Mainsail Sheet diameter & length

  • sailormike90
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
      Can someone tell me what the length and diameter of the mainsail sheet for a 28 foot Sabre Mark 11 is? I was out today and saw it's chaffed and want to replace right away. Any recommendations on brand are appreciated. Thanks

      Mike
    • Jeff Bartlett
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
        Mike,

        I didn't find it in the owners manual, and it depends on a few things, but here are some numbers to get you started.

        The "P" of a series II is 30.5'.  I'll assume the top band is about 1.5' below the sheave, so you'll need at least 64' of line just to get from boom height to the masthead sheave and back to the boom as when the sail is down.  I'd add ~10' to that to have spare line for a splice for the head shackle and to have a long enough tail to pull when you start to hoist.

        If your halyard is lead aft to the cockpit, you'll need to add that distance as well, guess another 15' or so.

        All that adds to ~90', so to be safe, I'd round up to 100'.  That should give you enough extra length to store the halyard attached to a stanchion base at the toe rail, and have enough extra length to cut off the head shackle splice and redo it a few times if you need to.

        As far as diameter, 3/8 or 7/16 is more than strong enough and likely where you'll end up once you consider cost, ease of handling, and intended use.  Any rope manufacturer (Samson, NE Ropes, etc) will have a website which will recommend which of their products is suitable for halyards.  I'm very happy with my Sta-Set X, but I wouldn't worry if it were the slightly less expensive, but slightly more stretchy Sta-Set.

        In the end, your type of sailing will probably drive the line diameter, weight/ft, and cost/ft decision.

        Jeff B
        S28-546

        To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
        From: sailormike90@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:53:12 +0000
        Subject: [SabreSailboat] Mainsail Sheet diameter & length

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
          D'oh!!

          You clearly wanted main sheet, not main halyard.

          LOA (28.42') - I (12.25') puts the mast ~16' forward of the stern.  When the boom is all the way out, it will be ~20' from the stern (Thanks Pythagoras)

          4:1 sheet will need at least 80' plus a tail long enough to get to where you want to be when you adjust it.

          I'd go with 85 to 90 feet of 1/2 line, just because 1/2 is easier to hold and pull than something smaller.

          Jeff

          To: sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

          From: sailormike90@ yahoo.com
          Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:53:12 +0000

          Can someone tell me what the length and diameter of the mainsail sheet for a 28 foot Sabre Mark 11 is? I was out today and saw it's chaffed and want to replace right away. Any recommendations on brand are appreciated. Thanks

          Mike

        • Pat Filoteo
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
            I had 3/8" STA-SET on my 28.  1/2" is more comfortable, but there is already a lot of friction in the system & I had older blocks.

            Pat

            To: sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

            From: sailormike90@ yahoo.com
            Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:53:12 +0000

            Can someone tell me what the length and diameter of the mainsail sheet for a 28 foot Sabre Mark 11 is? I was out today and saw it's chaffed and want to replace right away. Any recommendations on brand are appreciated. Thanks

            Mike

          • Charles Mueller
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2010
              I also have the 3/8" line on the mainsheet. The boat came with 1/2" line but the friction made it disfunctional. The 3/8 works fine and only when I am close hauled pulling in the last 6" do I even notice the line size.

              Chas #402

              To: sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
              From: patfiloteo@...
              Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:48:41 -0700

              To: sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

              From: sailormike90@ yahoo.com
              Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:53:12 +0000

              Can someone tell me what the length and diameter of the mainsail sheet for a 28 foot Sabre Mark 11 is? I was out today and saw it's chaffed and want to replace right away. Any recommendations on brand are appreciated. Thanks

              Mike

            • Carter Brey
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 2010
                I agree. I have the original Schaeffer blocks and when I went up to 1/2" the sheet would bind. I went back to 3/8" and the mainsheet is happy.

                If anyone wants about a mile of 1/2" Sta-Set, let me know.

                Carter Brey
                S28 MkII Delphine
                City Island, NY

                To: sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

                From: sailormike90@yahoo.com
                Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:53:12 +0000

                Can someone tell me what the length and diameter of the mainsail sheet for a 28 foot Sabre Mark 11 is? I was out today and saw it's chaffed and want to replace right away. Any recommendations on brand are appreciated. Thanks

                Mike

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 3, 2010
                  Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

                  Mike

                  From: sailormike90@yahoo.com
                  Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:53:12 +0000

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8, 2010
                    Per the previous discussion, try 7/16" Regatta. It is easy on the hands, flies through the blocks, doesn't hockle, and with a 4:1 purchase, stretch is not an issue. Plus it's cheaper.
                    Pete

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
                        Jeez, I'm not sure - 5,900 lbs breaking strength x 6 x 10% = 3,540 lbs.  That would give you @ 2% stretch, allowing the tip of the boom to move off an extra inch and a half or so close hauled.  At least it would only occur if it was really, really breezy. Your call :)
                        Pete