Re: WM Price Matching

  • david
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 2, 2011
      Not to mention that west is always out of stock of common items. I got so frustrated I emailed a complaint. I do nearly all my shopping at defender and hamtilton now.
    • Mike Merriman
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 2, 2011

        I don’t understand why people are asking if they will price match.  It’s the store policy that they will AND not add shipping charges.  Anyone experiencing anything other than this behavior should call corporate and demand someone’s head.

        Low Price Guarantee

        Our low price guarantee is simple! If you find a lower price offered by one of our retail competitors* on identical, in-stock branded items, we will match the price of that item (without adding shipping or handling charges or taxes) within 30 days of purchase.

        Q. Are shipping and/or handling charges included in the price match?
        A. No. The guarantee only applies to the base cost of the product before shipping, handling or sales tax charges.

        Mike Merriman

        From: Jim Starkey <jstarkey@...>
        To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, July 1, 2011, 4:09 PM

        They should be happy.  Pricing matching by a giant is a way to screw their small would-be competitors.  West is following the Wal-mart strategy to put local competition out of business.

        Pyacht wants to compete with West.  West advertises high prices -- and usually get them -- and Pyacht advertises low prices.  Pyacht hopes to make it up on volume, but gets screwed by West which can match their price on a case by case basis without much effect on their margins.  If Pyacht goes away West can maintain their margins on all sales.

        You can't win.  The big guy usually eats the little guy.  Until then we get a deal.

        You'd probably be doing yourself a service in the long term by buying only on advertised price.  Or go by service, which I think is an even better strategy.

        On 7/1/2011 3:49 PM, Peter Tollini wrote:

        Recently I've seen some discouraging posts about WM's price matching policy.  My solar vent finally gave up the ghost, after being kept on life support with a battery transplant, lubrication, etc.

        Pyacht had a replacement on sale for 25% under WM's price.

        Below is my exhange when I called the Tracy's Landing, MD store, located @ 400 yards from my slip.

        "Thanks for calling West Marine Tracy's Landing. How can I help you?"

        "Do you price match Pyacht?"

        "Absolutely. What's the item? I'm bringing up their web site."

        "4" Nicro Solar Vent in stainless."

        "I've got it. We'll match that. How many do you need?"

        "Just one."

        "I'm showing two in stock. If you can give me a second I'll check the shelf"

        -Pause-

        "Hi. I've got it in my hand."

        "Can you hold it for me, I'll stop by tonight."

        "No problem.  I printed out the Pyacht page and taped it to the box, so you won't have to print it and bring a copy. What's your name?"

        "Pete Tollini"

        "Got it. I'll see you tonight, then. Thanks for calling West Marine."

        It doesn't get much better than that.

        Pete

      • R Coerse
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 2, 2011
          I have called Corporate on 3 occasions but it obviously does no good in the long run since it keeps happening.  I now vote with my wallet.  Defender and Hamilton now get ALL my business.

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011

            We should appreciate and support, on occasion, WM. Without WM we have no way of knowing if Defender, Hamilton, or other businesses are really giving us a good deal.

            A while back the manager at the local WM told me that WM's biggest competitor is WalMart. So, much of what they do is geared towards competing not with Defender, but with WalMart.

            WM has a lot of expenses that Defender and Hamilton do not appear to have. WM publishes a much fancier catalog and website,  has West Advantage Rewards, and is more visible with sponsorship of different boating events. They have been supportive of events at my yacht club.

            With that said, like many here, WM is not my first stop when shopping, but I do not avoid them like I avoid WalMart. And on some things, like bottom paint WM's price is competitive when the additional hazardous shipping costs are included. And if you are ordering something oversized or heavy, the ship to store option can save on shipping costs.

            Another company that I am becoming disenfranchised with is Jamestown Distributors. It seems that over the past few years they have become much less competitive. Have others had the same experience?

            Dave

            On Jul 2, 2011, at 8:08 PM, R Coerse wrote:

            I have called Corporate on 3 occasions but it obviously does no good in the long run since it keeps happening.  I now vote with my wallet.  Defender and Hamilton now get ALL my business.

            On 7/2/2011 4:20 PM, Mike Merriman wrote:

            I don’t understand why people are asking if they will price match.  It’s the store policy that they will AND not add shipping charges.  Anyone experiencing anything other than this behavior should call corporate and demand someone’s head.

