Re: [SabreSailboat] Removing head foot pump-- WasSeacocks and hoses -- size issue

  • Carter Brey
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
      Dave,

      I've removed the head foot pump, a Whale double-action diaphragm pump, twice, for rebuilding. I'll bet our setups are not that different. I have a 1982 28 series II.

      My pump is fastened to an aluminum plate, which in turn is fastened to a glassed-in wooden platform with two hex-head lag screws. There's no room for a socket in there. The trick is getting an open-ended wrench onto the lag screws, because you're almost working blind. But it can be done. I found that a dental-type mirror helped in locating the exact placement of the wrench.

      Carter

      On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

      Harry,

      The sink hose is firmly attached to the head sink drain on my 30-I. The other end lies next to the seacock as it doesn't want to fit, either. It's been there a couple of seasons, maybe more. Not a big issue, because the water pump for the head doesn't work either. No need for a drain hose if there is nothing to drain, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

      In reality it is a project that I spend an hour or so on each spring when I don't meet with immediate success, I move on.

      If anyone knows how to remove the foot pump in the head of a 30, I'd love to hear how you did it.

      Dave

    • David Evans
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
        Glad to know these pumps are all inaccessable! On our 34-II there were
        nuts and (slot) bolts, but still nearly unreachable. Once out, I put
        T-nuts beneath and Phillips machine screws on top.
        dge

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
          Carter,

          You were lucky. Sabre used slotted screws on my boat. So far I've tried various sized and shaped screwdrivers, including those little racheting ones. On the 30 you can access the pump sort of from above if you cut a hole in the settee top. However the angles are such that none of the screwdrivers I had could reach the screw at an angle that would actually let me get the screw out. When that sucker comes out, it won't go back in with slotted screws.

          On a related note, the galley foot pump is set up the same way, however the new whale pumps have a slightly different footprint. New mounting holes need to be drilled and tapped.

          Dave

          On Mar 30, 2011, at 3:22 PM, David Evans wrote:

          Glad to know these pumps are all inaccessable! On our 34-II there were
          nuts and (slot) bolts, but still nearly unreachable. Once out, I put
          T-nuts beneath and Phillips machine screws on top.
          dge

          > Dave,
          >
          > I've removed the head foot pump, a Whale double-action diaphragm pump,
          > twice, for rebuilding. I'll bet our setups are not that different. I have
          > 1982 28 series II.
          >
          > My pump is fastened to an aluminum plate, which in turn is fastened to a
          > glassed-in wooden platform with two hex-head lag screws. There's no room
          > for
          > a socket in there. The trick is getting an open-ended wrench onto the lag
          > screws, because you're almost working blind. But it can be done. I found
          > that a dental-type mirror helped in locating the exact placement of the
          > wrench.
          >
          > Carter
          >
          > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          >> Harry,
          >>
          >> The sink hose is firmly attached to the head sink drain on my 30-I. The
          >> other end lies next to the seacock as it doesn't want to fit, either.
          >> It's
          >> been there a couple of seasons, maybe more. Not a big issue, because the
          >> water pump for the head doesn't work either. No need for a drain hose if
          >> there is nothing to drain, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
          >>
          >> In reality it is a project that I spend an hour or so on each spring
          >> when I
          >> don't meet with immediate success, I move on.
          >>
          >> If anyone knows how to remove the foot pump in the head of a 30, I'd
          >> love
          >> to hear how you did it.
          >>
          >> Dave

        • vanbeckump
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
            Try these puppies!

            http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00983104000P?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=G19

            Invaluable when I torqued the hull/deck joint. They reach into otherwise inaccessible places and then ratchet.

            Peter

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            >
            > I've removed the head foot pump, a Whale double-action diaphragm pump,
            > twice, for rebuilding. I'll bet our setups are not that different. I have a
            > 1982 28 series II.
            >
            > My pump is fastened to an aluminum plate, which in turn is fastened to a
            > glassed-in wooden platform with two hex-head lag screws. There's no room for
            > a socket in there. The trick is getting an open-ended wrench onto the lag
            > screws, because you're almost working blind. But it can be done. I found
            > that a dental-type mirror helped in locating the exact placement of the
            > wrench.
            >
            > Carter
            >
            > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Harry,
            > >
            > > The sink hose is firmly attached to the head sink drain on my 30-I. The
            > > other end lies next to the seacock as it doesn't want to fit, either. It's
            > > been there a couple of seasons, maybe more. Not a big issue, because the
            > > water pump for the head doesn't work either. No need for a drain hose if
            > > there is nothing to drain, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
            > >
            > > In reality it is a project that I spend an hour or so on each spring when I
            > > don't meet with immediate success, I move on.
            > >
            > > If anyone knows how to remove the foot pump in the head of a 30, I'd love
            > > to hear how you did it.
            > >
            > > Dave

          • Carter Brey
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
              Peter,

              Cool! I have some small ratcheting wrenches in 10, 11, 12 and 13 mm, but I've never seen the flexing heads before.

