South Shore Seawater Strainer over engine inlet

  • rayjanine2002
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
      Anyone install a strainer on the bottom of their boat at the engine inlet fitting so that eel grass does not get sucked into the internal sea water filter? I understand that Westerbeke does not recommend any scoop type fittings on the bottom of the boat since they may ram water up and thru the seawater pump impeller with the engine off and sailing. The type of stainer I am thinking about is a wedged shape strainer with many small holes and has a slide out screen so you can remove it to clean it.

      Thanks,

      Ray
    • Daniel Trainor
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
        Well above water line.  If hose connections develop leak or sea strainer glass breaks, creates a air lock, no water flow, boat does not sink.  Replace the Sea strainer.

        --
        Dan

      • rickkinder
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011

          Like Ray, we had eel grass completely plug the outside thru hull three times this past summer in Maine, completely stopping the flow of water. Each time, I put on a wet suit, dove, and unplugged the thru hull from the outside with one pull of the grass. Strainers are sold but not recommended. I will be interested in fellow Sabre owners responses, concerns and recommendations concerning outside strainers.

          Rick

          Sabre 402 Pradel

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
            Be prepared to replace impellers more often and possibly at a time which is not too "convenient"

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2011
                Ray,

                After several years of fighting with eel grass in Maine, I'm going in a different direction. This past season I completely removed the strainer at the bottom of the boat. This places the internal strainer as the only strainer. When there is a clog, I can get at it. This worked better than constantly fighting to clear the external strainer, but, the small diameter of the intake seacock and hose resulted in clogs at the seacock and at the elbow for the internal strainer. I talked to several sailboat owners at the marina that have larger diameter engine intakes with no external strainers, and they have no major eel grass issues. So, this winters project is a complete change of my set up. In my case I have 4 seacocks next to each other. Two of them are the larger 1-1/2" size for the head discharge and vanity sink drain. The two smaller ones are for head intake and engine intake. The plan (already underway) is to swap the sink-drain seacock with the engine intake. This is because I see no reason why the sink needs the larger seacock, but the engine does. I'm am running new larger diameter hose up to a much larger internal strainer and eliminating the 90 degree angle leading into the strainer. This has required a new route for the hose and moving the new strainer to under the companion way steps. But, if it works as planed, I should have less clogs, and not have to dive on the external strainer. The best part is, if it doesn't work out, I can always put it back to the way it was originally. I've only added one new hole for the route of the hose. (the hole is in a divider leading to engine, not in the hull) The rest of this arrangement is just hoses and connections that can be rearranged.
                Full disclosure: This idea was the brain child of the mechanic and boat yard manager working with me on solving this problem. If it succeeds, I'll take full credit, it it fails, I'll blame them.
                I'll report back in the summer on how this worked out...

                Scott

                Anyone install a strainer on the bottom of their boat at the engine inlet fitting so that eel grass does not get sucked into the internal sea water filter? I understand that Westerbeke does not recommend any scoop type fittings on the bottom of the boat since they may ram water up and thru the seawater pump impeller with the engine off and sailing. The type of stainer I am thinking about is a wedged shape strainer with many small holes and has a slide out screen so you can remove it to clean it.

                Thanks,

                Ray

              • david
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
                  I'm thinking about replacing mine as well.  Currently I have T777 and I found it clogged easily because of the small holes.  I'm now considering changing it to T764 which I'm hoping will not clog as easily.  The picture is from the Spartan marine catalog. I'd be interested to see if others have a similar setup.

                  ~Dave B.
                  S34 #369 Magic
                  Salem, MA

                  <>
                • Carter Brey

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
                        Dave, Pajama girl came with the 764 and I haven't had any issuses in the 3 seasons I've sailed her. Charlie

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "david" <dbousquet@...> wrote:

                        > I'm thinking about replacing mine as well. Currently I have T777 and I
                        > found it clogged easily because of the small holes. I'm now considering
                        > changing it to T764 which I'm hoping will not clog as easily. The
                        > picture is from the Spartan marine catalog. I'd be interested to see if
                        > others have a similar setup.
                        >
                        > ~Dave B.
                        > S34 #369 Magic
                        > Salem, MA
                        >

                        > <>

                      • Barry Dwyer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011

                          I’m impressed/amazed that you guys know the part number on your thru hulls.  I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

                          Barry

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
                            Actually, the 774 is what I have.  I enlarged the holes with a drill to compensate for the barrier coat and bottom paint and I haven't had any problems either with the traditional or the evolving Chesapeake life forms.
                            Pete

                            On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Barry Dwyer <bdwyer@...> wrote:

                            I’m impressed/amazed that you guys know the part number on your thru hulls.  I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

                            Barry

                            Dave, Pajama girl came with the 764 and I haven't had any issuses in the 3 seasons I've sailed her. Charlie

                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "david" <dbousquet@...> wrote:

                            > I'm thinking about replacing mine as well. Currently I have T777 and I
                            > found it clogged easily because of the small holes. I'm now considering
                            > changing it to T764 which I'm hoping will not clog as easily. The
                            > picture is from the Spartan marine catalog. I'd be interested to see if
                            > others have a similar setup.
                            >
                            > ~Dave B.
                            > S34 #369 Magic
                            > Salem, MA
                            >

                            > <>

                          • yaf001 yves
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011

                              Thank you Barry, I thought I was the only one on this amazing list!!!!
                              Yves

                              Barry Dwyer wrote:

                              I’m impressed/amazed that you guys know the part number on your thru hulls.  I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

