Re: [SabreSailboat] Supporting the pull out berth

  • Dave Evans
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2010
      Our 34-II (and it's amazing how similar they all are) has a flip down foot at the aft end. Nothing elaborate; you can probably see where it had been. Simple to remake.
      dge

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:

      Hello again from the "newbie". Spirit (1974 S28) has the pull-out double berth. Double is a bit misleading but I can see it would be nice to have a wider berth sometimes. It is supported at the front by a trim piece below the magazine rack/table. What is supposed to support it aft though? Should it have a leg or something? There is nothing obvious missing. Thanks to all of you for your patience and help. I do search here to see if others have asked the same things and it seems I am often the first - which really makes me wonder!
      David

    • Sid
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
        I have often wondered on the utility of that berth without a properly sized cushion. Does anyone have a cushion that fills in the space when the berth is extended? I had assumed that the backrest for the
        quarter berth would fill the gap, but that is not even close.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

        > Our 34-II (and it's amazing how similar they all are) has a flip down foot at the aft end. Nothing elaborate; you can probably see where it had been. Simple to remake.
        > dge
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hello again from the "newbie". Spirit (1974 S28) has the pull-out double berth. Double is a bit misleading but I can see it would be nice to have a wider berth sometimes. It is supported at the front by a trim piece below the magazine rack/table. What is supposed to support it aft though? Should it have a leg or something? There is nothing obvious missing. Thanks to all of you for your patience and help. I do search here to see if others have asked the same things and it seems I am often the first - which really makes me wonder!
        > > David

      • Jeff Bartlett
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
          I have an additional cushion that is the same height as the quarter berth backrest cushion, but 18 or so inches long.  This cushion fills in the double with the back rest cushion.

          Jeff
          S28-546

          To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
          From: xawdisney@...
          Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 20:27:11 +0000
          Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Supporting the pull out berth

          I have often wondered on the utility of that berth without a properly sized cushion. Does anyone have a cushion that fills in the space when the berth is extended? I had assumed that the backrest for the
          quarter berth would fill the gap, but that is not even close.

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

          > Our 34-II (and it's amazing how similar they all are) has a flip down foot at the aft end. Nothing elaborate; you can probably see where it had been. Simple to remake.
          > dge
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello again from the "newbie". Spirit (1974 S28) has the pull-out double berth. Double is a bit misleading but I can see it would be nice to have a wider berth sometimes. It is supported at the front by a trim piece below the magazine rack/table. What is supposed to support it aft though? Should it have a leg or something? There is nothing obvious missing. Thanks to all of you for your patience and help. I do search here to see if others have asked the same things and it seems I am often the first - which really makes me wonder!
          > > David

        • Barry Wilson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
            Interesting.
            The back cushions on my boat are thin and permanently attached.  I have a spare cushion that fills in the space when the berth is opened up.

            Barry
            Slipstream S28 #400

            To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
            From: xawdisney@...
            Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 20:27:11 +0000

            I have often wondered on the utility of that berth without a properly sized cushion. Does anyone have a cushion that fills in the space when the berth is extended? I had assumed that the backrest for the
            quarter berth would fill the gap, but that is not even close.

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

            > Our 34-II (and it's amazing how similar they all are) has a flip down foot at the aft end. Nothing elaborate; you can probably see where it had been. Simple to remake.
            > dge
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello again from the "newbie". Spirit (1974 S28) has the pull-out double berth. Double is a bit misleading but I can see it would be nice to have a wider berth sometimes. It is supported at the front by a trim piece below the magazine rack/table. What is supposed to support it aft though? Should it have a leg or something? There is nothing obvious missing. Thanks to all of you for your patience and help. I do search here to see if others have asked the same things and it seems I am often the first - which really makes me wonder!
            > > David

          • Sid
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
              Son of a gun! I do have those cushions.. I use the quarter berth for storage, so I don't keep that backrest on the boat, abut I remembered it as being too wide (as well as too short) to fit in that gap... Just checked, and I guess it is not too wide. I had always wondered about that little cushion. I just use it as a throw pillow, but now it all makes sense... Pretty clever, those down-easters! Good thing I didn't go out and invest in a new cushion...

