Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: CNG oven [2 Attachments]

  • MSL
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 1, 2010
      Jamie

      Nice job.

      In terms of real world usage, is a 10 lb tank of propane roughly equal to a scuba tank of CNG?

      We tend to use one scuba tank a season.

      Sent from my iPod
      Martin Landis

      On Sep 30, 2010, at 5:50 PM, james dase <doggmann@...> wrote:

      Martin,

      Be glad to.

      I have attached a photo and a sketch (not an  artist so I apologize in advance).

      The exisiting locker on our boat is on the starboard side.   Previously two scuba type CNG tanks were mounted in the locker side by side in the horizontal position (figure one as viewed from bow or stern).

      Simply, I cut out the fibreglass saddle that held the tanks in position, then glassed in a new flat bottom, and painted with two part epoxy that was a reasonable match to the existing color.

      The locker is as depicted in figure three.  I did not want to cut the entire bottom of the locker out (which could be an option) and the space I created did not have room for two upright 10 lb. tanks.

      I measured carefully and was pleased to find I would be able to fit one horizontal and one vertical tank in the space I created.  There was only room under the lid portion of the locker for the vertical tank, the horizontal tank had to go into the locker first.

      I then epoxied in two pieces of oak cut into a saddle shape, one for each tank.  The saddles received strapping to hold the tanks in position.

      The locker already had an overboard vent from the lowest position in the locker, I checked it for integrity and it was fine.

      New regulator,  valve with gauge, new hose, new tanks, installed the kit on the stove, checked with soap for leaks, did a pressure test with the new valve to see if any loss, installed a sniffer system (it fits in the old CNG control head location perfectly), placed a new gasket on the locker lid, and Bob's your Uncle.

      I had a gasfitter friend and a surveyor look at the job and they would not have done anything different.

      regards,

      jamie

      From: james dase <doggmann@...>
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 6:24 AM

      The stove on our S42 (three burner) was branded as Gas Systems Hillerange on the front, on the back was the Seaward label.

      Seaward gave me the part numbers and I ordered them through our local chandlery (after convincing the attendant the parts were available and directing him to the Distributor).   The Distributor in Vancouver  http://www.transatmarine.com/main/homepage.html  has a public website that allows searches by part numbers etc.

      Our Sabre had two of the CNG bottles in an aft starboard locker.  I cut the saddle out and glassed in a flat floor.  I was able to install  two 10 lb aluminum tanks, one vertical and the other horizontal.  The locker was already vented overboard.  It is recommended you change up the old gas delivery line from the locker to the stove (continuous, no breaks).  You will also need to install a propane sniffer system.

      The part numbers were:

      • 80423   thermostat
      • 80332   cng three burner orifice kit

      The cost was not significant as I recall.  The real work was in the yoga positions to get the job done.

      Worth a query to Transat Marine if anyone is looking for a conversion.

      You never know who has a particular part laying around.  Westerbeke told me a particular hose kit for our engine was no longer available.  One of our marine engine shops had the entire kit on the shelf under about a 1/2" of dust.

      jamie

      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 11, 2010
        Me too!  This is on my list for next year.

        Thanks for the info in advance.

        from the iPhone of

        Richard Peirce
        CHOPPER PICTURES INC.

        mobile +1(416)822-3330
        office   +1(416)466-7333

        On Oct 10, 2010, at 10:04 AM, Leonard Bertaux <lbertaux@...> wrote:

        Matt
        I have the same oven and am very interested to see hoe the needle valve modification will work  Please keep me posted!

        Leonard Bertaux

        Sent from my iPhone,

        On Oct 9, 2010, at 11:16 AM, "MATT" <funjohnson@...> wrote:

        I just recieved the new LPG orifice for my Regal CNG stove today. They were $43.35 shipped from Todd at Sure Marine (206) 784-9903. The stove burners should be easy, but the oven needs a bit more work. Todd has never converted a Regal stove over to LPG, but gave some pointers on how to adjust the needle valve for the oven.

        I'll post some photos when I start the project this spring.