Re: ladder rungs

  • josrulz_2001
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2011
      I recently exchanged emails with White Water Marine about those exact steps for our S34-I. I just sent him the sizing specs, but have not heard back yet on pricing.
      -Jim

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

      > I got a set a few years ago from (yup) Tops in Quality. Perhaps the company mentioned previously as a sort of successor can help. One less place to varnish!
      > dge, 34-II
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Apr 30, 2011, at 3:04 PM, "Mike Merriman" <mike.merriman1@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Anyone have a source for composite ladder rungs/steps??
      > >

      > > Mike Merriman

    • walkabout193
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2011
        Mike

        Try Barbour Plastics. It appears they were the supplier to Tops in Quality where I purchased mine a few years back. Here's the link: http://www.barbourcorp.com/marine-prod-sprayrails.htm

        Len Bertaux
        Walkabout S38 MKII

        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2011
          When I bought my 34, I found the "marine grade pot metal" on my cockpit drains was all gone. I thought about going to Home Depot and buying "home grade pot metal" (looked the same!), but decided that I was going marine grade. I bought these:
          http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=111483&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10111&subdeptNum=10636&classNum=10638

          I hate them. With a passion. Dust can clog them, and even when they are clear, they drain so slow I wonder if my seacocks are open. They are truly worthless. Stay MILES away from them. They may be marine grade, but some day they are coming out, and the original ones are going back in, complete with some repair parts from the Home Depot plumbing isle. Pot metal was good enough for the Perko name, good enough for Sabre to install, and good enough to last 30 years. The new pot metal will last till 203x, which is probably long enough!

          Harry
          Rantum Scoot
          '79 S34-I #063
          Mill Creek, Annapolis

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, brucep2100@... wrote:

          > Thanks to everyones help I am set to go to replace the CB cable tho that
          > will have to wait until night before launch when the yard will put boat in
          > slings and hoist it so the cb can be lowered.
          >
          > But discovered while crawling around in the aft locker that the hose for
          > one of the cockpit drains was adrift. Apparently the non-stainless collar
          > had just corroded and disintegrated. The collar held a tube on which the
          > hose was attached, so now the hose isn't attached to the scupper. Has anyone
          > had this problem Fixed this problem? Spoke to Glen who thought the
          > fitting was from Perko but no longer available. Tried a 1 1/2" nylon connector
          > which appeared to be the right size but couldn't get it to screw on - maybe
          > different threads? Would greatly appreciate your experience, thoughts,
          > ... (thought about unscrewing the other scupper collar but it's so corroded
          > looks like it might crumble and I'd like to have one of the drains still
          > working until can figure a fix the the already broken one.)
          >
          > Thanks,Bruce
          > Swallow, 1982 Sabre 34.
          >

          > In a message dated 4/29/2011 10:04:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > mookiesurfs@... writes:
          >

          > The photos came through, Sid. I would pull the rudder and ensure that the
          > rudder shell and shaft were in line with each other. If they are, it
          > looks like an alignment issue that could be corrected by rebedding (remounting)
          > the bushings (bearings). That's not a huge job as long you can remove
          > them in one piece. If the issue is the bearings and not the rudder, you may
          > have the option to sail it as is and worry about it later. You may lose a
          > fraction of a knot, and you may or may not get some vibration or pull.
          > Bill B
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM, dleedvm <_leex3103@..._
          > (mailto:leex3103@...) > wrote:
          >

          > Sid,
          > I think our rudders were made at about the same time. Mine fits better at
          > the top but I would say that it curves ever so slightly to the right
          > leading me to believe the rudder post wasn't quite centered in the mold. It's
          > almost imperceptible, and a big improvement over the old bent one, so I'm more
          > or less satisfied. I don't know how Sabre can adjust that though.
          > David
          >

          > --- In _Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com_ (
          > mailto:Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com) , "Sid" <xawdisney@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I picked up my replacement rudder from Sabre and had it installed, but
          > it doesn't appear to be properly centered. I am posting pics:
          > >
          > > I have also sent the pics to Glen for his comments. Any idea if this
          > will cause me any problems or what can be done to fix it? The yard tells me
          > that the bushing is intact, and they did nothing to change that. Glen did say
          > that he exppected that some modification would be expected, but this seems
          > extreme.
          > >
          > > Sid

        • josrulz_2001
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2011
            Thanks for the heads up, Harry. I'm hoping ours will be OK, but it's good to be prepared. When those hoses come up, you never know what you'll find!
            -Jim

            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2011
              Harry -
              These are nice, but pricey,
              Pete

              On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:36 AM, sailor11767 <sailor11767@...> wrote:

> [...]

              > the top but I would say that it curves ever so slightly to the right
              > leading me to believe the rudder post wasn't quite centered in the mold. It's
              > almost imperceptible, and a big improvement over the old bent one, so I'm more
              > or less satisfied. I don't know how Sabre can adjust that though.
              > David
              >

              > --- In _Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com_ (

              > mailto:Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com) , "Sid" <xawdisney@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I picked up my replacement rudder from Sabre and had it installed, but
              > it doesn't appear to be properly centered. I am posting pics:
              > >
              > > I have also sent the pics to Glen for his comments. Any idea if this
              > will cause me any problems or what can be done to fix it? The yard tells me
              > that the bushing is intact, and they did nothing to change that. Glen did say
              > that he exppected that some modification would be expected, but this seems

            • Mike Merriman
              Message 6 of 13 , May 7, 2011

                I replaced the ladder rungs on finesse today with black plastic rungs from barbour.   Anyone need the old wooden rungs?  Not in great shape, but with some elbow grease who knows.

                Mike Merriman

                mike.merriman1@...

                508 523 7724

                978 561 1059 fax