              Sid

              S28-II 319

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bartlett <jhbartlett@...> wrote:

              > I have an additional cushion that is the same height as the quarter berth backrest cushion, but 18 or so inches long. This cushion fills in the double with the back rest cushion.
              > JeffS28-546
              >
              > To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
              > From: xawdisney@...
              > Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 20:27:11 +0000
              > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Supporting the pull out berth

              > I have often wondered on the utility of that berth without a properly sized cushion. Does anyone have a cushion that fills in the space when the berth is extended? I had assumed that the backrest for the
              >
              > quarter berth would fill the gap, but that is not even close.
              >

              > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@> wrote:
              >

              > > Our 34-II (and it's amazing how similar they all are) has a flip down foot at the aft end. Nothing elaborate; you can probably see where it had been. Simple to remake.
              >
              > > dge
              >

              > > Sent from my iPhone
              >

              > > On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, "dleedvm" <leex3103@> wrote:
              >

              > > > Hello again from the "newbie". Spirit (1974 S28) has the pull-out double berth. Double is a bit misleading but I can see it would be nice to have a wider berth sometimes. It is supported at the front by a trim piece below the magazine rack/table. What is supposed to support it aft though? Should it have a leg or something? There is nothing obvious missing. Thanks to all of you for your patience and help. I do search here to see if others have asked the same things and it seems I am often the first - which really makes me wonder!
              >
              > > > David

            • Carter Brey
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2010
                Sid and Jeff,

                Thank you for explaining, finally, how to fill in that fold-out berth. I
                never made the connection between the quarter berth backrest and that
                little rectangular cushion. Duh.

                Carter

                --
                Carter Brey
                Principal Cellist, New York Philharmonic
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
                • 1 Attachment
                • 470 KB
                On my 28 (see pix) I have a  quarter birth cushion that doubles as a fill in piece when the birth is extended.I had the canvas lady put snaps on the rear of the cushion that match up with snaps on the teak rail. Works ok and does not fall off in rough weather..Lee

                I have often wondered on the utility of that berth without a properly sized cushion. Does anyone have a cushion that fills in the space when the berth is extended? I had assumed that the backrest for the
                quarter berth would fill the gap, but that is not even close.

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

                > Our 34-II (and it's amazing how similar they all are) has a flip down foot at the aft end. Nothing elaborate; you can probably see where it had been. Simple to remake.
                > dge
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hello again from the "newbie". Spirit (1974 S28) has the pull-out double berth. Double is a bit misleading but I can see it would be nice to have a wider berth sometimes. It is supported at the front by a trim piece below the magazine rack/table. What is supposed to support it aft though? Should it have a leg or something? There is nothing obvious missing. Thanks to all of you for your patience and help. I do search here to see if others have asked the same things and it seems I am often the first - which really makes me wonder!
                > > David

              • Gib Metcalf
                Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
                  We've made good use of the pull-out berth on Troubadour using the quarter berth cushion (augmented by the small square cushion) over the years.  After our first trip to Maine when one of the crew was tossed out of bed in the rolling conditions, we made inexpensive lee clothes out of some sailcloth fabric.  Snaps attach the bottom end of the cloth to the top of the port berth behind the vertical lip that is supposed to keep the cushion from sliding off.   The upper part of the cloths attach with lines to the handrails above.  It makes a comfy secure cocoon.  They are about 4 feet long and maybe 2 feet wide.
                  Gib

                  On 9/6/2010 9:46 AM, jack horner wrote:

                  On my 28 (see pix) I have a  quarter birth cushion that doubles as a fill in piece when the birth is extended.I had the canvas lady put snaps on the rear of the cushion that match up with snaps on the teak rail. Works ok and does not fall off in rough weather..Lee

                  I have often wondered on the utility of that berth without a properly sized cushion. Does anyone have a cushion that fills in the space when the berth is extended? I had assumed that the backrest for the
                  quarter berth would fill the gap, but that is not even close.

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

                  > Our 34-II (and it's amazing how similar they all are) has a flip down foot at the aft end. Nothing elaborate; you can probably see where it had been. Simple to remake.
                  > dge
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello again from the "newbie". Spirit (1974 S28) has the pull-out double berth. Double is a bit misleading but I can see it would be nice to have a wider berth sometimes. It is supported at the front by a trim piece below the magazine rack/table. What is supposed to support it aft though? Should it have a leg or something? There is nothing obvious missing. Thanks to all of you for your patience and help. I do search here to see if others have asked the same things and it seems I am often the first - which really makes me wonder!
                  > > David

                • dleedvm
                  Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
                    Hi everyone,
                    I sent a reply on this subject last night but it didn't show. If you see a duplicate, sorry! I was able to find the support for the berth - pretty low tech but effective. I used the double berth as a luxurious single berth this weekend and it was excellent. I do happen to have the "back rest" from the quarter berth and an extra square piece that fit nicely in the gap. The square piece usually covers up the extra foot spact on the starboard settee during the day. It is amazing to me that after 36 years, Spirit still has all of the pieces. So often something gets ruined or left in a garage somewhere. I guess people take better care of their Sabres than other boats. Thanks everyone!
                    David