Re: Cabin Fans

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 3, 2010
      Richard,

      Here is another option. We really like the three fans we purchased from Hotwire.com in Florida. They come with a 12-volt plug and we just move them around where needed. I installed recepticals around the boat to power them. They don't use hardly any power and are not real noisey. Actually, they help to drown out the Mexican Mariachi music which can boom out from shore on Sat. Nights!

      You can order them online and save on the tax! OOPS! We already covered that several threads back!

      Jan S38 MkI "Capriccio" Mazatlan, Mex.

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 3, 2010
        The guy at Hot Wire is just 3 blocks from me..He fixed me up with my ATM battery s. Very honest to a fault. He knows sail boats..Lee/ fla

        Here is another option. We really like the three fans we purchased from Hotwire.com in Florida. They come with a 12-volt plug and we just move them around where needed. I installed recepticals around the boat to power them. They don't use hardly any power and are not real noisey. Actually, they help to drown out the Mexican Mariachi music which can boom out from shore on Sat. Nights!

        You can order them online and save on the tax! OOPS! We already covered that several threads back!

        Jan S38 MkI "Capriccio" Mazatlan, Mex.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Neubauer" <Neubsr@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the ideas and suggestions thus far. A combination of fixed mount and movable sounds like a good aproach at this point.
        > Richard
        > Sabre 36 Seascape
        > Lake Ontario
        >
        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Instead of wood, get a clamp and drill some holes to match the fan mount before bolting together.
        > > http://www.homedepot.com/Irwin/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xn8Zsm/R-100082976/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
        > >
        > > You can clamp them anywhere like the handrails.  I use the 12v plug on a cheap RV fan.
        > > Total cost is < $20
        > > Not the most power efficient, but if you only use occasionally, it is cheap, leaves no marks, easilly replaced, and removable when you sell the boat.

      • christopher
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 3, 2010
          Richard,
          We use the Caframo 747 with optional clamp. On low they are quiet and use little power, on hi it can be a bit loud. When not in use I store them in a locker.

          The clamp works well allowing us to put them where we want them. Sometimes I'll clamp it to an open hatch blowing outside air down into the main salon or into the forward cabin.

          See Defender #'s 900258 and 900259

          -Christopher
          S30 #18 Aetheria

        • Neubsr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 3, 2010
            Jan - I am having difficulity finding the Hotwire site as well as the fan informaiton. Can you provide some additional detail.  Thanks
            Richard
            Sabre 36  Seascape
            Lake Ontario

            Here is another option. We really like the three fans we purchased from Hotwire.com in Florida. They come with a 12-volt plug and we just move them around where needed. I installed recepticals around the boat to power them. They don't use hardly any power and are not real noisey. Actually, they help to drown out the Mexican Mariachi music which can boom out from shore on Sat. Nights!

            You can order them online and save on the tax! OOPS! We already covered that several threads back!

            Jan S38 MkI "Capriccio" Mazatlan, Mex.

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Neubauer" <Neubsr@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the ideas and suggestions thus far. A combination of fixed mount and movable sounds like a good aproach at this point.
            > Richard
            > Sabre 36 Seascape
            > Lake Ontario
            >
            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Instead of wood, get a clamp and drill some holes to match the fan mount before bolting together.
            > > http://www.homedepot.com/Irwin/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xn8Zsm/R-100082976/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
            > >
            > > You can clamp them anywhere like the handrails.  I use the 12v plug on a cheap RV fan.
            > > Total cost is < $20
            > > Not the most power efficient, but if you only use occasionally, it is cheap, leaves no marks, easilly replaced, and removable when you sell the boat.

          • mystic_camera
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 2010
              well at least the jokers are still left!..

              Hi Jan :) .. where are you at these days?.. am still in Mystic and looking at another winter on the hard unfortunately.

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <workshoe99@...> wrote:

              > Ian,
              >
              > Come now. After you're done tinkering with the fans, you COULD be accused of not playing with a full deck!
              >
              > Jan- (who is often not playing with a full deck but having a ball anyways!)
              >
              > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mystic_camera" <mystic_camera@> wrote:
              > >
              > > the Hella fans are what are installed by Sabre when fans are selected as an option... They are quiet (on the low speed), efficient and can be directed over quite some area.. i cannot think of a better fan.
              > >
              > > The only downside is that over time they are prone to a degree of vibration and noise. not sure if this is totally bearing related or also due to the plastic parts deforming...which leads to you sticking bits of paper (or playing cards) into the frame and restricting the direction of flow to keep them quiet..
              > >
              > > ian
              > >

              > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Don Teagno <djteagno@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Those little 2 speed Hella fans are a good choice. Put a 12 volt plug on the cord. Mount them on a small block of wood and they are portable.
              > > >
              > > > To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
              > > > From: Neubsr@
              > > > Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:06:01 +0000
              > > > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Cabin Fans

              > > > It has been a very hot summer and the time has come to install a couple of 12 volt cabin fans on our Sabre 36. I would be interested in any recommendations and experience both good and bad with respect to location, installation and brands. Thanks
              > > >
              > > > Richard
              > > >
              > > > Sabre 36 Seascape
              > > >
              > > > Lake Ontario

            • Jan
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
                Richard,

                I'm sorry I forgot he has sv in the name. The fans are labeled Hotwire Enterprises. Search svhotwire.com and you'll find it. John and Libby are great people and I've talked with them at several boat shows. He makes the fans himself.

                Jan

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Neubsr@... wrote:

                > Jan - I am having difficulity finding the Hotwire site as well as the fan informaiton. Can you provide some additional detail. Thanks
                > Richard
                > Sabre 36 Seascape
                > Lake Ontario

              • Jan
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
                  Richard,

                  I just went on John's site and can't find the fans. You could write him and ask if he has a few still around. Downwind Marine in San Diego used to stock them so you could try their website. They're great little fans and I hope they are still around somewhere.

                  Sorry for the confusion.
                  Jan

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Neubsr@... wrote:

                  > Jan - I am having difficulity finding the Hotwire site as well as the fan informaiton. Can you provide some additional detail. Thanks
                  > Richard
                  > Sabre 36 Seascape
                  > Lake Ontario

                • Jan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
                    Ian,

                    I'm still in New Orleans working on the cruising kitty. I'll be out of here at months end, then two months in San Diego and off to Mexico for another winter aboard Capriccio. Can't wait! Sorry to hear you'll be on the hard. I missed this year's cruising season and I can tell you watching Mardi Gras and Saint's Victory Parade was a poor substitute!

                    Jan S38 Mk I

                  • Neubsr@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
                      Thanks for the extre help Jan.  I will get to this later today.

                    • Neubsr@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
                        Thanks for the second update. The search continues.

                      • Neubsr@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
                          OK, here is the latest on Hotwire fans. I called John at 727 943 0424 and he was very easy to talk with. They have stopped making these fans currently but they continue to get calls for new ones or replacements. They have generated an email list of folks who are interested and sometime in the future they will make a batch and contact folks about the availability. That is it for now.
                          Richard
                          Sabre 36  Seascape
                          Lake Ontario