Big genny leads go where?

  • workshoe99
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006
      All,

      I sailed with my 140 genoa for the first time yesterday as part of my
      evaluation for new sails and what to buy. On our S38 Mark I I found
      the inside track with the car all the way back, too short for proper
      sheeting the 140. Secondly, I can't see many clear lead options if one
      takes the sheets out to the outboard track when you see the stantions,
      gate and gate braces that appear to hinder a fair lead. Therefore, I
      am leaning toward a new 130 thinking a 135 might also be too big for
      the track. What is everyone else using and what about getting a fair
      lead from the outside track?

      Jan
    • Barry Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2006
        Jan,
        I have an S28 with a 160.  I sheet it to the outside rail because there is nowhere else to lead it to.  I would love to sheet it inboard. But new leads for old sails aren't going to solve the primary problem and with one in college and two at the doorstep that will have to wait.

        One note in the Sabre manual is that if you have the slides within 1 foot of the winch fore and aft, the lead should be taken back to the turning block near the aft of the cockpit outside the coaming.  If this is not done, the strain from the sideways pull on the lead may cause leaking in the deck to hull joint.  The S30 may have adjusted for this.  With the lead back near the winch the load is pulling perpendicular to the toe rail.  I would think that 2 blocks on the rail could approximate the turning block arrangement that the S28 has.  For that matter, there may be a flat on the outside of the cockpit that would accomodate mounting a turning block.  I can send pictures if you would like.

        From a different perspective, I race on a Catalina 27 where the 155 is sheeted inboard to the top of the cockpit.  This requires a separate track from what we use for the heavy number 1, which sheets to the deck alongside the cabintop.  Compared to other Catlinas we race with, this has always given us a slight pointing advantage.

        Regards,

        Barry

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          Jan -
          Our 30 Mk III is a similar design and our primary jib is a 135.  We have plenty of inboard track for both it and the 150 we never use.  I just looked at the Sabre brochures online and saw the issue.  (see attchrd) On our boat the inboard tracks come aft to the midpoint of the cockpit, on the 38 II and 34 II in the brochure photos, it looks like they only come back to the forward end of the cockpit - bummer.  Maybe Dave F., Atlantea, has some suggestions for the 38 II.
          Pete

          On 5/1/06, Barry Wilson <bwilson506@...
          > wrote:
          Jan,
          I have an S28 with a 160.  I sheet it to the outside rail because there is nowhere else to lead it to.  I would love to sheet it inboard. But new leads for old sails aren't going to solve the primary problem and with one in college and two at the doorstep that will have to wait.

          One note in the Sabre manual is that if you have the slides within 1 foot of the winch fore and aft, the lead should be taken back to the turning block near the aft of the cockpit outside the coaming.  If this is not done, the strain from the sideways pull on the lead may cause leaking in the deck to hull joint.  The S30 may have adjusted for this.  With the lead back near the winch the load is pulling perpendicular to the toe rail.  I would think that 2 blocks on the rail could approximate the turning block arrangement that the S28 has.  For that matter, there may be a flat on the outside of the cockpit that would accomodate mounting a turning block.  I can send pictures if you would like.

          From a different perspective, I race on a Catalina 27 where the 155 is sheeted inboard to the top of the cockpit.  This requires a separate track from what we use for the heavy number 1, which sheets to the deck alongside the cabintop.  Compared to other Catlinas we race with, this has always given us a slight pointing advantage.

          Regards,

          Barry

          workshoe99 <workshoe99@...> wrote:
          All,

          I sailed with my 140 genoa for the first time yesterday as part of my
          evaluation for new sails and what to buy. On our S38 Mark I I found
          the inside track with the car all the way back, too short for proper
          sheeting the 140. Secondly, I can't see many clear lead options if one
          takes the sheets out to the outboard track when you see the stantions,
          gate and gate braces that appear to hinder a fair lead. Therefore, I
          am leaning toward a new 130 thinking a 135 might also be too big for
          the track. What is everyone else using and what about getting a fair
          lead from the outside track?

          Jan

          Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

          Boating sailing Sailing Sabre
          Boating

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS