Transducer Blues

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
      My new Raymarine ST-60+ depthfinder works spectacularly - if I hold the transducer in the water.  I have tried several locations inside the hull, built a great PVC waterbox, but cannot get a reliable return through the hull.  I've done the baggie full of water test to no avail.  I am about ready to throw in the towel and haul the boat to install the transducer in the hole occupied by the dead Datamarine transducer. (I've been advised, on good authority, that it would not be a good in-the-water project.)  Any suggestions before I spend a week on the hard?
      Pete
    • R Coerse
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
        Pete,
        If your boat is one of the newer ones with a balsa cored hull getting a
        transducer to work internally may be problematic. If solid glass layup,
        it sahould work.

        Peter Tollini wrote:
        > My new Raymarine ST-60+ depthfinder works spectacularly - if I hold
        > the transducer in the water. I have tried several locations inside the
        > hull, built a great PVC waterbox, but cannot get a reliable return
        > through the hull. I've done the baggie full of water test to no avail.
        > I am about ready to throw in the towel and haul the boat to install
        > the transducer in the hole occupied by the dead Datamarine transducer.
        > ( I've been advised, on good authority, that it would not be a good
        > in-the-water project.) Any suggestions before I spend a week on the hard?
        > Pete

      • Mike Merriman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010

          A week?  At most you need a day.  You could even do it on a short haul if you arranged it over lunch…

          Mike Merriman

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
            It's a1988 - Glen didn't think the bottom was cored,but it sure acts like it is.  I need to check with our yard on a short haul. Most yards won't let you climb on the boat when it's in the slings.  If it has to be blocked, I can do it over a couple of weekday evenings touching up thebottom paint, and not miss a weekend. I just figured a week, because as soon as it's hauled the sky will open up.
            Pete

            Peter Tollini wrote:
            > My new Raymarine ST-60+ depthfinder works spectacularly - if I hold
            > the transducer in the water. I have tried several locations inside the
            > hull, built a great PVC waterbox, but cannot get a reliable return
            > through the hull. I've done the baggie full of water test to no avail.
            > I am about ready to throw in the towel and haul the boat to install
            > the transducer in the hole occupied by the dead Datamarine transducer.
            > ( I've been advised, on good authority, that it would not be a good
            > in-the-water project.) Any suggestions before I spend a week on the hard?
            > Pete

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               Sabresailboat-digest@yahoogroups.com
               Sabresailboat-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Bill Blalock
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
              Pete, assuming you're far enough off centerline to not be hitting the
              keel or the substantial glass around it, if the fiberglass layup has
              any voids or remotely dry areas in it at all the through the hull
              thing won't work.

              That was a long sentence. Stream of precoffee consciousness thought, I guess.

              Bill B

              On 7/1/10, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:
              > It's a1988 - Glen didn't think the bottom was cored,but it sure acts like it
              > is. I need to check with our yard on a short haul. Most yards won't let you
              > climb on the boat when it's in the slings. If it has to be blocked, I can
              > do it over a couple of weekday evenings touching up thebottom paint, and not
              > miss a weekend. I just figured a week, because as soon as it's hauled the
              > sky will open up.
              > Pete
              >
              > On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:14 PM, R Coerse <rcoerse@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Pete,
              >> If your boat is one of the newer ones with a balsa cored hull getting a
              >> transducer to work internally may be problematic. If solid glass layup,
              >> it sahould work.
              >>
              >> Peter Tollini wrote:
              >> > My new Raymarine ST-60+ depthfinder works spectacularly - if I hold
              >> > the transducer in the water. I have tried several locations inside the
              >> > hull, built a great PVC waterbox, but cannot get a reliable return
              >> > through the hull. I've done the baggie full of water test to no avail.
              >> > I am about ready to throw in the towel and haul the boat to install
              >> > the transducer in the hole occupied by the dead Datamarine transducer.
              >> > ( I've been advised, on good authority, that it would not be a good
              >> > in-the-water project.) Any suggestions before I spend a week on the
              >> > hard?
              >> > Pete

            • jimgolden
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
                Peter:

                I have a Sabre 28, and had the same problem. Tried several in hull transducers and none worked. I drilled into the fiberglas to install a thru hull (over an inch of fiberglass) and it works fine. I ended up with a Raymarine ST40, which works great for me.

                Like you, everything worked when I put the transducer in the water, but would never work inside the boat.

                That said, I have several nearly new in-hull transducers I can sell to anyone who wants one...

                Good luck!

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Thanks, Jim.  That's what I was afraid of.  I guess this thread has screwed your sale prospects for those in-hull transducers on this list.   Sorry.
                  Pete

                  On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM, jimgolden <jimgolden@...> wrote:

                  Peter:

                  I have a Sabre 28, and had the same problem. Tried several in hull transducers and none worked. I drilled into the fiberglas to install a thru hull (over an inch of fiberglass) and it works fine. I ended up with a Raymarine ST40, which works great for me.

                  Like you, everything worked when I put the transducer in the water, but would never work inside the boat.

                  That said, I have several nearly new in-hull transducers I can sell to anyone who wants one...

                  Good luck!

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                  > My new Raymarine ST-60+ depthfinder works spectacularly - if I hold the
                  > transducer in the water. I have tried several locations inside the hull,
                  > built a great PVC waterbox, but cannot get a reliable return through the
                  > hull. I've done the baggie full of water test to no avail. I am about
                  > ready to throw in the towel and haul the boat to install the transducer in
                  > the hole occupied by the dead Datamarine transducer. (I've been advised, on
                  > good authority, that it would not be a good in-the-water project.) Any
                  > suggestions before I spend a week on the hard?
                  > Pete

                • Tony Pensa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Pete

                    Try mineral spirits rather than water in the PVC box

                    Tony

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jul 1, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                    My new Raymarine ST-60+ depthfinder works spectacularly - if I hold the transducer in the water.  I have tried several locations inside the hull, built a great PVC waterbox, but cannot get a reliable return through the hull.  I've done the baggie full of water test to no avail.  I am about ready to throw in the towel and haul the boat to install the transducer in the hole occupied by the dead Datamarine transducer. ( I've been advised, on good authority, that it would not be a good in-the-water project.)  Any suggestions before I spend a week on the hard?
                    Pete

                  • Godwin Jones
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2010

                      My transducer on old datamarine shoots through hull with no problems.  I just put a wad of claer silicone on inside on hull (just behind holding tank), smeared transducer face with silicone and wiggled it down in place.  Over 12 years it has popped (or been knocked) loose only once.  Cleaned up and put it back again .

                      Godwin
                      Bojangles