              I see a couple of these in my future when I install new mooring cleats aft of the anchor well.

              Thanks,
              Carter

              On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:44 AM, vanbeckump <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

              Try these puppies!

              http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00983104000P?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=G19

              Invaluable when I torqued the hull/deck joint. They reach into otherwise inaccessible places and then ratchet.

              Peter

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              >
              > I've removed the head foot pump, a Whale double-action diaphragm pump,
              > twice, for rebuilding. I'll bet our setups are not that different. I have a
              > 1982 28 series II.
              >
              > My pump is fastened to an aluminum plate, which in turn is fastened to a
              > glassed-in wooden platform with two hex-head lag screws. There's no room for
              > a socket in there. The trick is getting an open-ended wrench onto the lag
              > screws, because you're almost working blind. But it can be done. I found
              > that a dental-type mirror helped in locating the exact placement of the
              > wrench.
              >
              > Carter
              >
              > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Harry,
              > >
              > > The sink hose is firmly attached to the head sink drain on my 30-I. The
              > > other end lies next to the seacock as it doesn't want to fit, either. It's
              > > been there a couple of seasons, maybe more. Not a big issue, because the
              > > water pump for the head doesn't work either. No need for a drain hose if
              > > there is nothing to drain, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
              > >
              > > In reality it is a project that I spend an hour or so on each spring when I
              > > don't meet with immediate success, I move on.
              > >
              > > If anyone knows how to remove the foot pump in the head of a 30, I'd love
              > > to hear how you did it.
              > >
              > > Dave

            • R Coerse
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
                Y'all think Sabre might just be a silent partner in the specialty tool business? *LOL*

                Dick Coerse
                "Early Light"
                1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
                Solomons, MD

                On 3/31/2011 9:53 AM, Carter Brey wrote:

                Peter,

                Cool! I have some small ratcheting wrenches in 10, 11, 12 and 13 mm, but I've never seen the flexing heads before.

                I see a couple of these in my future when I install new mooring cleats aft of the anchor well.

                Thanks,
                Carter

                On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:44 AM, vanbeckump <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                Try these puppies!

                http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00983104000P?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=G19

                Invaluable when I torqued the hull/deck joint. They reach into otherwise inaccessible places and then ratchet.

                Peter

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > I've removed the head foot pump, a Whale double-action diaphragm pump,
                > twice, for rebuilding. I'll bet our setups are not that different. I have a
                > 1982 28 series II.
                >
                > My pump is fastened to an aluminum plate, which in turn is fastened to a
                > glassed-in wooden platform with two hex-head lag screws. There's no room for
                > a socket in there. The trick is getting an open-ended wrench onto the lag
                > screws, because you're almost working blind. But it can be done. I found
                > that a dental-type mirror helped in locating the exact placement of the
                > wrench.
                >
                > Carter
                >
                > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Harry,
                > >
                > > The sink hose is firmly attached to the head sink drain on my 30-I. The
                > > other end lies next to the seacock as it doesn't want to fit, either. It's
                > > been there a couple of seasons, maybe more. Not a big issue, because the
                > > water pump for the head doesn't work either. No need for a drain hose if
                > > there is nothing to drain, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
                > >
                > > In reality it is a project that I spend an hour or so on each spring when I
                > > don't meet with immediate success, I move on.
                > >
                > > If anyone knows how to remove the foot pump in the head of a 30, I'd love
                > > to hear how you did it.
                > >
                > > Dave

              • vanbeckump
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
                  Actually, the wrenches that I have are a short handled version of the set shown in the link. Sears sells them as single wrenches too.

                • Carter Brey
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011
                    That's a very dark thought, Dick. Very dark.

                    On Mar 31, 2011, at 10:54 AM, R Coerse <rcoerse@...> wrote:

                    Y'all think Sabre might just be a silent partner in the specialty tool business? *LOL*

                    <74.gif>

                    