Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Sole replacement / repair

  • Leonard Bertaux
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 2, 2011
      Do you mean a visual or structural inspection? Have your surveyor conduct a careful visual inspection to look for signs of trouble. This could be loose tanning, color differences, or other signs of distress. Ask him to also percussion whatever may be reachable. This is the best indication of sound, bonded glass short of drilling out the stringers. If there is cause for concern it should be evident in these.

      Leonard Bertaux

      Sent from my iPhone,

      On Jan 2, 2011, at 2:29 PM, "allan.jarvis1" <apjarvis@...> wrote:

      Are stringer problems also an issues on S28s?

      I ask having just purchased a 1976 boat that surveyed to be in good condition, but there were no comment on the condition of the stringers (if they exist in the S28, Mk IIs). If there are stringers in these hulls, and if they can be an issue, then how do I go about having them inspected?

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "fs3873" <jsts@...> wrote:
      > I have been shopping for a Sabre 34 MK II or 36 MK I that were built in the 1980's, and have repeatedly come across boats that have rotted soles. At first glance the soles look good, but when the underside is inspected rot can be found that starts from the bottom and works its way up. The sole on some will flex when walked on which gives the problem away, other times it is discovered only by reaching under the sole. Additionally the rot that I am mentioning can be found not just by the mast step buy on more than 50% of the floor some times.
      > I have spoken with brokers who say the sole looks fine as far as they can tell, but when I press them to please look at the underside of the sole before you waste my time traveling to see the boat, they confess that there is some rot on the underside.
      > I have also learned that the stringers that are encased in fiberglass, run the risk of rotting from the inside out, and this is not something that can be observe, as the outer fiberglass hides the damage.
      > So, my questions are these:
      > 1. How can you be sure that the stringers are not rotted internally?
      > 2. If it is determined that the stringers are good, how much of the interior needs to be removed to replace the sole? If the sole end at the base of the settee seats, and not too much goes under the cabinetry then replacement might not be too terribly difficult.
      > 3. I have seen Early Lights sole replacement job. He did a great job, but could it be done just as easily with 3/4 teak and holly plywood?
      > 4. How was the original floor attached to the stringers? It appears that the original floor is 3/4 plywood, but there are no visible screws. Was it originally glued in place, and is that a possible method of replacement?
      > Thanks for any input. I truly love the Sabre's but this mast step rot, and sole problem is leading me to start seriously considering another boat manufacturer.
      > Thanks Again
      > John

    • Gib Metcalf
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 3, 2011
        For a minute I was imagining bits of dried fish on the underside of the drawers.  And all this time I thought that smell was my holding tank.

        Gilbert E. Metcalf

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 3, 2011, at 6:32 PM, "Bruce Heyman"<bruceheyman@...> wrote:

        Look at your drawer bottoms.  Sometimes they used scrap sole to finish of the drawers.

        Bruce Heyman
        (949) 289-8400