Re: Emergency Tiller Access Plate - S34 MkI or II

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2006
      Dave:

      Yes, I can imagine that might be a bit uncomfortable. I was a little
      worried about having a bump on the cockpit floor but it hasn't been a
      problem. When sailing I'm always off to one side or the other. When
      motoring, I often sit. The deck plate looks better than the old piece
      of plastic and I could probably still bust it open if I had to in an
      emergency. I've tried the emergency tiller and I can't imagine it
      would be useful in anything other than dead calm conditions. I guess
      adrenalin might help some but . . .

      Eric
      Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
      West River, MD

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Evans" <dave@...> wrote:

      > Eric,
      > That is neat! On the 34 Mk II, the opening is in the helm seat, but
      with the same problems that have been discussed. But wouldn't want a
      bump! I do know that using deck plates with the finger recesses, you
      get a surprise when you sit down after it rains.
      > dge

      I'm not
      > > > sure

      > funny fact
      > would not be
      > mechanism

      > Boating

      Service.

    • jheihsel@ctechconsulting.biz
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2006
        I had a similar setup that Onset Bay Marine installed for about $700 using a beckson cap.  Unfortunately, inside the cap was never a 100% dry and the cap was always in the way - tripping over it.

        As a result, I had a carpenter install 1" teak decking in the helm area.  The took 2 - 12" by 1"  wide pieces of teak and glued them together.  Then shaped it to match the helm area.  Later I mounted a stainless cap on the 1" piece of teak resulting in a water tight and flat surface.

        Jay

> [...]
        In the
        > >  > rare and unlikely event that you need to pop it open, you could
        just
        > >  > re-seal it the same way after scraping off the old silicone.
        > >  >
        > >  > I was also considering some sort of thin rubber gasket, but I'm not
        > >  sure
        > >  > such a thing would make as good a seal, considering the molded-in
        > >  > nonskid surrounding the hole.
        > >  >
        > >  > As someone else on the list has pointed out, it's a darkly
        funny fact
        > >  > that any situation requiring use of the emergency tiller would most
        > >  > likely be one in which fumbling for and with a screwdriver
        would not be
        > >  > the helmsman's first priority. Some kind of tool-less release

      • R. Coerse
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2006
          I have tried using the stock "T" shaped emergency tiller and I must agree, anything more than a flat calm would be a real bear.  Having said that, I had the ends of the "T" threaded at a plumbing shop and purchased 2 pipe couplings which are now permanently attached to the "T".  I also purchased 2 pieces of pipe that are each 18 inches long which I can screw into the previously mentioned couplings.  This gives considerably more leverage than the original configuration.

          href="mailto:Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com">Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2006
            Hi,

            I'm looking for Pirates Cove Marina - Hingham, MA.  I've been looking at online charts - very poor quality charts, telephone book and various locations trying to find it.  Any idea where it is?

            Thanks,
            Jay
          • Dave Evans
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2006
              Jay,
              Onset Bay Marine? Where are you? We have an Onset town mooring.
              dge
              I had a similar setup that Onset Bay Marine installed for about $700 using a beckson cap.  Unfortunately, inside the cap was never a 100% dry and the cap was always in the way - tripping over it.

              As a result, I had a carpenter install 1" teak decking in the helm area.  The took 2 - 12" by 1"  wide pieces of teak and glued them together.  Then shaped it to match the helm area.  Later I mounted a stainless cap on the 1" piece of teak resulting in a water tight and flat surface.

              Jay

              That is neat! On the 34 Mk II, the opening is in the helm seat, but with the same problems that have been discussed. But wouldn't want a bump! I do know that using deck plates with the finger recesses, you get a surprise when you sit down after it rains.
              dge
              > I used some rope caulk from Ace Hardware to replace the grey stuff that
              > was leaking. Probably because I'd opened it up to see how it works! The
              > idea of smashing through the plate in an emergency is plausable but just
              > what you'd need in a real emergency (not).
              >
              > I've considered replacing it with a small spin-off deck plate.
              >
              > dge
            • Dave Evans
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2006
                Sure it's not Hewitt's Cove Marina? They might be pirates, indeed, but then I feel that way about most boatyards.
                dge

                Message 7 of 16 , May 1, 2006
                  any chance of you snapping some photos of the mods and the "updated" tiller in action?

