebed. I wouldn't do it just to varnish. The bungs alone make it not worth while to deal with unless you need to.

          If you do remove them, the ideal thing to do would be to dig out the core in every hole, seal with epoxy, then redrill all the holes. Even if you don't go that far (it has its own problems because it can be tough to re-align the holes) I'd still recommend:

          - Chamfer the holes on deck (reduces cracks and give sealant a place to live)
          - Chamfer the bottoms of the rails (this was already done on our rails)
          - Seal the bottoms of the rails with epoxy
          - Use new screws--getting the goop off the old ones isn't worth it

          I used 3M101 polysulfide, by the way. 3M101 isn't available anymore, so I might use Lifecalk or butyl tape. Whatever you use, you want it to be flexible, stretchy, and removable (so don't use 5200 or the like).

          Hope that helps
          -Jim

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2011
            Sounds like you did a bang up job,  once and done . Lee  fla