Sabre 30 Sea Trial and Survey

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
      I am having a prepurchase survey and sea trial done on a 1986 Sabre 30. Any areas of concern that I or the surveyor should make sure to look at?

      Thanks in advance.

      Kevin
    • Leonard Bertaux
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
        Kevin
        Have the mast pulled and the mast step inspected. Mast step rot is a common deficiency in older Sabres due to the failure to provide a secure drainage path from water that gets inside the mast.

        Len Bertaux
        Walkabout S38 MKII

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
            Since it's an 86, I am assuming that it is a MkIII.  Check the exhaust manifold on the W18.  If it's a one-piece aluminum casting, you are good.  If it has bolted-on end caps, there could be trouble.  That manifold was the subject of a recall by Westerbeke, due to leakage that ended up wiping out #3 cylinder, If it has the old manifold, have a compression test done and factor in @1K parts & labor for an updated manifold.
            Check the fuel tank - after 20-some years, crevice corrosion can and will attack the bottom of the tank where it sits on the rubber pads.  If you see any diesel aft of the engine, that's probably the source.  Good news -  an exact replacement is under $300 and the tank goes in an out through the cockpit locker.
            Also, when the boat is hauled, check the rudder for play, watching the bushing in the hull.

            If it's sound, and it should be, the Mk III is a great sailing boat, with a really nice interior.
            Pete
            1988 S30 MkIII

            On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Kevin <Khartz86@...> wrote:

            I am having a prepurchase survey and sea trial done on a 1986 Sabre 30. Any areas of concern that I or the surveyor should make sure to look at?

            Thanks in advance.

            Kevin

          • Antonio Pensa

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
                Engine is a 2000 yanmar 18hp. Any issues on that make?

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                > Since it's an 86, I am assuming that it is a MkIII. Check the exhaust
                > manifold on the W18. If it's a one-piece aluminum casting, you are good.
                > If it has bolted-on end caps, there could be trouble. That manifold was the
                > subject of a recall by Westerbeke, due to leakage that ended up wiping out
                > #3 cylinder, If it has the old manifold, have a compression test done and
                > factor in @1K parts & labor for an updated manifold.
                > Check the fuel tank - after 20-some years, crevice corrosion can and will
                > attack the bottom of the tank where it sits on the rubber pads. If you see
                > any diesel aft of the engine, that's probably the source. Good news - an
                > exact replacement is under $300 and the tank goes in an out through the
                > cockpit locker.
                > Also, when the boat is hauled, check the rudder for play, watching the
                > bushing in the hull.
                >
                > If it's sound, and it should be, the Mk III is a great sailing boat, with a
                > really nice interior.
                > Pete
                > 1988 S30 MkIII
                >
                > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Kevin <Khartz86@...> wrote:
                >

                > > I am having a prepurchase survey and sea trial done on a 1986 Sabre 30. Any
                > > areas of concern that I or the surveyor should make sure to look at?
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance.
                > >
                > > Kevin

              • Al Lorman
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010

                  I’ve had two.  It is widely used and last a long time.

                  Al Lorman

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
                    I'm not familiar with it, but it looks like the W18 got fixed the hard way. Lots of info available on Yanmars, though.
                    Pete