Stress cracks around prop shaft strut-34MK2

  • smofishlaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
      I seem to have a somewhat circular crack going around the prop shaft strut on my 34MK2. It's about eight inches from the strut itself. Anyone else experience anything like this?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011

        Sabre used polyester resin as a fairing compound. Over time polyester shrinks and separates from the hull. That is probably the case with your strut.

        Attached is the strut on my S30 MKI. some of the fairing compound has been removed, but you can see the line where the fairing compound has pulled away from the hull. At least on the 30 the base of the strut sits in a recess and then filled and faired.

        Dave

        On Jan 31, 2011, at 9:44 AM, smofishlaw wrote:

        I seem to have a somewhat circular crack going around the prop shaft strut on my 34MK2. It's about eight inches from the strut itself. Anyone else experience anything like this?

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
          It could be from the bondo-like filler material that was used to smooth over the strut area. If you're in a cold climate, water could have got behind it and started to lift it in a freeze. I've had to repair this before. A good test is to sand off the bottom paint (and possibly barrier coat) in that spot and compare the color and texture to gelcoat. If it's filler, once you get a scraper blade under it, it will usually pop off easily. Then refill. You also want to check that the strut is tight for piece of mind.

          Scott

          Sent from my iPad