Re: [SabreSailboat] Any old 34-II mainsails near Boston?

  • David Evans
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2011
      Dave,
      Sail is probably a decade old by the PO. Has kept its shape, since a
      laminate. Obviously the thread not prepared for so long a time! Will see
      how much to restitch; don't know much about tape for such an area and not
      just a poke through.
      Certainly go for a new sail next year; probably a matching genoa to
      replace the too-big 145% we have.
      I like your idea of making things out of it; not sure if mildewed laminate
      looks as nice as dacron or cuben fiber, though!
      dge

      > Dave,
      >
      > Depends on how long you want to use it. How old is the sail?
      >
      > For the short term, some sail tape and stitching it up quick might get you
      > through the rest of the season, if the Katia/Lee storm doesn't shut us all
      > down again. Then again, any excuse to get a new sail is a good one.
      >
      > Dave
      >

      > On Sep 3, 2011, at 5:51 PM, David Evans wrote:
      >
      > Or, is this beyond taping up?
      > http://images.sailonset.com/iphotos/IMG_0498x900.jpg
      > Thx,
      > dge
      >
      >> Our laminate main just shredded itself in the 25-knot SW in Buzzards
      >> Bay.
      >> First at the bottom so started to put in the first reef (a good idea
      >> anyway). While hoisting it, a panel blew out up by the second batten.
      >> Is this the end (of the season)?
      >> What's for Christmas?
      >> dge

    • Alan Therrien
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
        Let me know if you don't repair your existing sail.  I have an old main for my S34 MkI that I've been keeping for a spare.  I might consider letting it go cheaply, if you decide you need it.

        Alan T.