Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Winter is Great

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2011
      70s huh??

      Was 7 and I didn't want to calculate wind chill last night.
      I did a 3 hour loop yesterday to spend 40 minutes removing the snow off the boat cover prior to the next 12-15" due today.  A buddy is finding tears in his brand new canvas.  Part is the fact he owns a big modern boat with one of those wide sterns that holds a lot of snow, and the other is the canvas never had a chance to get wet and freeze up.

      The worst issue is the fact that the roads are completely blocked in the these old colonial towns with expanded horse paths for roads.

      We are expecting another 22-28" inches where I live.  But that is no biggie as the townies came through and pushed the current snowbanks back with a road grader.  The snowblower, generator and suv are full and ready to go, as are the snowshoes and cross country skis.  As much fun as we will have once this storm blows through, my Aruba vacation cannot get here fast enough.

      A third of us will be gettng a taste of this storm. You all hunker down and take it easy.  Isn't worth a heart attack.

      Now where did I put that coco butter suntan lotion and the Bob Marley cd?

      john

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2011
        It’s a little warmer here and we're only expecting 10-20" tomorrow on top of the 2-4 we're due to get today.

        Identity Crisis is snug in her Fairclough Cover. While my overcrowded unheated garage is strewn with snowblower parts as I try to get that sucker running before tomorrow.

        Good luck to all on the coast!

        Dave

        On Feb 1, 2011, at 7:23 AM, john kalinowski wrote:

        70s huh??

        Was 7 and I didn't want to calculate wind chill last night.
        I did a 3 hour loop yesterday to spend 40 minutes removing the snow off the boat cover prior to the next 12-15" due today.  A buddy is finding tears in his brand new canvas.  Part is the fact he owns a big modern boat with one of those wide sterns that holds a lot of snow, and the other is the canvas never had a chance to get wet and freeze up.

        The worst issue is the fact that the roads are completely blocked in the these old colonial towns with expanded horse paths for roads.

        We are expecting another 22-28" inches where I live.  But that is no biggie as the townies came through and pushed the current snowbanks back with a road grader.  The snowblower, generator and suv are full and ready to go, as are the snowshoes and cross country skis.  As much fun as we will have once this storm blows through, my Aruba vacation cannot get here fast enough.

        A third of us will be gettng a taste of this storm. You all hunker down and take it easy.  Isn't worth a heart attack.

        Now where did I put that coco butter suntan lotion and the Bob Marley cd?

        john

        Sorry to hear winter has remained like a lion back East. Here in San Diego it has been in the 70's. You can't beat the sailing here, a reliable 10-15 knots of breeze and gray whales off the coast. But I still long for my younger days when I cruised off of Newport, Block Island ,Cuttyhunk. the Vineyard and Nantucket.You can't beat the sailing on a good day back East in Southern New England or Penobscot Bay. We have many a good sailing day out here, but not as many beautiful historic places to sail to. So , if you are ever out here ,I would enjoy having a crew. Best wishes for the arrival of winter's end and the smell of activity in the boat yards. Best and warm regards, Barry, Sabre 28-524, San Diego.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Trainor <dptrainor@...> wrote:

        > Winter is Great because we appreciate sailing season so much more. Its all
        > new again, exciting!
        >
        > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Art <aacroxton@...> wrote:
        >

        > > 72 today(down right toasty) gentle 8-10 SE so I got out for 4 hour sail in
        > > North Fork St Lucie River. Only complaint is 145 genoa at sail loft for
        > > repairs so I had to poke along with small jib/main. Saw no snakes, felt no
        > > bugs and as for hurricanes, hell we'll start thinking earnestly about that
        > > August.
        > >
        > > Art Croxton
        > > S 30
        > > Stuart, FL
        > >

        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com <Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > Dave Lochner <davelochner@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > It may be, but you get hurricanes, big bugs, and snakes!
        > > >

        > > > On Jan 29, 2011, at 8:43 AM, jack horner wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Yeah Tampa 60 and you can sail in 60 and no shoveling !! Lee/ Tarpon
        > > springs/ Tampa bay !

