RE: [SabreSailboat] Re: Sole replacement / repair

  • Barry Dwyer
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 2, 2011

      Richard,

      Who did the work for you?

      Barry Dwyer, Partner

      Xscion
      tel: 703.729.6131 cell: 571.236.4340

      www.xscion.com

      From: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of coppolar99
      Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:06 PM
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Sole replacement / repair

      When we got our 1988 S42 it had been uncared for by the PO for a few years and had a spongy sole at the mast base. This was entirely due to a clogged linber hole at the base and so the sole just sat in water for an extended period of time. However after ripping out the sole inspection showed that the stringers and mast step were completely solid, apparently the epoxy coating had done its job in protecting from any water infiltration, it was just the sole that was rotten. I paid about $3K to get the entire sole redone, this was new marine plywood and then teak and holly 1/4 inch on top.

      Richard, ESCAPE, 1998 S42, Edgewater, MD

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Callis <jsts@...> wrote:

      > That's a great suggestion, and one that I have been considering. The first step which will be tricky is getting a solid quote on the repair and reducing the price by that much. The seller in my case already believes that he is selling the boat too cheap "his opinion", and many others have suggested that the job could cost as much as $10,000. Is $10,000 a realistic guess to replace the sole from the mast back to the galley sink provided the stingers are good. This would be a piece that is about 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. The sole from the companion way ladder to the galley sink is good, and there is already a factory seam there.
      >
      > John

    • Gib Metcalf
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 3 7:18 PM
        For a minute I was imagining bits of dried fish on the underside of the drawers.  And all this time I thought that smell was my holding tank.
        Gib

        Gilbert E. Metcalf

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 3, 2011, at 6:32 PM, "Bruce Heyman"<bruceheyman@...> wrote:

        Look at your drawer bottoms.  Sometimes they used scrap sole to finish of the drawers.
        Bruce

        Bruce Heyman
        (949) 289-8400
        BruceHeyman@...