RE: [SabreSailboat] Re: Interior Finish

  • THOMPSON, GREGORY
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 2 7:33 AM
      On the fiddles around my sink, I followed Rebecca Wittman's hand rubbed tung oil process and have been very happy.

      Greg T.

      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2 8:16 AM
        Go to www.dalyspaint.com , the product descriptions are clear, and if you need more info, call their 800 number. It's likely that a Daly will answer your questions and make recommendations. They are an old Seattle business, in the center of the wooden boat universe (sorry, Maineiacs).
        I was a Watco fan, until I got a copy of Rebecca Wittman's "Brightwork" and switched to Seafin.  Watco is a great finish, but its base is linseed oil, which darkens more over time than Dalys' tung oil base.
        If you want a finish that guests will pet like a dog, use Wittman's wet sanding with Dalys technique.
        Pete

        On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM, josrulz_2001 <josrulz_2001@...> wrote:

        Hi David,
        Our interior is completely unfinished, so I'm always interested to understand what others do.

        Are the Profin and Seafin products essentially oils? And as oils, do they tend to collect dirt? Just wondering what your experience is with that aspect of these products.

        We like to keep things simple, and the idea of completely finishing the interior with some type of urethane or similar is a bit daunting (big job). On the other hand, we don't want to go through the process of sanding and oiling everything and then have to do that repeatedly to keep the dirt off.

        If Ultimate Sole was still available, we'd probably use that on the sole, but since it's not, we have no idea what we'll do.

        Thanks!
        -Jim
        1984 Sabre 34, #207

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:

        > Oops, to clarify, I actually used Profin on the cabin sole and Seafin on the other teak. My comments apply to both though.
        > David
        >
        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "dleedvm" <leex3103@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm with Ed, Daly's Seafin is the way to go. It is the easiest finish I've ever applied - virtually idiot proof (using myself as the test subject). Builds quickly, has just the right amount of gloss without being slippery, and makes the inside glow. Also, a great family run business that really cares about customer service.
        > > David
        > >
        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Ed Flanagan <brugh100@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > John, I used Daly's Seafin Teak Oil, from the usual sources. This book
        > > > explains what the process is for applying the teak oil, it's a magnificent
        > > > finish, I did the entire inside of my boat about in 2000 everything, basket
        > > > weave doors included, I first sanded with 220 grit just to knock down all
        > > > the heavy grain in the wood, if it was teak and it didn't move it was
        > > > sanded, seafin teak, apply with foam brush, let soak in, then another coat,
        > > > let soak in, then another coat and sand with 320 3m wet sand paper, it
        > > > produces a paste with the dust from sanding, then you rub with a circular
        > > > motion to work the paste into all the little crevasses to create a smooth
        > > > baby bottom soft finish. Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood Rebecca J.
        > > > Wittman<http://www.amazon.com/Rebecca-J.-Wittman/e/B001IQWJ2C/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1>
        > > > ,this
        > > > is where I first heard of Daley's, I did my table down to 600 grit finish,
        > > > it is a beautiful finish that every couple of years you apply a coat and rub
        > > > with a fine green scrubby wipe clean and done for another 3-4 years. It's a
        > > > really good book for varnish and general wood finishing but her finishing of
        > > > interior teak is the best I've ever used. Everyone that has seen the
        > > > interior is amazed at how it looks and feels, it's a bear if a job but with
        > > > the quality of the work that Sabre put into the interior it deserves
        > > > a quality finish.
        > > >
        > > > Cheers,
        > > > Ed
        > > > Sabre 34 series I "BRUGH"

        > > > --
        > > > Edward Flanagan
        > > > 585-330-6154

      • Ed Flanagan
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2 8:28 AM
          Peter your "pet like a dog" is a perfect statement.  It's absolutely true everyone that touches the finish has the same reaction, thanks for putting that into words for me.  I wet sanded using her technique on the entire inside cabin, wasn't working at the time and needed to keep busy.  That definitely did it.

          Cheers,
          Ed
          BRUGH  Sabre 34 Series I, HIN#246

          --
          Edward Flanagan
          585-330-6154

        • cr_folk
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 3 6:07 PM
            I would like to see before/after pics. Do you guys have any to share?

            Wish I was sailing,
            Carolyn