Emergency Tiller Access Plate - S34 MkI

  • Greg Allen
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 2:34 AM
      Any suggestions for waterproofing the plate over the emergency
      tiller. It was very damp when I removed it and explains where some
      water has been getting into the bilge.

      Should there be a gasket or just caulked with a screw driver handy to
      pop it open in a moment of need?

      Greg Allen
      gregallen1@...
      781-639-4688
    • Carter Brey
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 3:43 AM
        Greg,

        I'm just about to replace mine and was wondering the same thing. It's
        not the greatest design, is it? Mine had broken at the edges from
        pressure stress at the fasteners as well as the kicking and scraping of
        innumerable boat shoes. On my new one, I'm using finishing washers to
        spread the load a bit, rather than chamfering the screw holes.

        I'm thinking that the simplest solution might be to spread a thin layer
        of silicone on the bottom of the plate as well as in the screw holes.
        Adhesion is not an issue, just sealing against water intrusion. In the
        rare and unlikely event that you need to pop it open, you could just
        re-seal it the same way after scraping off the old silicone.

        I was also considering some sort of thin rubber gasket, but I'm not sure
        such a thing would make as good a seal, considering the molded-in
        nonskid surrounding the hole.

        As someone else on the list has pointed out, it's a darkly funny fact
        that any situation requiring use of the emergency tiller would most
        likely be one in which fumbling for and with a screwdriver would not be
        the helmsman's first priority. Some kind of tool-less release mechanism
        would be a welcome improvement.

        Best regards,
        Carter Brey
        s/v Delphine
        1982 S28 II #532
        City Island, NY

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 4:36 AM
          Get a chuck of waterproof putty in the electrical section of any decent hardware store. Even Home Depot has it.  It is a dark grey play-doo stuff that does not glue things together.  Roll a thick string of it, outline the bottom of the lazerette to make a gasket, plop the cover back on and tighten.

          The stuff never hardens, never sticks, and will be the least of your worries should you need to get that tiller in there fast..

          Cost is ~ $2

          john

          Greg Allen wrote:

          >Any suggestions for waterproofing the plate over the emergency
          >tiller.  It was very damp when I removed it and explains where some
          >water has been getting into the bilge.
          >
          >Should there be a gasket or just caulked with a screw driver handy to
          >pop it open in a moment of need?
          >

          >Greg Allen
          >gregallen1@...
          >781-639-4688

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • peter van beckum
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 4:43 AM
            new guy here.

            my understanding was that in an emergency one just smashes the tiller through the plate.  the need to be smashable may be why the plastic is chipping on yours.

            i can't imagine steering for long with the poor leverage of my s30 emergency tiller though.

            i think that grey putty is part of what sabre seals the deck to the hull with.  i keep finding bits of it in that area of my boat.

            Greg Allen wrote:

            >Any suggestions for waterproofing the plate over the emergency
            >tiller.  It was very damp when I removed it and explains where some
            >water has been getting into the bilge.
            >
            >Should there be a gasket or just caulked with a screw driver handy to
            >pop it open in a moment of need?
            >

            >Greg Allen
            >gregallen1@...
            >781-639-4688

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Jeff Weingarten
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1 5:10 AM
              I went up my mast and another at the club yesterday.  My friend purchased a $35 winch attachment that runs on a drill.  He was using a heavy duty Milwaukee drill I weigh 175lb and was up both masts quick as can be.  I will post the info on the "winch drill bit" as soon as I get it.

              Cheers,
              Jeff

              Message 6 of 15 , May 1 5:26 AM
                When I go up I use the un used halyards to help pull myself up the mast.
                I also use my legs. Kind of like climbing it as if there were no
                winches. This makes the job a lot easier on deck.

                David

                Jeff Weingarten wrote:
                > I went up my mast and another at the club yesterday. My friend
                > purchased a $35 winch attachment that runs on a drill. He was using a
                > heavy duty Milwaukee drill I weigh 175lb and was up both masts quick as
                > can be. I will post the info on the "winch drill bit" as soon as I get it.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Jeff

                David
                Atlantea, Sabre 38 MKII
              • Barry Wilson
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1 5:55 AM
                  I race on a boat where I am the lightest in the group and thus the likely suspect for mast climbing.  I have found that David is right.  When I go up, I do most of the climbing by simply shinniying sp? up the mast.  Some assistance from spreader mounts help.  We also tie the second halyard around my chest under the arms in case the first halyard or chair fails.  I would never go up without a backup halyard on me.

                  Barry

                  Jeff Weingarten wrote:
                  > I went up my mast and another at the club yesterday.  My friend
                  > purchased a $35 winch attachment that runs on a drill.  He was using a
                  > heavy duty Milwaukee drill I weigh 175lb and was up both masts quick as
                  > can be.  I will post the info on the "winch drill bit" as soon as I get it.

                  > Cheers,
                  > Jeff

                  David
                  Atlantea, Sabre 38 MKII

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1 6:25 AM
                    Carter:

                    I think the reason the original cover was made of cheap plastic was so
                    that in an emergency, you could just bash it with the end of the
                    emergency tiller. At least that's what I was told.

