Tashmoo

  • Carter Brey
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hi y'all,

      Anyone have up-to-the minute information on the depth at the entrance
      to Lake Tashmoo? Delphine is planning to visit at the top of the tide
      today.

      Very windy here in Cuttyhunk yesterday and today.

      Social notes from all over:

      Passed a Sabre 32 motoring in the opposite direction yesterday morning
      as we headed out east from Block, probably off Newport. I was setting
      the pole on the foredeck and we waved to each other. Was that anyone
      here?

      The Sturteyvants' S38 is moored 100 feet away.

      Carter Brey
      S28 Delphine
      City Island, NY
    • Leonard Bertaux
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
        Good morning Carter

        Very windy up here on the North Shore as well - the kids are all in sailing class on 420's and had an exciting day.
        I plan on spending the week of the 10th in Tashmoo. No first hand reports but in a phone conversation with the Tisbury Harbormaster he reports the channel is dredged to 8' every other year. Last year was the most recent dredging. As we draw 6'-6" we'd appreciate a report with first hand knowledge.
        All the best.

        Len Bertaux
        Walkabout S38 MKII

        On Jul 1, 2010, at 5:45 AM, Carter Brey wrote:

        Hi y'all,

        Anyone have up-to-the minute information on the depth at the entrance
        to Lake Tashmoo? Delphine is planning to visit at the top of the tide
        today.

        Very windy here in Cuttyhunk yesterday and today.

        Social notes from all over:

        Passed a Sabre 32 motoring in the opposite direction yesterday morning
        as we headed out east from Block, probably off Newport. I was setting
        the pole on the foredeck and we waved to each other. Was that anyone
        here?

        The Sturteyvants' S38 is moored 100 feet away.

        Carter Brey
        S28 Delphine
        City Island, NY

      • Barry Moskowitz
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
          I am envious Carter. Don't forget breakfast at the Black Dog. Tomorrow hopefully the doctor will take the compression boot off my formerly broken ankle and I can rehap to go with you next year. Barry.
        • David Evans
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
            We might make it across to Tashmoo but likely will hang out in Hadley for
            the weekend.
            dge
            Hickory Wind
            34-II

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
              Len,

              We're at anchor now in Lake Tashmoo. It was a phenomenal sail with a strong NW breeze down through Quick's Hole on a broad reach all the way to Gay Head, then a beam reach on port, single reef, all the way to Tashmoo with current assist. Very big rollers coming in straight from the Atlantic-- forgot to secure my sunshower on the sea hood and it went overboard on a particularly big swell.

              Okay, here's the skinny on depths that we saw. Keep
              In mind that we entered the lake a couple of hours before full high water. At the entrance there was a brief rise to 6.4, then it dropped off to an average of 8 for most of the cut. There was one place well inside the cut, near the second-to-last red nun, where it suddenly rose to 5.5.  You might squeak over that at full high water.

              It's very beautiful here.

              Best regards,
              Carter
              S28 mkII Delphine
              City Island, NY

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
                P. S. Keep in mind that the transducer of my depth finder is probably
                a foot below the waterline.

                CB

              • Leonard Bertaux
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Carter

                  Terrific information. Sounds like we need to traverse very close to high tide. Send pics!

                  Leonard Bertaux

                  Sent from my iPhone,

[...]

                • Daniel Trainor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
                    Carter - Relax - You don't draw enough - Enjoy!  - Dan

                    --
                    Dan

                  • Daniel Trainor

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2010
                          This always been true. Seems the same with most passages with one wall and one natural.
                          Here in Hadley with no raw water flow
                          dge

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 4, 2010

                            As soon as I had the Speedseal cover off I felt granules of rubber. New one greased, zip-tied and in place. And water out the stern again! Be a big help for the Sea Frost as well as getting home.
                            dge
                            Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                          • yaf001
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 4, 2010

                              Happy Fourth Dave!

                              It’s been a daysailing holiday weekend for us. Beautiful.

                              Incredibly all systems are currently functioning. Not only for a 24 year old boat but also a 72 year old codger!

                              Yves

                              NOT sent from an iPhone