Propeller shaft removal

  • rayjanine2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1 2:57 PM
      Anyone remove their propeller shaft on a Sabre 362? Were you able to drop the rudder a little so that the shaft clears it or did you completely have to remove the rudder? I understand only two bolts hold the rudder. Were those bolts difficult to remove?

      My propeller shaft coupling is severly corroded and I need to install new engine mounts and a new PSS shaft seal. I have read ways of removing the coupling by drilling a series of holes at the keyway and then using a chisel break the coupling since it is a casting. I think the best way is to cut the shaft just foward of the PSS seal and put in a new shaft and coupling. This way the coupling will fit the shaft better than trying to put a new coupling on an old shaft. I am also putting in a new cutlass bearing so having the shaft out will help with that also. What are your opinions? Thanks,

      Ray
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1 3:59 PM
        Ray,

        I'd suggest that you try to use a nondestructive way of removing all these parts, especially the key. When I replaced the shaft on my 30, the key that came with the shaft didn't fit, the old one did.

        Dave

[...]

      • Daniel Trainor
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1 4:19 PM
          Yeah just take it apart.  No need to get out the saw.

          --
          Dan

        • Daniel Trainor

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1 5:26 PM
                I removed the shaft from my Sabre 28 last year, and the difficult part was separating the shaft from the coupler.  I was successful, and used the same coupler which I cleaned up and painted. It now looks great.

                Procedure I used.
                1.  remove 4 bolts that attach the coupler to the transmission
                2.  apply PB Blaster (available at Home Depot) to the coupler and shaft from both ends.
                3.  Let the PB Blaster penetrate for about a week and reapply each day.
                4.  I then tied a rope from the prop to a nearby tree (this held the coupler about 4 inches away from the transmission)
                5.  With the couple unable to make contact with the transmission I then proceeded to whack away at the coupler with a mini sledge hammer or beater.  As I wacked away at it I continuously rotated the shaft.
                6.  I did not count the number of blows that were required but it was quite a few.  After ten minutes I was tired and gave up, sprayed more PB Blaster, and tried again a couple hours later.  The third time I attempted to beat the coupler off it started to move a fraction of a millimeter at a time, but once it started to move it was off in no time, and I was relieved to not cut the shaft or try to split the coupler.

                Hope this helps
                John

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1 5:58 PM
                    I can't help much on the "take apart" issue -- mine won't stay together! On delivery home after purchase, I almost lost my shaft! I've got it staying together, but I have problems.

                    Here's the scenario. I have a Volvo MD11C. My shaft is a sloppy fit in the coupling. To make matters worse, the key is a sloppy fit. The final insult is that there is only one set screw, directly opposite the key, rather than the typical two screws. And then, just to spice it up, I have to shift the engine to get the coupling off -- there isn't enough room otherwise.

                    I intend to take it all apart next winter (11/12). At a minimum, I'll drill two new set screws 45 degrees off center, and put in a new key -- maybe even machine one if necessary. But -- and here is the real question -- can these be bought off the shelf somewhere?

                    I guess this counts as thread hijacking, but the original question got me thinking....

                    Harry

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "rayjanine2002" <rayjanine@...> wrote:

                    > Anyone remove their propeller shaft on a Sabre 362? Were you able to drop the rudder a little so that the shaft clears it or did you completely have to remove the rudder? I understand only two bolts hold the rudder. Were those bolts difficult to remove?
                    >
                    > My propeller shaft coupling is severly corroded and I need to install new engine mounts and a new PSS shaft seal. I have read ways of removing the coupling by drilling a series of holes at the keyway and then using a chisel break the coupling since it is a casting. I think the best way is to cut the shaft just foward of the PSS seal and put in a new shaft and coupling. This way the coupling will fit the shaft better than trying to put a new coupling on an old shaft. I am also putting in a new cutlass bearing so having the shaft out will help with that also. What are your opinions? Thanks,
                    >
                    > Ray

                  • Adam Gonzalez
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1 6:24 PM