          • Dave Evans

              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011
                Where price matching may be morally acceptable is when it's something you wouldn't get shipped anyway. You need a part, and its all over the internet for $5, but WM wants $12. You can't justify the S&H and wait to save a buck or two over WM. But, the evil WM empire would cheerfully charge you $12. By getting a PM, you aren't directly helping out the little guy (they don't get your money), but you are at least reminding WM that you know how their prices compare.

                The last PM I did at WM was for a quart of teak oil. I was placing an order with Sailboatowners.com that was well over $100 (it started with $15 of stuff and just wouldn't stop growing!), but I made a conscious decision to remove that item from the order. The weight added too much to the shipping cost (SBO bills ACTUAL shipping, after they ship. Until it ships, it is just an estimate, and in my limited experience it always comes DOWN from the estimate). So WM matched at about 50% of their listed price.

                I hate the vacuum that WM has made. Here in Annapolis, "The nation's sailing capitol," the choices are VERY slim. There is WM. There is APS, which for rigging and such is very complete, although I think they are still a bit high, and there is Fawcetts. Fawcetts is an odd bird -- they have no online list of products. They make it clear that PYacht pricing (which also can be quite high) will NOT be honored in the store unless you do an online order and set up for will call -- so you essentially have to PM Fawcetts as a matter of practice! Boaters World and BoatUS have both gone away, as well as the place just over the bridge in Easport that had very good prices (I can't remember the name right now). It sure would be nice to have a low-price giant within 50 miles of Annapolis so that you could shop there because it made sense, not because of a moral dilemma.

                Around here, for a $20 part the choices are:
                * Pay WM price and get it today
                * PM at WM and get it today
                * Buy from Defender, SBO, Hamilton, etc and pay S&H and get it later this week.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011
                  Harry  -
                  The problem in Annapolis is buying routine stuff.  There are multiple canvas shops, riggers, sailmakers, prop & shaft shops, engine shops,electronics shops, plastics, electrical and stainless fabricators, A/C and refrigerigation specialists, marine carpenters and so on, where we have the true luxury of access to stuff that drives other sailors crazy.
                  But when it comes down to paint, a seacock or a length of hose, you are absolutely right.  WM is like Home Depot, big, convenient and very crafty about pricing.
                  The place over the bridge which is now a real estate office was Viking Boat Supplies, started by Pete DiSilva in the '60s when he got tired of waiting in line at Fawcett's.  Pete and his crew were a unique combination of irascible and infinitely helpful.  I miss the store, but still see Pete on occasion.
                  Pete

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011
                    Yep, Viking it was. They were still in business -- and got my business -- when I bought my first boat, a very tired Lightning in 1994. By First Boat, I mean the first boat that I paid for and had to maintain -- different from the boats I had before where some guy with an infinite bank balance bought the boat, bought the supplies, bought the clothes on my back, etc.

                    Harry

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > Around here, for a $20 part the choices are:
                    > > * Pay WM price and get it today
                    > > * PM at WM and get it today
                    > > * Buy from Defender, SBO, Hamilton, etc and pay S&H and get it later this
                    > > week.
                    > >
                    > > Harry
                    > >
                    > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Brooks Wright <bwright847@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I had to get a replacement for the bolt and plate set on my Gusher 10
                    > > manual
                    > > > pump. Defender's price was $44 something. West Marine's
                    > > > price was $99 for the exact same item. Defender shipped it the same day
                    > > and I
                    > > > had it the next day. I wouldn't have given WM the business
                    > > > even if they had agreed to match the price and had it on the shelf, just
                    > > as a
                    > > > matter of principal (the principal being that they ticked me off with

