Re: [SabreSailboat] water proofing your laptop

  • Alan Therrien
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2011

      Greg,

      Sorry to hear about your misfortune on the MH2H race.  I was also surprised at the price of the Pelican cases, considering they are primarily molded plastic boxes with hinges and a rubber seal.  I'm going to check out the Seal-line ones you located.  I'll let you know if I find others as well.

      I'm not concerned about "green water", as I have zero leaks in my Sabre.  But I've been in Maine fog thick enough to be the equivalent of a steady rain.  You can't keep the humidity/moisture level out of the boat interior.  I'd rather not fry my new laptop.

      Alan

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2011
        Forgot to mention that the Otterbox is NOT waterproof.

        I have yet to find a good waterproof solution.

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2011
          What about a roll top waterproof gear bag like the canoers and kayakers use?

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2011
            An external case is a nice, solid, long term solution. If all you need is a short term cobble, you need something like this:
            http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-sata-ide-cable-set-474
            $11 delivered (3-week lead, usually!), and it connects a bare drive to your USB port. Nice little universal tool, and easy use and easy to store.

            Harry

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Gregory McMahon <gmcmoose1@...> wrote:

            > The leaking boat is not my boat, I was crew on someone elses. If it were mine, I
            > would be repairing the leaks. Base on this experience, the owner plans on
            > replacing his toerail.
            >
            > Thanks for the advice on getting my data off the hard drive.
            >
            > Greg
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Alan
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2011
              Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. I went to the local REI store today and purchased a sealable plastic container for my laptop. I got the large size which should also keep moisture out of other electronic devices (ie Kindle) while cruising. Now I won't worry about moisture damage regardless of fog and humidity levels.

              Here's the link to the product I purchased: http://www.rei.com/product/798008/sealline-large-hp-map-case-22-x-155

              I'll let you know how it works on my return.

              Alan T.
              S34 MkI #162
            • Skip Hardy
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2011
                Just to add our experience from cruising the past 3 years...
                We've used a large ziploc over our regular sturdy PC bag on some pretty wet dinghy rides.  (BTW, make sure you also put your wallet in a ziploc for those wet dinghy rides!)  If your laptop is in a sleeve, you can easily put it in a dry bag that rolls over on the top.  We found a dry bag made by Columbia on sale that works well.  In addition to getting wet, you also want to make sure it's protected from getting banged around when you take it ashore.  When underway we keep the laptop on the nav station anchored with a treefrog mat (www.treefrogpad.com).  It works great.  If we're making a crossing or the seas will be rough, we pack up the laptop in its case and stow it.  We have some other cruising equipment recommendations on our blog http://moondance38.wordpress.com

                Harriet & Skip
                s/v Moondance
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2011
                  In a previous response I mentioned a friend on the way from Britain to Sweden who has a waterproof case for his ipad2.  The good news is here is the website for the case, http://www.soltek.se/ the bad news - it's in Swedish.  He says to use the google translator which I confess to know nothing about.  I hope this is helpful.

                  Bill Randall

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <AlTherrien@...> wrote:

                  > I'm planning a cruise along the often fog ladden coast of Maine in a couple of weeks. I'd like to take my laptop on the cruise. What do others use to waterproof their laptop?
                  >
                  > Thanks for sharing your solutions.
                  >
                  > Alan Therrien
                  > S34 MkI #162

                • Bill Randall
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2011
                    Staffan just emailed me with more information and another site for the ipad case.  He says they also make a bracket to mount it on the binnacle.  This one is German. http://www.mspnolte.de/html/ipad_zubehor.html

                    --
                    Bill Randall
                    AFI/Filmworks