      • Daniel Trainor

          --
          Dan

        • Neubsr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2011
            I have a little different take on this. I really do believe that Winter is Great. The last time I checked Seascape is doing just fine along the shore of Lake Ontario. She is well covered and gets a battery top off ever now and then. She thanks me each time I visit and does well by me every sailing season. Meanwhile I am catching up on all the things I did not get to because I spent so much time sailing on the great fresh waters of the Great Lakes. Cannot wait for the big dump coming tonight as I will be down at our local ski area first thing in the morning to cut some fresh tracks. I am fortunate to get to spend at least 5 mornings a week doing that. The change of seasons is very refreshing for me and I really do enjoy each one of them. Always gives me something new to look forward to and enjoy. Just another opinion and my 2 cents.
            Richard
            Sabre 36  Seascape
            Lake Ontario

            Sorry to hear winter has remained like a lion back East. Here in San Diego it has been in the 70's. You can't beat the sailing here, a reliable 10-15 knots of breeze and gray whales off the coast. But I still long for my younger days when I cruised off of Newport, Block Island ,Cuttyhunk. the Vineyard and Nantucket.You can't beat the sailing on a good day back East in Southern New England or Penobscot Bay. We have many a good sailing day out here, but not as many beautiful historic places to sail to. So , if you are ever out here ,I would enjoy having a crew. Best wishes for the arrival of winter's end and the smell of activity in the boat yards. Best and warm regards, Barry, Sabre 28-524, San Diego.

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Trainor <dptrainor@...> wrote:

            > Winter is Great because we appreciate sailing season so much more. Its all
            > new again, exciting!
            >
            > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Art <aacroxton@...> wrote:
            >

            > > 72 today(down right toasty) gentle 8-10 SE so I got out for 4 hour sail in
            > > North Fork St Lucie River. Only complaint is 145 genoa at sail loft for
            > > repairs so I had to poke along with small jib/main. Saw no snakes, felt no
            > > bugs and as for hurricanes, hell we'll start thinking earnestly about that
            > > August.
            > >
            > > Art Croxton
            > > S 30
            > > Stuart, FL
            > >

            > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com <Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > Dave Lochner <davelochner@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > It may be, but you get hurricanes, big bugs, and snakes!
            > > >

            > > > On Jan 29, 2011, at 8:43 AM, jack horner wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Yeah Tampa 60 and you can sail in 60 and no shoveling !! Lee/ Tarpon
            > > springs/ Tampa bay !

          • Daniel Trainor

              --
              Dan

            • Leonard Bertaux

                --
                Dan

              • Neubsr@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 1, 2011
                  Thanks Dan -    Richard

                  --
                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 1, 2011

                    Well, the snowblower parts are all reattached and today's 4 inch snowfall is cleared from the driveway. Patience, a new tool, and a few beers solved the problem. Who would have thought that actually placing the drive chain on the sprocket would make a difference? Any job that provides an excuse for buying new tools or drinking a beer is probably a job to tackle.

                    After effecting the repair and throwing snow 50 ft over to my neighbor's driveway, I realized that therein is a sailing lesson.

                    The repair involved replacing the drive and auger belts and the friction plate; things that wear gradually over time. When I finally got that $ucker working this evening I was amazed at the power that the machine had. That 9 HP Snowblower seemed to have a mind of its own and could throw snow a long way. In the middle of the driveway, an epiphany occurred, how often on our boats do we not notice the subtle degradations of our boat's performance? Over the years I had forgotten how powerful the snowblower was.

                    As our boat's sails and system wear they often do so at less than an JND (just noticeable difference) per sail or season. After a while, all those JNDs add up to a noticeable difference.

                    So if you are thinking of a new sail, an engine rebuild, or any of an infinite number of upgrades to you boat, I offer this example as one more argument for buying new tools, new boat toys, or more beer.

                    Winter can be a good thing.

                    Dave

                    Thanks Dan -    Richard

                    --