                              Barry

                              Dave, Pajama girl came with the 764 and I haven't had any issuses in the 3 seasons I've sailed her. Charlie

                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "david" <dbousquet@...> wrote:

                              > I'm thinking about replacing mine as well. Currently I have T777 and I
                              > found it clogged easily because of the small holes. I'm now considering
                              > changing it to T764 which I'm hoping will not clog as easily. The
                              > picture is from the Spartan marine catalog. I'd be interested to see if
                              > others have a similar setup.
                              >
                              > ~Dave B.
                              > S34 #369 Magic
                              > Salem, MA
                              >

                              > <>

                            • David Evans
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
                                Our 34-II's is more like 764, although I think of it as flat with one
                                raised end. One year it did get clogged with tunicates, but they'll get
                                anything. I like to think of the Groco doing most of the straining work
                                and check it regularly.
                                dge

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
                                  Without the picture, I'd be lost.

                                  Dave

                                  On Feb 2, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Barry Dwyer wrote:

                                  I’m impressed/amazed that you guys know the part number on your thru hulls.  I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

                                  Barry

                                  Dave, Pajama girl came with the 764 and I haven't had any issuses in the 3 seasons I've sailed her. Charlie

                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "david" <dbousquet@...> wrote:

                                  > I'm thinking about replacing mine as well. Currently I have T777 and I
                                  > found it clogged easily because of the small holes. I'm now considering
                                  > changing it to T764 which I'm hoping will not clog as easily. The
                                  > picture is from the Spartan marine catalog. I'd be interested to see if
                                  > others have a similar setup.
                                  >
                                  > ~Dave B.
                                  > S34 #369 Magic
                                  > Salem, MA
                                  >

                                  > <>

                                • david
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 15, 2011
                                    Well I tried to remove the strainer covering my raw water intake and could not. It appears to be glassed in for some reason. I chipped away at what I thought was several layers of old bottom paint in an effort to get at it, but stopped when I realized it was epoxy.  Looking at the picture, it seems to me like you can see where some gelcoat is missing and appears to be ground out and then filled and fared. I'm not sure if this was done by Sabre or after purchase. I called the yard where the PO kept it and they have no record of any repairs. Needless to say, I can't easily replace it without removing more material which makes me nervous. It's not a big deal to me to leave things they way they are and repair the area but I'm curious as to why my boat is this way. Anyone have any thoughts?

                                    -- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "david" <dbousquet@...> wrote:

                                    > I'm thinking about replacing mine as well. Currently I have T777 and I
                                    > found it clogged easily because of the small holes. I'm now considering
                                    > changing it to T764 which I'm hoping will not clog as easily. The
                                    > picture is from the Spartan marine catalog. I'd be interested to see if
                                    > others have a similar setup.
                                    >
                                    > ~Dave B.
                                    > S34 #369 Magic
                                    > Salem, MA
                                    >

                                    > <>

                                  • Barry Dwyer
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 15, 2011

                                      Why do you think it is glassed in?  From the picture it just looks like it was fared in.  Is in imbedded in epoxy that I can’t see in the picture?

                                      Barry

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 15, 2011
                                        David,

                                        It looks as if the strainer stands a bit proud of the hull. If that is the case, the PO might have tried to fair it using epoxy or polyester resin. If you pull the strainer screen off, you might be able to see more clearly.

                                        There is a school of thought that scoop style water intakes should not be used because when the boat is moving forward under sail, the increased water pressure will damage the raw water pump. While that may be a factor at 20kts on a Volvo 70, I'm not sure its an issue with a Sabre at 6 kts. As I recall earlier posts, it seems that most of us have scoop style intakes. Perhaps a PO replaced the intake, thus necessitating the new fairing?

                                        I'd be tempted to take some sandpaper and remove more of the bottom paint. to see what's there. Sabre tended to use a polyester resin for fairing, not epoxy. Over time it will shrink and leave a slight crack around the fairing. If this happened, the PO might have refaired it.

                                        Dave

                                        On Mar 15, 2011, at 11:44 AM, david wrote:

                                        Well I tried to remove the strainer covering my raw water intake and could not. It appears to be glassed in for some reason. I chipped away at what I thought was several layers of old bottom paint in an effort to get at it, but stopped when I realized it was epoxy.  Looking at the picture, it seems to me like you can see where some gelcoat is missing and appears to be ground out and then filled and fared. I'm not sure if this was done by Sabre or after purchase. I called the yard where the PO kept it and they have no record of any repairs. Needless to say, I can't easily replace it without removing more material which makes me nervous. It's not a big deal to me to leave things they way they are and repair the area but I'm curious as to why my boat is this way. Anyone have any thoughts?

                                        -- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "david" <dbousquet@...> wrote:

                                        > I'm thinking about replacing mine as well. Currently I have T777 and I
                                        > found it clogged easily because of the small holes. I'm now considering
                                        > changing it to T764 which I'm hoping will not clog as easily. The
                                        > picture is from the Spartan marine catalog. I'd be interested to see if
                                        > others have a similar setup.
                                        >
                                        > ~Dave B.
                                        > S34 #369 Magic
                                        > Salem, MA
                                        >

                                        > <>

                                      • david
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 15, 2011
                                          Let me re-phrase - you're correct its not glassed in but looks like its imbedded in expoxy to make it flush with the hull surface, which i guess is the definition of faring. Not sure why they would do that on a cruising boat especially when it makes the strainer cover difficult to remove.