Re: [SabreSailboat] BiodieselI

  • Stefan Ufer
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
      Carter,
      I am running during the summer B100 in my W18 for a little over two years
      now. No negative side effects as far as I can tell (Exhaust fumes have a
      different smell to them....). Same power, same fuel consumption etc.
      My S30MkIII is berthed near Oriental, NC, so late Fall (November around
      here), I mix B50 in the tank to prevent the fuel from gelling. B100 gets
      thick earlier than dino diesel. We rarely get temps much below freezing anyways.

      Just before I started using Biodiesel, I replaced all fuel lines (I had
      clogged fuel lines caused by a lot of gunk in the tank when I purchased
      LAYLA). I had called the manufacturer of the fuel lines to confirm they
      are Biodiesel compatible. I also had contacted Westerbeke at the time
      about Biodiesel, and they did not object to it. They same I heared
      through Thorresen Marine.

      There was a great article about using Biodiesel for marine engines in one
      of the recent issues of Good Old Boat Magazine (I think July/August
      2005). I can send you a scanned copy of that article, in case you are
      interested. www.biodiesel.org is also a good resource for info.

      I am a member of the Piedmont biofuels Coop (http://biofuels.coop/), they
      in part make their own Biodiesel, but also distribute commercial B100.
      The commercial grade Biodiesel has to conform to the same ASTM specs as
      regular dino diesel does and being tested regularly therefore.
      There is no problem getting B100 around here in the Triangle Area/Raleigh, NC.
      B100 costs me $3.50/gallon at the Coop.

      I think it would be wonderful, if more marine diesel engines would run at
      least in part on biodiesel. Many fuel docks I have been to, have at least some
      diesel floating around in the water (always a mess). B100 is 100%
      biodegradable, cleaner burning and from a renewable source!

      Thanks for asking

      Stefan
      S30MkIII #189
      LAYLA

      On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Carter Brey wrote:

      > I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who regularly use biodiesel
      > or a mixture of bio and petroleum diesel in your auxiliaries. I'd be
      > particularly keen to hear from those who run their Westerbeke mills on
      > it, and would appreciate hearing about good experiences with local
      > Western Long Island Sound retailers.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Carter Brey
      > S28 Mk II # 532
      > City Island, NY
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carter Brey
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
        Stefan,

        Thank you for that very informative reply. I should have that issue of
        GOB lying around; I'll go hunt for it.

        Do you use 100% B100 in your W18 during the warm months? Is there some
        reason aside from economics that many people seem to use a mixture of
        bio and dino diesel?

        Thanks, and hoping not to be stuck "am Ufer" much longer,
        Carter

        Stefan Ufer wrote:

        >Carter,
        >I am running during the summer B100 in my W18 for a little over two years
        >now. No negative side effects as far as I can tell (Exhaust fumes have a
        >different smell to them....). Same power, same fuel consumption etc.
        >My S30MkIII is berthed near Oriental, NC, so late Fall (November around
        >here), I mix B50 in the tank to prevent the fuel from gelling. B100 gets
        >thick earlier than dino diesel. We rarely get temps much below freezing anyways.
        >
        >Just before I started using Biodiesel, I replaced all fuel lines (I had
        >clogged fuel lines caused by a lot of gunk in the tank when I purchased
        >LAYLA). I had called the manufacturer of the fuel lines to confirm they
        >are Biodiesel compatible. I also had contacted Westerbeke at the time
        >about Biodiesel, and they did not object to it. They same I heared
        >through Thorresen Marine.
        >
        >There was a great article about using Biodiesel for marine engines in one
        >of the recent issues of Good Old Boat Magazine (I think July/August
        >2005). I can send you a scanned copy of that article, in case you are
        >interested. www.biodiesel.org is also a good resource for info.
        >
        >I am a member of the Piedmont biofuels Coop (http://biofuels.coop/), they
        >in part make their own Biodiesel, but also distribute commercial B100.
        >The commercial grade Biodiesel has to conform to the same ASTM specs as
        >regular dino diesel does and being tested regularly therefore.
        >There is no problem getting B100 around here in the Triangle Area/Raleigh, NC.
        >B100 costs me $3.50/gallon at the Coop.
        >
        >I think it would be wonderful, if more marine diesel engines would run at
        >least in part on biodiesel. Many fuel docks I have been to, have at least some
        >diesel floating around in the water (always a mess). B100 is 100%
        >biodegradable, cleaner burning and from a renewable source!
        >

        >Thanks for asking
        >
        >Stefan
        >S30MkIII #189
        >LAYLA

      • Stefan Ufer
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
          Carter,
          yes, I am using 100% Biodiesel when its above freezing. I think, the
          reason for mixing bio and dino diesel comes from using it in cars and
          trucks.
          Some municipalities around here are using B20 in their truck fleets. B20
          gives you already some of the biodiesel benefits at almost dino diesel
          cost. Besides economics I am not aware of any other reason why B20 is so much
          more common than B100.
          I can tell from your comment me being stuck "am Ufer" at the moment at
          least, that you must be familiar with the language of the Teutons....
          I was born and raised over there.

          Have a great Sunday

          Stefan

        • Michael Grishman
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
            In addition to our Yanmar propulsion engine, we have a Westerbeke 3.8KW genset, and an Espar heater.  I'm sure the Yanmar and Westerbeke will run fine on biodiesel.  Does anyone have any experience with running an Espar on it and if so at what concentration?
            Thanks,
            Michael
            S402-097
            Wind Walker