Re: Swim ladder with stern pupit

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2010
      Another option would be a side mounted ladder by the gate. Perhaps less of a project and I think there are advantages to side entry from a dinghy.
      Martin

    • bruceheyman@cox.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
        Martin,
        You are right about the advantages. While at anchor or on a mooring if the waves are up you might find it difficult to enter the dingy from the stern where a side gate will be much easier.
        Bruce

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: "Martin" <mnthomas46@...>
        Sender: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 05:05:38 -0000
        To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Swim ladder with stern pupit

        Another option would be a side mounted ladder by the gate. Perhaps less of a project and I think there are advantages to side entry from a dinghy.
        Martin

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "dleedvm" <leex3103@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        > Ok, the newb has a ton of questions! Weird after being one of the "older" participants in the Potter forum for so long. One thing I didn't really consider was what I would do about a swim ladder - the kids swim off the boat a lot (and the odds of me falling in are pretty good too!). My stern pulpit is complete across the transom. Would it be crazy to cut one segment and replace it with a lifeline that could be disconnected? It sounds kind of crazy as I type this but I'm not sure how else I would do this. Thanks
        > David

      • Daniel Trainor
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
          Does not sound crazy to me.  I have heard of other people doing just that on S28.

          --
          Dan

        • R Coerse
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
            David,
            Welcome to the forum.  As for your swim ladder installation, my S34 MK I had a swim ladder installed at the factory when she was built, but the 24 inch high double rail stern pulpit made it difficult for a short legged person to get back aboard.  I cut out the upper rail and installed a cable boarding gate wih a pelican hook in its place.  I have documented this project on my web site at:  http://earlylight160.110mb.com/SternBoardingGate.html

            Hope this helps.

            Dick Coerse

            "Early Light"

            1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160

            Solomons, MD

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
              DAN , I have cut my stern pulpit top rail out with my roto zip grinder.  I love it now  i have a knee replacement and in sunny Florida.So the top rail was a problem. I cut it one inch from the weld to allow a Bimini end fitting and chain with a snap shackle. I also split my Sabre 28's back stay to free the area.
               I just love it now. Go cruising and step in the the hard dink from the stern. Just tie off fore and aft !  Best of luck i have pix to if you like ... Lee

              --
              Dan

            • robert dubee
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
                Swim / boarding ladder for my Sabre 34
                was very simple and inexpensive.  Purchased
                a folding teak ladder from local marine
                store.  High quality and just one hinge off
                eye hook.  Extends down to 7 feet so it
                makes easy access from swimming or
                from a dingy.  Attaches on to two eye hooks
                screwed into toe rail beside starrboard
                gate.  Stores nicely in forward sail locker.
                Weighs about 25 pounds.
                Only issue would be with man overboard
                emergency, one would have to leave
                cockpit to retrieve laddar.  Could also
                store it in cockpit sail locker.
                For the above reason we recently also
                got a stern ladder for safety reasons
                which is easy to let down and climb
                aboard and you never have to leave
                the wheel.
                The solid teak ladder cost about $250
                20 years ago and is a lot less expensive
                than the new stern ladder that had to
                be custom made.

                Sent from my iPhone

                --
                Dan

              • dleedvm
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Thanks, everyone, for your reponses! I like the looks of the ladder on the Sabre 34. The only difference is that your stern pulpit has two rails whereas the 28 only has one. Still, I wouldn't think cutting it would alter the structural integrity all that much. I also appreciate the caveats about the stern vs. a side ladder. I will look for a folding ladder for the side. Thanks again.
                  David

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "robert dubee" <rdubee@...> wrote:

                  > Swim / boarding ladder for my Sabre 34
                  > was very simple and inexpensive. Purchased
                  > a folding teak ladder from local marine
                  > store. High quality and just one hinge off
                  > eye hook. Extends down to 7 feet so it
                  > makes easy access from swimming or
                  > from a dingy. Attaches on to two eye hooks
                  > screwed into toe rail beside starrboard
                  > gate. Stores nicely in forward sail locker.
                  > Weighs about 25 pounds.
                  > Only issue would be with man overboard
                  > emergency, one would have to leave
                  > cockpit to retrieve laddar. Could also
                  > store it in cockpit sail locker.
                  > For the above reason we recently also
                  > got a stern ladder for safety reasons
                  > which is easy to let down and climb
                  > aboard and you never have to leave
                  > the wheel.
                  > The solid teak ladder cost about $250
                  > 20 years ago and is a lot less expensive
                  > than the new stern ladder that had to
                  > be custom made.
                  >

                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Aug 1, 2010, at 8:39 AM, "jack horner" <captbluwater@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > DAN , I have cut my stern pulpit top rail out with my roto zip
                  > > grinder. I love it now i have a knee replacement and in sunny
                  > > Florida.So the top rail was a problem. I cut it one inch from the
                  > > weld to allow a Bimini end fitting and chain with a snap shackle. I
                  > > also split my Sabre 28's back stay to free the area.
                  > > I just love it now. Go cruising and step in the the hard dink from
                  > > the stern. Just tie off fore and aft ! Best of luck i have pix to
                  > > if you like ... Lee

                • Leonard Bertaux
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
                    David

                    The SS work on most late model Sabres was fabricated by a shop in Michigan, "Tops in Quality: is their name. They would have the ability to fabricate a ladder to your specifications. I have heard from others who have had made to order work that they are reasonable and produce accurate work from your plans or specifications.

                    Len Bertaux
                    Walkabout S38 MKII

                  • dleedvm
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
                      Len,
                      I saw that company mentioned on the posting Sabre has on their technical resource page (which is a really great resource!). There are some commercially made transom-mounted ladders out there that I will probably look into rather than spring for a custom-made ladder. The survey is being done today so I may have different priorities in a few hours! Thanks everyone.
                      David