Re: [SabreSailboat] Comparing marine butyl and RV butyl

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011
      As I have quoted Spike from the boatyard on 3m 5200, 4200, 4000UV and the ilk:

      That s--- can walk 10 feet on it's own.
      Pete

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Ed Flanagan <brugh100@...> wrote:

      I also bought butyl from RC and have used it on re-bedding the stanchions, I am in the process of redoing all stanchions, following RC's excellent demonstration on his web page.  His process is very good and it makes it as simple as possible for a difficult project.  The butyl is perfect for the rebedding and I don't end up with white sticky caulk escaping and ending up sticking to everything from bow to stern.

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM, tsaiapex25 <tsaiapex25@...> wrote:

      Like many of you, I have been using butyl tape sold at RV stores and have wondered the difference from the "marine butyl tape" sold by one of the forum members here. I bit the bullet and purchased two roles and put to use this weekend re-bedding section of rubrail, teak toerail and stanchion base to complete the post-Irene repairs. Wow what a difference!

      The marine butyl is 1/8" thick and is much easier to use for bedding hardware. The RV butyl tape is 1/4" thick and has more a putty consistency while the marine butyl feels more like tape.

      The biggest difference is the tensile strength, the RV butyl would lose its physical property and breaks off when stretched 3x of its length. The marine butyl goes on forever when stretched while maintaining its physical property.

      So my conclusion is that marine butyl is far better for re-bedding hardware than RV butyl.

      --
      Edward Flanagan
      585-330-6154