                  Enquiring minds want to know...  :>)

                  Eric wrote: Dave:

                  Yes, I can imagine that might be a bit uncomfortable.  I was a little
                  worried about having a bump on the cockpit floor but it hasn't been a
                  problem.  When sailing I'm always off to one side or the other.  When
                  motoring, I often sit.  The deck plate looks better than the old piece
                  of plastic and I could probably still bust it open if I had to in an
                  emergency.  I've tried the emergency tiller and I can't imagine it
                  would be useful in anything other than dead calm conditions.  I guess
                  adrenalin might help some but . . .

                  Eric
                  Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                  West River, MD

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Evans" <dave@...> wrote:

                  > Eric,
                  > That is neat! On the 34 Mk II, the opening is in the helm seat, but
                  with the same problems that have been discussed. But wouldn't want a
                  bump! I do know that using deck plates with the finger recesses, you
                  get a surprise when you sit down after it rains.
                  > dge

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 1, 2006
                    Jay

                    doing a internet search comes up zip.
                    but a Hewitt's Cove Marina is in Hingham.

                    Years ago, I used to bounce around Hingham boat shops getting parts, but that name is drawing a blank.

                    Closest Pirates Cove Marina I could find was Rhode Island.
                    Might want to recheck the name or locale.

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2006
                      John,

                      I don't have any photos of the emerg tiller and most likely won't get to the boat for a few days, but attached is a sketch of  the beast. Hope this helps.

                      Dick

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2006
                        Dick

                        Thanks.  No need for pictures with such a fine diagram.

                           That is a much simplier solution than I was thinking of doing which was a set of connections that went over the top of the tiller (rube goldberg style).

                        Regards

                          john

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2006
                          Hi dge,

                          I'm in Waquoit harbor in Mashpee, MA. (next to Falmouth)

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2, 2006
                            Hi Dave,

                            No, its Private Cove in Hingham, MA.  I just called them on the telephone and they are in the area of 42.15.00 & 70.53.00 southwest of button island.  I could not find them on my paper charts so I used Google Earth and was able to locate them.  See picture below.

                            Thanks,
                            Jay

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 2, 2006
                              John,

                              I must admit that it is not a very elegant solution, but it does add some much needed leverage.  I still would not want to have to steer with it for hours on end in a heavy sea.

                              Dick

                              Eric wrote: Dave:

                              Yes, I can imagine that might be a bit uncomfortable.  I was a little
                              worried about having a bump on the cockpit floor but it hasn't been a
                              problem.  When sailing I'm always off to one side or the other.  When
                              motoring, I often sit.  The deck plate looks better than the old piece
                              of plastic and I could probably still bust it open if I had to in an
                              emergency.  I've tried the emergency tiller and I can't imagine it
                              would be useful in anything other than dead calm conditions.  I guess
                              adrenalin might help some but . . .

                              Eric
                              Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                              West River, MD

                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Evans" <dave@...> wrote:

                              > Eric,
                              > That is neat! On the 34 Mk II, the opening is in the helm seat, but
                              with the same problems that have been discussed. But wouldn't want a
                              bump! I do know that using deck plates with the finger recesses, you
                              get a surprise when you sit down after it rains.
                              > dge

                            • Dave Evans
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 2, 2006
                                Jay,
                                Know it well, with the skull-and-bones/parrot implication removed. We launched out first "real" sailboat, Blue Parrot, a Ranger 23, there and kept her on a mooring for a couple of weekends until sailing her down to Onset. Hell of a path into the harbor; we started to turn between a couple of small islands and had people from every direction (all familiar with this happening) yelling and hooting for us not to go that way! At the bottom of your view is Kehoe's Marine, on of the few (if it's still there) private stores left.
                                Waquoit is one of the harbors I'd like to visit. The keel/centerboard on Hickory Wind might even help! Do you know Chris Dunn? He had a Freedom 21 and now a Freedom 36. Got to know him, mostly via email, when we had a Freedom 28, Jabberwocky. Always missed meeting up with him except on land at his brother, JP's, house.
                                What's you interest up our way ("our" in this context being that we live in Boston)?
                                dge

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 2, 2006
                                  Hi Dave,

                                  The freedoms are most likely on the Falmouth side.  We have very few sailboats on the Mashpee side of Waquoit.

                                  Boston:  I store the boat at the Old Colony Yacht Club for the winter.  Typically, the yearly updating is done in the area.  This past winter the boat was repainted at Custom Fiberglass.  BTW:  great place!  They we on-time, on-budget and always returned my telephone calls.  Just a great place to do business with.