                  • Al Lorman
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011

                      I’ve found that WM will price match pyacht without a fuss, so you get pyacht’s (sometimes) better prices and get it today if WM has it in stock.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011
                        It wasn't a case of lack of business.  Pete turned 75, his self-selected retirement age, Long & Foster wanted the building, which he still owns, and
                        negotiated a very good (for Pete) 10 year lease.  Unfortunately, like many former marine businesses,  the property, like the old Fawcett's building, was worth more than the business, so when Pete decided to retire, so did the business.  His Honda and Caribe franchises went to Fawcett's.
                        The frist time I went in there around 1983, the Honda 7.5 on our Paceship PY23 needed a water outlet hose.  I was tied up at Port Annapolis, walked over to Viking and asked for one.  Not in stock, so Pete pulled one off of a floor model, and tagged the motor on the floor. Great place.
                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011
                          The one really good place we had that made Annapolis feel special and loved, was Sailrite. They are moments away from leaving us (but I guess to some extent they will assume the position of price-match-ee, if you can find someone local to sell the stuff), but it sure was great to be able to shop local AND get competitive pricing. With anything from Sailrite, you never needed to price match elsewhere -- you could walk right up and buy it!

                          The price is only one part of the competition game. The part that hurts more is the selection. The life jackets I used for years on my Lightning were bought after trying the product lines at WalMart, KMart, WM, BoatUS, etc -- until I found "The One" at Boater's World. If you shop Defender for a GPS and don't like what you find, you can go to West. I needed a "hammock hook" (a small, inexpensive SS hook made by SeaDog), and to my knowledge there is not a single vendor in Annapolis that stocks this item (WM sells an identical item, house brand, for $2.25, not in stock). I had to mail order them from SBO at .66 each. I didn't even try to PM at WM, because I figured that once they re-badge the SeaDog product to WM label, they can charge 4 times as much and will NEVER have to price match! Back to the point, it hurts not having ANY competition, price OR selection.

                        • Jstarkey@nimbusdb.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011
                            PY23?  That was the very first boat I fell in love with.  Second was a Sabre 28 -- the original.  Couldn't even dream of affording that, but a boy can dream!

                            Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.
                            978 526-1376

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 3, 2011
                              At least you guys in Annapolis have a choice of where to go to get overcharged. My choice is WM or WM or wait for mail order.

                              Dave

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 4, 2011
                                Jim-
                                We ordered the "Quarter Ton" version at the 1979 Annapolis show. Tan gel coat with chocolate brown boot and cove stripes. It was the same hull, but with a deep fin and non retractable counterbalanced rudder.  It was a bit tender, but it was a little rocket, actually breaking 10 kts surfing down waves.  We cruised the Chesapeake with a 7 year old and a German Shepherd, pulling a Sea Shell plywood kit dinghy.  It seemed normal.  The PY is still sailing down in North Carolina.
                                And yes, I was in love with the beautiful, but unattainable Sabre 28, too. It was the Mrs.Peel of boats.
                                Pete

                              • josrulz_2001
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 4, 2011
                                  I realize this is a bit off topic, but Pete's description reminds me of something similar. In 1979, my parents bought an O'Day 23, and our family of four sailed all over the Chesapeake out of Norfolk. Our first "long cruise" was from Norfolk to Annapolis and back. My parents (inexperienced cruisers) figured 3 days from Norfolk to Annapolis, 3 days to hang out in Annapolis, and 3 days back. So 50 miles a day average for our 23, with no room for bad weather. We pulled off that trip, and many others like it. As Pete said about his PY23, this seemed normal.

                                  And yes, Sabres were those boats that the Boat Show that were "unattainable".

                                • Donald Snelgrove
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 4, 2011
                                    I'm relatively new to the Annapolis area, but I have found that Bacon Sails off of West St will order any item that I wish from an extensive set of catalogs. I'll sometimes buy their reasonably-priced used items (which they sell on consignment) but they have a knowledgeable staff (ask for Gavin) and new parts come in within 2-3 days. I haven't directly compared their prices to Defender, but all items I have bought have definitely been less expensive than WM, with no shipping charges.
                                    BTW, although I don't own a Sabre (I purchased a Dehler 39 this past winter), but I really love reading your great posts, gents....
                                    Don S.
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 4, 2011
                                      Don,

                                      Do you by chance sail on Round Bay? I race on Lightfoot.

                                      Harry

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 5, 2011
                                        Thanks, Don. I forgot about Bacon's, an Annapolis institution.  I went in looking for a used outboard motor cart, they didn't have one, but they ordered a new one at a lower price than Defender.  They lost the order and when it arrived after the second order, they offered to pay the MD sales tax as an apology.  If only they had hours that worked for people with jobs who don't live in Annapolis proper.
                                        Pete