                    Eric
                    Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                    West River, MD

                  • dave@sailonset.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1 6:47 AM
                      All,
                      Full agreement with the problem(s)!

                      I used some rope caulk from Ace Hardware to replace the grey stuff that
                      was leaking. Probably because I'd opened it up to see how it works! The
                      idea of smashing through the plate in an emergency is plausable but just
                      what you'd need in a real emergency (not).

                      I've considered replacing it with a small spin-off deck plate.

                      dge

                      > Carter:
                      >
                      > I think the reason the original cover was made of cheap plastic was so
                      > that in an emergency, you could just bash it with the end of the
                      > emergency tiller. At least that's what I was told.
                      >
                      > Eric
                      > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                      > West River, MD
                      >
                      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Greg,
                      > >
                      > > I'm just about to replace mine and was wondering the same thing. It's
                      > > not the greatest design, is it? Mine had broken at the edges from
                      > > pressure stress at the fasteners as well as the kicking and scraping of
                      > > innumerable boat shoes. On my new one, I'm using finishing washers to
                      > > spread the load a bit, rather than chamfering the screw holes.
                      > >
                      > > I'm thinking that the simplest solution might be to spread a thin layer
                      > > of silicone on the bottom of the plate as well as in the screw holes.
                      > > Adhesion is not an issue, just sealing against water intrusion. In the
                      > > rare and unlikely event that you need to pop it open, you could just
                      > > re-seal it the same way after scraping off the old silicone.
                      > >
                      > > I was also considering some sort of thin rubber gasket, but I'm not
                      > sure
                      > > such a thing would make as good a seal, considering the molded-in
                      > > nonskid surrounding the hole.
                      > >
                      > > As someone else on the list has pointed out, it's a darkly funny fact
                      > > that any situation requiring use of the emergency tiller would most
                      > > likely be one in which fumbling for and with a screwdriver would not be
                      > > the helmsman's first priority. Some kind of tool-less release mechanism
                      > > would be a welcome improvement.
                      > >
                      > > Best regards,
                      > > Carter Brey
                      > > s/v Delphine
                      > > 1982 S28 II #532
                      > > City Island, NY

                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1 10:29 AM
                        Dave:

                        You could do something like this:
                        http://spirit.the-millers.org/EmergencyTiller1.jpg

                        Eric
                        Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                        West River, MD

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, dave@... wrote:

                        > All,
                        > Full agreement with the problem(s)!
                        >
                        > I used some rope caulk from Ace Hardware to replace the grey stuff that
                        > was leaking. Probably because I'd opened it up to see how it works! The
                        > idea of smashing through the plate in an emergency is plausable but just
                        > what you'd need in a real emergency (not).
                        >
                        > I've considered replacing it with a small spin-off deck plate.
                        >
                        > dge
                        >
                        > > Carter:
                        > >
                        > > I think the reason the original cover was made of cheap plastic
                        was so
                        > > that in an emergency, you could just bash it with the end of the
                        > > emergency tiller. At least that's what I was told.
                        > >
                        > > Eric
                        > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                        > > West River, MD
                        > >
                        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Greg,
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm just about to replace mine and was wondering the same
                        thing. It's
                        > > > not the greatest design, is it? Mine had broken at the edges from
                        > > > pressure stress at the fasteners as well as the kicking and
                        scraping of
                        > > > innumerable boat shoes. On my new one, I'm using finishing
                        washers to
                        > > > spread the load a bit, rather than chamfering the screw holes.
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm thinking that the simplest solution might be to spread a
                        thin layer
                        > > > of silicone on the bottom of the plate as well as in the screw
                        holes.
                        > > > Adhesion is not an issue, just sealing against water intrusion.
                        In the
                        > > > rare and unlikely event that you need to pop it open, you could
                        just
                        > > > re-seal it the same way after scraping off the old silicone.
                        > > >
                        > > > I was also considering some sort of thin rubber gasket, but I'm not
                        > > sure
                        > > > such a thing would make as good a seal, considering the molded-in
                        > > > nonskid surrounding the hole.
                        > > >
                        > > > As someone else on the list has pointed out, it's a darkly
                        funny fact
                        > > > that any situation requiring use of the emergency tiller would most
                        > > > likely be one in which fumbling for and with a screwdriver
                        would not be
                        > > > the helmsman's first priority. Some kind of tool-less release
                        mechanism
                        > > > would be a welcome improvement.
                        > > >
                        > > > Best regards,
                        > > > Carter Brey
                        > > > s/v Delphine
                        > > > 1982 S28 II #532
                        > > > City Island, NY

                      • Greg Allen
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1 11:09 AM
                          That is pretty easy to look at .. Thanks

                          Greg Allen
                          gregallen1@...
                          781-639-4688
                        • R. Coerse
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1 2:43 PM
                            On my S34 MK I, the cover is 3/16"  square stainless steel held down by 2 phillips screws.....Probably done by PO.